Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Base 2D, 2.7l with Sasq with 3500 miles for sale at a dealer near me. MSRP $42k, asking $60k. Told them that I was a buyer at MSRP, they replied that they were in it for way over MSRP. Assuming that they did the same, paid another dealer's ADM and then added their own to the price lol.
Sponsored

Orf

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Flex, 2017 F-250, 2018 Sienna
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wrong. They pay invoice less a 3% reduction.this 3% is to help cover having inventory on lots.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Indeed. That's right.

So, yeah, I suppose they can't even order from Ford at MSRP... Since they order at or below "dealer invoice." :)
Incorrect. If a dealer provides you with the actual invoice for the vehicle provided to them by Ford, it does indicate what they paid to ford at the time the vehicle was built, not shipped. It also shows the 3% relief they receive. So true dealer cost is invoice less 3%.

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
We'll just have to agree to disagree.
You're flat Wong. My family had a Ford dealership for 97 years. I know what we did or didn't pay for vehicles and how it works with Ford. Sorry pal you're flat wrong on this.

And all dealers pay the same invoice prices for cars, so they can't say otherwise and not be lying. At least in our state.

Last edited:

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So true dealer cost is invoice less 3%.
My family had a Ford dealership for 97 years. I know what we did or didn't pay for vehicles and how it works
If that is truly the case, then how can a handful of dealerships sell Broncos at invoice -1k and even invoice -2k and still be profitable? Genuinely curious.

Sponsored

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If a dealer invoice is $7000, that's what they were charged the day the vehicle was built by Ford. Notice they don't even have possession of the vehicle yet as it still must be shipped to them. They pay for it before it even arrives on their lot. They will get 3%, which in this case would be $210 paid to them later. So their true price was 7000- 210 = 6790. This is before any interest charges on the vehicle while it sits on their lot, as 99% of dealers must finance their inventory as they don't have millions of dollars in cash laying around to purchase their inventories with.

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If that is truly the case, then how can a handful of dealerships sell Broncos at invoice -1k and even invoice -2k and still be profitable? Genuinely curious.
They make it up in trade-ins and back end products such as warranties, accessories, marked up financing rates etc. I know many dealerships that use the vehicle simply as the means to get back end profit. Many dealerships avg $3000+ or more on the back end of deals. They want and need volume and must make their profit on used/trade-ins or in their finance departments.

Also why you used to see $99 doc fees and now you can easily see doc fees of $500 to $600 dollars now. They help make up for giving the vehicle away as doc fees are essentially mark up on the vehicle.

Last edited:

BigBend1

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, 2012 Boss 302
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I saw a 'used' 2 Dr Base for $53k.....sales guy said they bought it at an auction. Told him I'd wait for $33K base to arrive instead.
Bronco Mania! Still waiting for my “Price Protected” 2 Door Base at $32K. With the current market, I an now considering flipping it and ordering a 2023 when the ordering window reopens, whenever that may be.

Last edited:

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'll go one further. I'll bet most sales people have no real idea what their dealership pays. That info is likely only privy to the GM and the Owner. I'm sure the sales people are told what the owner want them to be told.
True but why deal with that type of dealer. I've never had a problem getting to an owner or gm and seeing an invoice. And invoice pricing is often available online to verify if you don't believe them.

Orf

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Flex, 2017 F-250, 2018 Sienna
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Again, we will have to agree to disagree.

I'll leave these here, if anyone has time to kill. Two respected periodicals, one from 2018 and one from 2020. Both saying the same thing.

US News and World Report

Car and Driver

Sponsored

Coloradonatives

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Chevelle 2020 Chevy Traverse 2009 9-7x Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So dealerships selling to dealerships at a premium, therefore the first dealership is flipping for a profit (greater than their dealer margin) to another dealer, and then the second dealer is marking it up further?

Cool.

So a third dealer can come and convince the second dealer to flip it to them for a markup, and then the third dealer will list it at a higher markup.

Isn't this a pyramid scheme?
ONLY if there is a final buyer

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

I'll leave these here, if anyone has time to kill. Two respected periodicals, one from 2018 and one from 2020. Both saying the same thing.

US News and World Report

Car and Driver
But there really isnt anything to disagree about. I was in the business and know what a Ford dealer does and doesn't pay. Sorry nothing to disagree with me about.

Last edited:

Coloradonatives

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Chevelle 2020 Chevy Traverse 2009 9-7x Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw a 'used' 2 Dr Base for $53k.....sales guy said they bought it at an auction. Told him I'd wait for $33K base to arrive instead.
legally "used" means titled, and/or in some states that it has reached a mileage threshold. In my day we had to pull vehicles out of demo service before that threshold because "used" meant that we then had to pay Ford, GM, etc for that vehicle and also not be able to sell it as new.

Last edited:

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

US News and World Report

Car and Driver
I explained it to you in simple terms. If you can't understand or don't want to believe someone who was in the business for years, that's on you.

Last edited:

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They make it up in trade-ins and back end products such as warranties, accessories, marked up financing rates etc.
Cutting your price upfront in hopes of making it up on the back end doesn't sound like a very good business strategy. Especially since an invoice -2k deal would be below actual cost on any Bronco less than 70k. And one sub invoice dealer also sells those warranties at cost +50.

How long have you been out of the business? Maybe things have changed since you left? I am thinking there is more too it than a true cost of invoice less 3%. Math doesn't seem to work out otherwise.
Sponsored

Reactions: Orf