David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is good advice now, since they removed the Base Sasquatch. In the first couple years, you could pick up the Base Sas for cheaper than the BD with the weaker components, cheap shocks and worse gearing. I'm not one for adding trinkets like spending $800 on different headlights or mudflaps, however for how reasonable the upgraded engine was priced it was a no-brainer, special considering how many guys who bought the 4 bangers then added the performance kit (which forces them into premium gas).
Base SAS was a great buy. Unfortunately it was automatic only in four door (I unfortunately require the space, and my wife hates automatics even more than I do..) and a washout interior is really a plus with my part-time police/SAR K9 business. So BD it was, a set of Bilstein 5100's cured the cheap shocks. 4.46 pairs well with the 33's but if I ever go 34's it will be 4.70 and if would ever go 35's it would be even lower.

I haven't been held up for the lack of a front locker, only breakover (hence the 5100's and 33's), but if I am, even if I buy the FP M210 I'll still be way under a badlands. Heck, with the Grangetober deal I'll still be well under what was sticker when I bought it. M210 would be the time to regear to 4.70 and run true 34's.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
2.3 is one of the best engines Ford has built in the past 20 years. Also, you canā€™t pair a manual trans with a 2.7 and THAT is the best feature of all to make sure your Bronco has. The manual is such a blast to drive and silky smooth (as long as you donā€™t get one that rattles when itā€™s cold)

HolidayDog

Everglades
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

2.3 has all the power you need.

I feel like Iā€™m 16 againā€¦.but now I am more aware of the relationship between my gas pedal and my checking account.

I canā€™t imagine you will ever really need more power than the 2.3 to move a 5k lb Brick on wheels.

Me: 2.3 more door auto sas

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2.3 is one of the best engines Ford has built in the past 20 years. Also, you canā€™t pair a manual trans with a 2.7 and THAT is the best feature of all to make sure your Bronco has. The manual is such a blast to drive and silky smooth (as long as you donā€™t get one that rattles when itā€™s cold)
Except that Mazda built the ecoboost version. Itā€™s a completely different animal from the old 2.3 of Pintos, older Rangers and Turbo Coupe t-birds which were tough engines also yes.

Sponsored

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Except that Mazda built the ecoboost version. Itā€™s a completely different animal from the old 2.3 of Pintos, older Rangers and Turbo Coupe t-birds which were tough engines also yes.
true lol I just meant in general itā€™s one of the better engines offered by Ford in recent years. Proven, powerful, efficient

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nope, lockers and gear ratios. Can't really find a solution for that on the 3.73 gearing that doesn't cost more than the sas package.
Rear locker+auto gets you 4.27. Manual gets you at least 4.46.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I was stunned with how poor the fuel economy was ;)
I just did +20MPG highway on my Base 2.3 manual/4.46 and 35's ....again!
I was , as you'd say, stunned. :wink: šŸ˜‚

(in town ...16 :( )

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Should have made a poll for this thread !!!!

brkdncr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

2.3 has all the power you need.

I feel like Iā€™m 16 againā€¦.but now I am more aware of the relationship between my gas pedal and my checking account.

I canā€™t imagine you will ever really need more power than the 2.3 to move a 5k lb Brick on wheels.

Me: 2.3 more door auto sas
Whatā€™s crazy is my old Lincoln with a 7L boat anchor has as much power as these new engines with less than 3L

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 2.7 twin turbo torque, especially with Sasquatch 4.7 gearing, is what will send you ripping past every 2.3. Combine that with the 2dr short wheelbase and holy sh!t, even without tunes, mods or signal boosters. Just use premium fuel all the time and šŸ¤©

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.3 is fine in the Broncos. I chose 2.3 because I wanted the 7mt. Makes plenty of power for me. Add some premium fuel for a few extra ponies, or the Ford tune.

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isnā€™t the 2.3l direct injection only? If so, at some point it will need a valve job way before the port+direct injection 2.7. Especially if the turbo starts to release oil into the intake like every turbo ever does.
Plenty of DI vehicles on the roads these days, and I haven't heard of any of them needing valve jobs. Ive walnut blasted some Honda Fit valves for carbon deposits causing issues, but no serious head issues, yet.
Sponsored