First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recently purchased three Chevy Silverado 1500 ecodiesel trucks for the company fleet. The up charge over a 5.3L gas engine is currently $995, and I got 30 mpg out of the truck I drive last tank. I wouldn’t own one out of extended warranty, but I’d certainly be interested in a diesel Bronco.
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m not sure why you highlighted the part about removing emissions equipment.

The diesel is a $4,500 option on the jeep.

At $2.50/gallon for regular, driving 15,000 miles a year @ 22MPG(HWY) it will cost $1,704 in fuel costs

For $3.50/gallon for diesel driving 15,000 miles a year at 29MPG(HWY) it will cost $1,810 in fuel costs every year.

You actually said 28MPG which would mean $1,875 in fuel costs a year.

So in essence you save $100 a year, which means it will take 45 years to recoup your costs. 45 years at 15,000 miles a year would be 675,000 miles driven.

Spare to guess how much that would cost to keep the emissions equipment in check for that long if the normal modern diesel truck can barely go 150,000 miles without $15,000 in repairs?

Scratch that I misread my own math, it cost $100 more in fuel to drive the diesel each year. Your paying more money to pay more money. Buy the damn 392 if thats the goal, at least you’ll have the cool engine.
Now if we say Diesel is $3.00 a gallon my previous comment works

@$3.00 a gallon the cost per 15K miles is $1,607 on a vehicle getting 28MPG.

So....

So in essence you save $100 a year, which means it will take 45 years to recoup your costs. 45 years at 15,000 miles a year would be 675,000 miles driven.

Spare to guess how much that would cost to keep the emissions equipment in check for that long if the normal modern diesel truck can barely go 150,000 miles without $15,000 in repairs?

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
????

I’m not sure why you’re Trolling this post, I would like to see an option for a selection.
I’m not trolling anyone, you’re the one that highlighted breaking federal laws and then mentioning Jeep?

I’m showing why it is mathematically pointless for manufacturers, and consumers, to justify the costs of a modern diesel over the gas option.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love the idea of diesels, but would never own a modern one, for all those reasons NCOBX highlighted. It's significantly more expensive all around.

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 1979 Bronco, F250 Super Crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the idea of a diesel option, or combination with diesel electric drive, no matter how you spin it it would be Awesome.

y’all please forgive and don’t pay any attention to the person trolling this. Guess they believe theirs is the only way to think, but I am sure happy there are others here that like the idea of other options, v6, v8, diesel, electric, hybrid.

Last edited:

Sponsored

broncoj11

Badlands
First Name
Trunks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’d love to see it but it’s not going to happen. There will be a hybrid, 100% electric bronco before there’s a diesel one://////

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Won’t ever happen with the American political landscape :/

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My garage has 3 diesels in it right now; 97 F250 7.3 Powerstroke, 2015 Audi A6 3.0 TDI, and a 2016 Audi Q5 3.0 TDI. All fabulous drives. The A6 has almost 700 miles of range freeway driving (38MPG) and 550 around town (28MPG). The Q5 will do 550 on the freeway (32MPG) and 425 around town (26MPG). I can get close to 500 miles out of the F250 on the freeway and 425 around town. I have been driving diesels since 1986 and have had nothing but good luck and happy times with them.
The FCA 3.0 Diesels are sourced from VW, same engine that's in my Audis.
BTW: @NCOBX Diesel and Reg are both about the same here +/- 6 cents.

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Won’t ever happen with the American political landscape :/
wow you write just like the other guy but with a different name. your comment made absolutely no sense, well not in relation to this topic.

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

wow you write just like the other guy but with a different name. your comment made absolutely no sense, well not in relation to this topic.
look at diesel produced models in the US. Very few, lot of emissions tightening with the expectation that it’s going to get tighter. Meanwhile South Africa, Australia and many other countries with 4x4 enthusiasts are getting vehicles like the hilux which lets be honest is a Tacoma with a diesel motor. I can run into Mexico and buy a diesel Tacoma but it’s not even an option here in the USA.

not really sure why this had seemed to strike a chord with you. Id love a small turbo diesel bronco with a manual but here we are. I’ve come to accept it’s probably not a reality.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
not really sure why this had seemed to strike a chord with you. Id love a small turbo diesel bronco with a manual but here we are. I’ve come to accept it’s probably not a reality.
your first post didn’t make any sense, well not to me about this topic. Glad you like the idea of a diesel, just want to see lots of options let see a turbo charged anything, manual transmission, CVT, Automatic, electric, hybrid, v6, v8, diesel. Let see options. I’ll take my badlands when it’s built, but if a diesel option pops up I’m changing over

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nope, the EPA has issued rules (not legislated, they are un-elected), that kill the financial advantage of diesels unless you are towing more than a handful of tons. If DPF and maybe urea go away and the politicians tell the soy lobby to cram it and allow a max of 2-3% bio in the diesel..., but It ain't gonna happen.

KaneNorth

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Might consider it if I lived somewhere where it didn't get cold in the winter. All of the new diesel light duty trucks seem like they have nothing but reliability problems with all the DEF systems failing in the dead of winter where I live in Canada. Also diesel is a bit more expensive than gas here.
Sponsored