Sponsored

Poll V8 vs Diesel Option

**Warning** Hypothetical! If Ford only offered one of these options, which would you prefer to see

• Total voters
OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nothing back then was exactly a powerhouse. LOL But relative to the gassers back then they were just fine.
Thats definitely true!
Sponsored

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Before I say anything else, this is a totally hypothetical question that has no bearing on reality! I have no insider knowledge and also don't care to be lectured on "false hope". This is purely a "just out of my own curiosity where does everyone stand", type of question. Partly inspired by the lackluster response to the Bronco Raptor.

I love V8's and I love diesels. My favorites are diesel v8's but that is too insane even for this hypothetical question. I imagine that the vast majority of forum members, and probably the market in general would prefer a V8 option to a diesel option. If I had to choose myself, I would choose a diesel. I am curious to see if I am part of the 1% or more like part of the 10% or heck maybe even half of you would prefer the diesel!

I grew up around diesels (trucks and tractors) and have always been a fan off their efficiency and power delivery. Though they are practically always less powerful than a gasser of similar size, they almost always deliver that power in a manner that makes them deceptively more competitive and useful (via the low end immediate torque). I also love V8's and the high transient power they offer as well as the amazing sound, though diesels have their own form of angelic clatter imo. My dream Bronco would be a 3 liter inline 6 diesel backed by a manual.

Curious what other people think about our fantasy powertrains?
Clearly, you're an insider with direct knowledge of Ford's plans for both a V8 and a diesel.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Hard choice, but I'd pick diesel. I love the 2.8 in my ZR2.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I lost any interest in owning a diesel when the Feds adopted their new ultra-low sulfur standard. The resultant huge increase in cost eliminated any cost savings.

Plus in my state, you have to run a Diesel on the treadmill at the smog station, whereas on a gas burner they just read out the ODBII port, so the biannual smog check is a PITA.

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Clearly, you're an insider with direct knowledge of Ford's plans for both a V8 and a diesel.
How did you know they are going to offer an updated 8V92T?I

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Electric. 4 hub motors, portal axle style, 350-mile range. 400HP total, 750lb-ft would do just fine.
Have you seen the new Ford EV crate motor? It makes crazy power numbers and only weighs 200 lbs.

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The growing Hybrid lineup that has started with the F150 and is going to continue with the Mustang, Bronco and Ranger6G is going to replace both engines eventually.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Neither. Electric all the way!

Sponsored

Big Foot

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KIA Sorrento
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd go for the turbo diesel.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd take a small diesel if anyone at all could get one right. No manufacturer has made a reliable powerful and efficient small diesel in decades. Thanks a lot government bullshit.
Yeah, with the constraints of modern exhaust tech I'd have to pick the V8 over any diesel. If we're talking 20 years ago the low end torque and fuel mileage of the diesel would win out.

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you’ve not owned a moden Diesel and say you want one, do it under warranty only.

Modern diesels are being limped as we type due to DEF tank and exhaust sensor failure by the thousands Right now. This is on road and off road equipment. There is zero inventory of these parts and people are paying hundreds to thousands over MSRP just to get a “new” truck or equipment back in service. the engines are fine, the exhaust nanny is just upset and can’t let the equipment run.

Wet stacking at idle, city, trail driving plus having to do highway runs to clean exhaust, no thanks. There is a place for modern diesels and its not idling down your favorite trail at 5-7mph.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You make this question very tough. I would love to see both and would have to put a lot of careful consideration if they were to offer both a far as which one I would go with. That said, I'm a diesel nut and it would probably be sitting in front of the house over the v8. The torque and efficiency would win me over. I just traded in my '16 Ram 3500 with the 6.7 HO/Aisin combination on the Bronco. I love the Bronco but I already miss my truck. Only reason it got traded was the price they offered for it meant that I had effectively owned it for the cost of fuel, registration, and insurance cost. It made more sense to replace it with a new one once sanity comes back around.

GoArmyGA

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BB Black
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I voted V8 but I really want bullet proof reliability (ala Toyota). So I-6 or Diesel. Looking at my BB’s 2.3-4TT and all the plastic has me cringing of another BMW scenario where I’ve had to replace everything in the engine bay
Sponsored