Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Of course, Ford has another side of the WWII story too. Make that money. Even sued the US after the war to reclaim loses from Ford factories bombed out in Germany and France.
Yes, my Great Uncle fought with Patton and told me decades ago that Ford made many parts/vehicles for the German war effort. He saw Ford plants everywhere over there. Henry was a true blue capitalist and made doe ray me where ever he could find it, politics be damned.
Tommy Bronc
Sponsored

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco Did you know Ford built Jeeps and gave it  it’s iconic grill henry_ford_grand_cross_1938

Ford recieving the grand cross of the German eagle in 1938, from a couple nazis.

He was the first american to recieve it.

Hitler really liked Ford, and Ford certainly held admiration for Hitlers efforts..

OP
OP
Fordmanfrombirth

Fordmanfrombirth

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

henry_ford_grand_cross_1938.jpg

Ford recieving the grand cross of the German eagle in 1938, from a couple nazis.

He was the first american to recieve it.

Hitler really liked Ford, and Ford certainly held admiration for Hitlers efforts..
IBM helped the Nazis
Ford Bronco Did you know Ford built Jeeps and gave it  it’s iconic grill IMG_1048

let’s not forget Time Magazine’s man of the year.
Ford Bronco Did you know Ford built Jeeps and gave it  it’s iconic grill IMG_1050

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mahindra made CJ5s in India (with permission from Jeep) until 2010. And still sell them here in the US as a SxS. They got sued by Fiat even though the agreement wasn't violated since they aren't selling them as "motor vehicles," so Fiat had to go after the trademark of the seven bar grille (won) and flat top fenders (lost).

They certainly made some big changes and improvements over the CJ5, but the body is essentially visually unchanged.

Taltyman

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Rubicon, Ford F350, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yes most of know. Why does it surprise you? A lot of people made "jeeps" during WWII. I have a rifle from WWII that was made by a jukebox company.
When I had my gun store I had one made by the typewriter company Smith Corona, wish I had kept it.

Sponsored

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe the oldest surviving example of any of these former GPW builders is a Ford.

jmadsen

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F350, 2017 Explorer, 1945 Ford GPW, 53 C6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here is my 45 Ford GPW. My Grandfather purchased it in the late 60's its been modified in unfortunate ways back in the 70's 80's by family members. my uncle gave it to us in mid 80's. He drove it from St George Utah to Custer South Dakota.
I learned to drive in this jeep in the late 80's early 90's. I remember one winter in South Dakota it was our only running vehicle for a couple weeks in the middle of winter, that was fun. no heater; not that it would have helped much :)
my mom gave it to me in 97 after she moved to Cortez Colorado and I drove it home to Salt lake. rebuilt the transmission, painted it back to original color. drove it occasionaly for 16 years or so , then stored from not running great and engine froze up. rebuilt the engine a few years ago and now back in action again. my kids now 18 and 20 have been able to enjoy driving it a bit over the last few years. the still needs some love though.
Ford Bronco Did you know Ford built Jeeps and gave it  it’s iconic grill GPW 1945 3
Ford Bronco Did you know Ford built Jeeps and gave it  it’s iconic grill 20200808_192523_HDR
Ford Bronco Did you know Ford built Jeeps and gave it  it’s iconic grill Screenshot_20230125-084948
Also found myself another project I dont need, a 45 MB that hasnt been butchered up, just needs re assembled (restoration)

OP
OP
Fordmanfrombirth

Fordmanfrombirth

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thank you for sharing the great story and wonderful photos. You are indeed blessed to have this gem kept in the family!

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford produced B-24 bombers as well as Sherman tanks...built a huge assortment of war materials as one of the major manufacturers of "the sleeping giant". I believe "old man" Henry's admiration of the Nazis in thier early days is of public record...which he recanted, when war was imminent. Hard to imagine a time when we Americans all pull together? Post war IIRC there was a "derby" of sorts as to which manufacturer would retain the rights to manufacture a "civilian Jeep" (CJ). Willys Overland won the derby, as it was decided that Jeep production was essential to thier existence as a company. The rest, as they say, is history!
Sponsored