First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just found this dent in the door sill of bronco. It's in the rear door which really is only used by kids who weigh 100-130lbs. Looks like the sill just could not handle the weight, but that seems absurdly fragile. Anyone else with this kind of issue?

IMG_8352.jpg

IMG_8113.jpg

IMG_8114.jpg
Sponsored

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clearly someone dropped something there

OP
OP
dsgordo0

dsgordo0

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yikes. Maybe a PDR guy can pop it back out then you can put a sill protector over it.
Taking it over to the dealer to get an opinion, but after that will try the PDR route.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dsgordo0

dsgordo0

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Stop closing seat belts in the door.
I thought of that, but this is the lower sill and toward the front of the car. The amount of slack in the belt is beyond what I've seen. Typically, you can catch the belt in the side sill, but not all the way down by the step.

ferbm

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple SUVs, couple clunkers, one sweet ride.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It took a lot of force to create that dent. If you go over to the other side and jump up and down on the sill, it wont budge. It's highly improbable that your 130lb child did this through normal use! I agree with the previous poster, this was done by accidentally dropping something very heavy or slamming something solid into the door.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

that's not a kid stepping on it. that's something much bigger or something dropped.

ferbm

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple SUVs, couple clunkers, one sweet ride.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another quick thought. Take a peek at the door itself right were it would meet up with the dent. If that's not at a minimum scratched, you can likely rule out slamming the door shut on something.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

see if there's a matching ding underneath your driver's seat, I bet they dropped the seat while installing it.

Sponsored

Braaap

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Base
Did you check the bottom of the door for damage? Maybe the door was closed on something, leaving an impression on the sill and door.

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It the paint damaged? It doesn't look like it in your pics.... which means it was dented before it was painted.... and clearly a manufacturing defect.

OP
OP
dsgordo0

dsgordo0

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OK. So here is the update:

1. There have been a couple of good hypotheses regarding the cause, but... This was not "pre-paint"., nor was it the front seat installation. I've had the car for 5 months and this is new within the last week or two. I did look under the door. There is no matching dent or paint scuff to indicate that something got stuck... but this is still a possibility. Most likely, this was from something (which I can not identify) getting dropped on the sill.

2. I took this to a recommended PDR shop. They were able to pull out the dent pretty flawlessly, but not without causing the paint to chip. They touched that up and it looks ok. This is a high contact area that is going to scuff-up anyway. I may get some scuff stickers or something from underground graphics to cover/protect this.

I will say that I was surprised that this dent could occur without anyone realizing it. Overall, I consider this a little bit of a design flaw... the amount of exposed paint in a step area and how easy it was to dent the metal here. No biggie. Every car I have has design elements I do not love.

Thanks for the brain storming and suggestions

Pirate Steve

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2019 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just found this dent in the door sill of bronco. It's in the rear door which really is only used by kids who weigh 100-130lbs. Looks like the sill just could not handle the weight, but that seems absurdly fragile. Anyone else with this kind of issue?

Ford Bronco Dented Door Sill? IMG_8114

OK. So here is the update:

1. There have been a couple of good hypotheses regarding the cause, but... This was not "pre-paint"., nor was it the front seat installation. I've had the car for 5 months and this is new within the last week or two. I did look under the door. There is no matching dent or paint scuff to indicate that something got stuck... but this is still a possibility. Most likely, this was from something (which I can not identify) getting dropped on the sill.

2. I took this to a recommended PDR shop. They were able to pull out the dent pretty flawlessly, but not without causing the paint to chip. They touched that up and it looks ok. This is a high contact area that is going to scuff-up anyway. I may get some scuff stickers or something from underground graphics to cover/protect this.

I will say that I was surprised that this dent could occur without anyone realizing it. Overall, I consider this a little bit of a design flaw... the amount of exposed paint in a step area and how easy it was to dent the metal here. No biggie. Every car I have has design elements I do not love.

Thanks for the brain storming and suggestions
We are having the same issue, only with a series of very small dents. The dealer body shop says the metal is very thin and we are stepping there, which is NOT the case. It seems to be a mystery.

Resized_20230216_110957.jpeg

OP
OP
dsgordo0

dsgordo0

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We are having the same issue, only with a series of very small dents. The dealer body shop says the metal is very thin and we are stepping there, which is NOT the case. It seems to be a mystery.

Ford Bronco Dented Door Sill? Resized_20230216_110957
Those look even harder to diagnose than mine. Seatbelt getting jammed in door?
Sponsored