Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would live a diesel. I hate that Ford uses diesels worldwide but only 2 Diesel engines are available in the US.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
But why, it’s not 2006 any more. Diesel have a huge up front cost over gas engine options, the fuel is in many places $1.00 more than regular gas. Then you have to worry about the ridiculous amount of emissions equipment that will eventually require repairs, at times in excess of $5,000.

The days of diesel in less than a full-size truck are coming to an end. You have a better chance of getting a V8 which in the long run would be significantly cheaper to run and have more power to boot.

And unless your constantly towing over 15,000 lbs in the F250 I can’t even see a reason to buy the Powerstroke over the 7.3L Gasser as far as big trucks go.

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 1979 Bronco, F250 Super Crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for your thoughts, I like a diesel, more torque, and better fuel mileage which some on here deem more important than other options. Been owning an F250 with diesel for many years. Less service required than any gasser I’ve owned. Lots of power yes I can tow just about anything I want, love the low end torque, and off the line it’s amazing, it’s a 2006 and I still get 18mpg around town just over 20 on the highway. So why Diesel, Why Not it may not be for everyone but give us an option.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you for your thoughts, I like a diesel, more torque, and better fuel mileage which some on here deem more important than other options. Been owning an F250 with diesel for many years. Less service required than any gasser I’ve owned. Lots of power yes I can tow just about anything I want, love the low end torque, and off the line it’s amazing, it’s a 2006 and I still get 18mpg around town just over 20 on the highway. So why Diesel, Why Not it may not be for everyone but give us an option.
Notice how I mentioned 2006?

It’s the last year emissions free, I have no doubts your 2006 diesel has been fantastic, but modern diesels suck if your the one buying them. I love them as a company vehicle, but I also love swiping the company card when those $8,500, $3,100, and $6,900 repair bills all hit before 150,000 miles.

The 7.3L gasser is capable of 15-17MPG Highway and has nearly 500ft-lbs torque. I think that’s a slam dunk without having to deal with emissions equipment.

Sponsored

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Without the emissions crap - yes
With the emissions crap - no

Not a direct compare but I think a hybrid is more likely to give similar low end torque as as a diesel not to mention FAST acceleration! I would love to see a jeep 4xe equivalent on the bronco with about 50 miles of electric only range for daily gas free commute and quiet off road experience. I would love the hybrid to also have the generator option like on the power boost for camping (assuming the longevity is solid on it), while still having a gas tank for road trips and longer off-road adventures. I also would love it to be full sized, if we are dreaming now!

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Notice how I mentioned 2006?

It’s the last year emissions free, I have no doubts your 2006 diesel has been fantastic, but modern diesels suck if your the one buying them. I love them as a company vehicle, but I also love swiping the company card when those $8,500, $3,100, and $6,900 repair bills all hit before 150,000 miles.

The 7.3L gasser is capable of 15-17MPG Highway and has nearly 500ft-lbs torque. I think that’s a slam dunk without having to deal with emissions equipment.
All those emission parts are removable.

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Without the emissions crap - yes
With the emissions crap - no

Not a direct compare but I think a hybrid is more likely to give similar low end torque as as a diesel not to mention FAST acceleration! I would love to see a jeep 4xe equivalent on the bronco with about 50 miles of electric only range for daily gas free commute and quiet off road experience. I would love the hybrid to also have the generator option like on the power boost for camping (assuming the longevity is solid on it), while still having a gas tank for road trips and longer off-road adventures. I also would love it to be full sized, if we are dreaming now!
A hybrid option with a small diesel for an electric drive Wow that would be Awesome. You would be looking at close to 80mpg with all the emissions with electric power the torque would be fantastic.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
All those emission parts are removable.
Depends where you live. And even for those of us not living in communist utopias, I’m not sure the aftermarket even exists any longer for the current crop of diesels the way the EPA has been coming down.

The way turbo gas engines pollute NOX emissions they’ll be next on the kill list and we’ll be right back to N/A V6 and V8s.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'd love the range but not the headache. I wonder how long it will take for somebody to mate the 4BT to the 7MT? :cool:

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A hybrid option with a small diesel for an electric drive Wow that would be Awesome. You would be looking at close to 80mpg with all the emissions with electric power the torque would be fantastic.
I didn't think I was going to jump in with all of the anticipated dead horse beating, but...

I've been dreaming of DE passenger vehicles and pickups for decades! While not my cup of tea--not that tea itself is either--there have been DE motorcycle attempts. I would love to see an F-250 DE hybrid that literally pulls like a freight train!

Edit:
4BT swap and rattle your teeth out?

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And even for those of us not living in communist utopias,
Jeep is still offering a diesel option for 2021 in American.

Powered by the available 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 engine, the Jeep® Gladiator offers Best-in-Class torque of up to 442 pound-feet( Disclosure4), so you can take on the toughest drives with ease. Plus, a fuel economy rating of up to 28 highway mpg( Disclosure5) provides impressive efficiency.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Jeep is still offering a diesel option for 2021 in American.

Powered by the available 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 engine, the Jeep® Gladiator offers Best-in-Class torque of up to 442 pound-feet( Disclosure4), so you can take on the toughest drives with ease. Plus, a fuel economy rating of up to 28 highway mpg( Disclosure5) provides impressive efficiency.
I’m not sure why you highlighted the part about removing emissions equipment.

The diesel is a $4,500 option on the jeep.

At $2.50/gallon for regular, driving 15,000 miles a year @ 22MPG(HWY) it will cost $1,704 in fuel costs

For $3.50/gallon for diesel driving 15,000 miles a year at 29MPG(HWY) it will cost $1,810 in fuel costs every year.

You actually said 28MPG which would mean $1,875 in fuel costs a year.

So in essence you save $100 a year, which means it will take 45 years to recoup your costs. 45 years at 15,000 miles a year would be 675,000 miles driven.

Spare to guess how much that would cost to keep the emissions equipment in check for that long if the normal modern diesel truck can barely go 150,000 miles without $15,000 in repairs?

Scratch that I misread my own math, it cost $100 more in fuel to drive the diesel each year. Your paying more money to pay more money. Buy the damn 392 if thats the goal, at least you’ll have the cool engine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not sure why you highlighted the part about removing emissions equipment.
????

I’m not sure why you’re Trolling this post, I would like to see an option for a selection.
Sponsored