Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was surprised the Ford was asked to help produce the Willy’s Jeep in WWII.

Enjoy with your Jeep buddies. Love it, but don‘t put ducks on your dash please.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fordmanfrombirth

Fordmanfrombirth

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes most of know. Why does it surprise you? A lot of people made "jeeps" during WWII. I have a rifle from WWII that was made by a jukebox company.
I knew Ford built Jeeps in WW II and put the ‘F’ on all of their bolts. I didn’t realize they created the Jeep iconic grill.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes most of know. Why does it surprise you? A lot of people made "jeeps" during WWII. I have a rifle from WWII that was made by a jukebox company.
My brother, in his early 30’s, owns a Wrangler and has no idea.

I’d bet a lot of Bronco owners and old heads know the WWII history. But a lot of younger, casual Jeep owners have no idea. I also bet as Bronco’s become more widely available, less people know the story and just want it as a convertible for their high school daughter.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Did you know that Mitsubishi also built Jeeps? After the war of course.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fordmanfrombirth

Fordmanfrombirth

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My brother, in his early 30’s, owns a Wrangler and has no idea.

I’d bet a lot of Bronco owners and old heads know the WWII history. But a lot of younger, casual Jeep owners have no idea. I also bet as Bronco’s become more widely available, less people know the story and just want it as a convertible for their high school daughter.
Sadly very true. What this country did to save the whole world is no longer taught and no longer remembered🥲
Did you know that Mitsubishi also built Jeeps? After the war of course.
I do know the south Koreans stole US Jeeps and painted them white and the US couldn’t do anything about it in the Koren War. My dad told me about that.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I saw that video last night. I knew Ford made roughly 40% of the WWII jeeps. Didn't know that Ford had developed the stamping for the grill.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Of course, Ford has another side of the WWII story too. Make that money. Even sued the US after the war to reclaim loses from Ford factories bombed out in Germany and France.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yep, did know that. It is called a GPW. Saw real ones in Houston TX. Still had the Ford logo on the bolts.

Ford Bronco Did you know Ford built Jeeps and gave it  it’s iconic grill 20190613_103514

along with the first "JEEP" by Bantam.

Ford Bronco Did you know Ford built Jeeps and gave it  it’s iconic grill 20190613_103439

Ford Bronco Did you know Ford built Jeeps and gave it  it’s iconic grill 20190613_103431

Ford Bronco Did you know Ford built Jeeps and gave it  it’s iconic grill 1690502189127

Made in Butler PA !!!!!! 😁

Last edited:

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Of course, Ford has another side of the WWII story too. Make that money. Even sued the US after the war to reclaim loses from Ford factories bombed out in Germany and France.
This is true. They had a pretty strong presence in Germany during the lead up to war.

Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sadly very true. What this country did to save the whole world is no longer taught and no longer remembered
WWII? I feel like there's hardly 2 dozen people at our firehouse for the 9/11 memorial...

We always do our best to teach our kids right. It's important they know that there's people who run into danger and we should always honor that sacrifice.

OP
OP
Fordmanfrombirth

Fordmanfrombirth

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

WWII? I feel like there's hardly 2 dozen people at our firehouse for the 9/11 memorial...

We always do our best to teach our kids right. It's important they know that there's people who run into danger and we should always honor that sacrifice.
I was at the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in 2002 in NYC. Heart breaking to see the NYPD and NYFD marching with photos of their comrades who died that day. There was a heartfelt out pouring of patriotism as evetyone sang God Bless America etc. the next year when we were there, it was like it never happened. I could not believe the change.

Benzo

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many to list
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was informed a long time back by an old WWII veteran that the word Jeep came from the vehicle's letter designation in the military. He had an authentic Ford F script GPW too that he kept after the war. He said that when you went to the motor pool, you requested vehicles by their letter designation. When you made the request for a GPW, it sounds like Jeep before saying the W. He said the W became silent and all the models ended up being called Jeeps.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know IH made some rifles, a Ford rifle would be kind of cool to have but it would probably blow up.

I’d bet a lot of Bronco owners and old heads know the WWII history. But a lot of younger, casual Jeep owners have no idea.
IMO the influx of casual owners that arrived with the 4dr was terrible for Jeep culture, and I think that is root of why many of us don't like the 4dr Bronco.

Red Squatch

Heritage
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cobra convertible
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Yep, did know that. It is called a GPW. Saw real ones in Houston TX. Still had the Ford logo on the bolts.

Ford Bronco Did you know Ford built Jeeps and gave it  it’s iconic grill 1690502189127

along with the first "JEEP" by Bantam.

Made in Butler PA !!!!!! 😁
My hometown and we are proud to be the birthplace of the Jeep. The Bantam Car Company won the competition for the reconaissance vehicle but the government knew the tiny company couldn't produce the quantities needed for the war effort, so they handed their design to Ford and Willys. They got the trailer contract as a consolation prize.

bantam jeep.jpg
Sponsored