Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Engine has a crack, coolant leaking in one of the cylinders. New engine comes with a 3 year warranty. Car has 85,000 miles, body is in good condition. Will need new tires soon. I appreciate the options and will need to consider each of them.
If you get fixed, keep your receipt, I can see this becoming a class action one of these days.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MBLANCHARD

MBLANCHARD

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
call ford and explain your situation on how it’s just out of warranty. The automakers have been known to extend them out to help or offer a discount on the parts. It’s worth a shot. Your only 3 months out of warranty. Also I believe there might be something called a good faith repair. I know I’ve heard of it before with other auto makers.
Thanks, I was looking into that and will give it a try

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just found out that my 2014 Ford escape needs a new engine. My wife and I share this car and were planning on trading it in when the Bronco comes.
Ironically, I had a 7 year extended warranty that ended in July and now 3 months later this happens. Originally, like most people I thought I would get the Bronco in the spring or summer of 21'. With the prices of used cars nowadays, I am trying to figure out whether to have my car fixed or try to buy something to hold me over.
I have a 7/26/20 reservation on a 2 door.
Any thoughts?
A coworker just blew the engine in her Escape too...$8k is what the dealership quoted her to replace it. Not sure of the year, but looks like it might be a 14' also. That sucks.

Do you have a VIN?

If not, I would probably buy something to hold you over. Buy a Toyota Rav or or Corolla...something like that, drive it a few months, then sell it for close to what you paid for it. I wouldn't go ultra cheap, the maintenance costs could eat you and you may spend my trying to save $ than if you just spent a little more upfront.

Just my .02.

OP
OP
MBLANCHARD

MBLANCHARD

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow, I’d look for a junk yard motor with under 100k and a service history to toss in there.

1.6L?

Yes, 1.6L. After researching, I see there has been some issues.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MBLANCHARD

MBLANCHARD

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A coworker just blew the engine in her Escape too...$8k is what the dealership quoted her to replace it. Not sure of the year, but looks like it might be a 14' also. That sucks.

Do you have a VIN?

If not, I would probably buy something to hold you over. Buy a Toyota Rav or or Corolla...something like that, drive it a few months, then sell it for close to what you paid for it. I wouldn't go ultra cheap, the maintenance costs could eat you and you may spend my trying to save $ than if you just spent a little more upfront.

Just my .02.

No VIN yet.

Thanks

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wow, I’d look for a junk yard motor with under 100k and a service history to toss in there.
Yes, 1.6L. After researching, I see there has been some issues.
Had a 14 with the 1.6, engine was good for us but we serviced it like clockwork. It was the tranny that scared me.

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just found out that my 2014 Ford escape needs a new engine. My wife and I share this car and were planning on trading it in when the Bronco comes.
Ironically, I had a 7 year extended warranty that ended in July and now 3 months later this happens. Originally, like most people I thought I would get the Bronco in the spring or summer of 21'. With the prices of used cars nowadays, I am trying to figure out whether to have my car fixed or try to buy something to hold me over.
I have a 7/26/20 reservation on a 2 door.
Any thoughts?

Assuming the body is in good condition maybe try calling a few places like CarMax and Carvana and seeing what they would pay for an Escape with $85K miles but a new engine if the trade in is high enough it might be worth it. especially with the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty on motorcraft reman engines. You can then also possibly use that trade in number with your dealer when trading in on the bronco.

Bradnewt

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Engine has a crack, coolant leaking in one of the cylinders. New engine comes with a 3 year warranty. Car has 85,000 miles, body is in good condition. Will need new tires soon. I appreciate the options and will need to consider each of them.
There are products that can repair a cracked block or a cracked head and can sometimes be a permanent fix. Look up Liquid Glass block sealer. I have seen that stuff do some miraculous things. Could possibly get you by until your Bronco arrives.

OP
OP
MBLANCHARD

MBLANCHARD

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Had a 14 with the 1.6, engine was good for us but we serviced it like clockwork. It was the tranny that scared me.
I had this serviced regularly since I had the extended warranty. Even brought it in right before the warranty expired to double check everything.

Sponsored

Bob 07064

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 4x4 ranger, '17 edge 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

do you have a vin yet? if not then a motor would be cheaper then a car note. The used car market is crazy right now so buyer beware....

EffenNewGuy

Black Diamond
First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Silverado LS, '14 Subaru Impreza Sport Ltd
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
call ford and explain your situation on how it’s just out of warranty. The automakers have been known to extend them out to help or offer a discount on the parts. It’s worth a shot. Your only 3 months out of warranty. Also I believe there might be something called a good faith repair. I know I’ve heard of it before with other auto makers.
Subaru of America did this for me on a CVT replacement for my '14 Impreza. I was 6000 miles past the extended warranty and they granted a "good faith repair" with a significant discount on a replacement CVT. OP, I would definitely do as @Monster1926 suggests and get ahold of Ford and see what they can do for you.

OP
OP
MBLANCHARD

MBLANCHARD

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Subaru of America did this for me on a CVT replacement for my '14 Impreza. I was 6000 miles past the extended warranty and they granted a "good faith repair" with a significant discount on a replacement CVT. OP, I would definitely do as @Monster1926 suggests and get ahold of Ford and see what they can do for you.
Thanks, I just contacted Ford and was given a case number. Should be hearing back from them in the next day.

Griggul8r

Big Bend
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyta Tacoma GMC Acadia Hyundai Sonata Kia Spectra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is terrible news, sorry you had this happen. I unfortunately have been through a similar situation.

We have a 2007 GMC Acadia, got it new, 1st year production, many complaints and failures, but we were pretty lucky for long time. Well it had a timing chain cpu programming performed by dealer during a recall, in attempt to prevent premature failure, we werent told the why of this at that instance, just the recall work.

Well, eventually the heat pump failed, had that work done, and based on the attempted programming fix first, we got this covered by them, and this also eventually comprimised the transmission.

So, in 2015 or so the trans failed when it had around 150k miles or so, well, we had just put a new heat pump not too long ago, tuned it up, new battery, new struts, tires, and we had already wanted to keep it, before the breakdown, as comparing other car options, just wasnt good, on the trade, we liked the size of our Acadia and then a new trans was gonna be like $3500, so we did it.

Now nothing was mentioned at the time about the engine, but, just so happens only like 15k more miles in 2016, the engine blew.

So, now at this point we have even more money invested and sigh, we felt to recoup any of it we had to get an engine and drive it a few more years. So, we did, we got a reman one for around $7500.

Now, at that point we have put alot of money (to us) into a 9yr old car (that we still have to this day) because of it and it has around 240k miles.

We have used it to move our daughters into their college dorms 3hrs away, 2016 thru 2020, and since those trips we have used it more locally though for past few years cause if on any longer trips the A/C system fan motors stop blowing, even though we had it replaced for $150.00 in 2019 and we just didnt want to put more into it.

Also, a special note, since 2011 the radio audio system has only worked in the middle of summer, for around 3wks a year then it stops again, as a work around we have hooked up a speaker to the audio out of the middle console instead of paying $1500 (dealer says due to location under dash) for replacement of a $250 amp that they say is faulty. (Did I say dont buy an Acadia unless you like a mechanic, lol).

So, now, 5yrs later, it has had a small leak in the compressor, weve not replaced, just recharge it and like clock work its been good for about one maint issue every year. Up to this year where we have had 3, alternator $650 in Jan, throttle body $687 in Feb and $850 for tires and new lugs in July that I was forced to put on it when Bronco never came.

Where ya at Bronco!

My wife says, she doesnt want to sell or trade still regarding when we get the Bronco, lol.

So, my advice, after living similarly thru a tough decision, if I had itnto redo, it does vary, on if you want to keep and value of recouping what you put into it, but I wish we would have taken the loss in the beginning, granted, hard to sell with a bad trans or engine, but, you may fix one and get hit with more, like we did, and it seems like once they start failing, it just keeps on, the only difference now, for you compared to me, is the car market for trade or personal selling may help you recoup it easier than what it was 6yrs ago for us, where we were told trade in value was only $1500, even after a new trans and engine done at an actual GM dealership too.

So, it may be best to get out of a vehicle a year too soon, than getting out too late once its holding more of your money.

Hope this helps..

If anyone wants a really loved 2007 GMC Acadia, pm me lol. Just kidding, we will never sell.