Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands / '22 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just had to dump $3k into my 12 year old Hyundai this summer and I have my fingers crossed that it won't cost me any more until Bronco. I had to do the math to make it make sense.

Since you and your wife share the vehicle, do the calculation on cost of the replacement minus value of the vehicle once repaired vs. the month cost and depreciation of either buying new or buying an (overpriced) used vehicle right now. All about that math.
Sponsored

ShroederK

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ouch, I blew a motor in my Kia while I was waiting. After the panic subsided, I decided to see if there were any recalls and fortunately, there were. New motor for free! But yeah, I was almost in the same boat. Hope it works out for you.

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just found out that my 2014 Ford escape needs a new engine. My wife and I share this car and were planning on trading it in when the Bronco comes.
Ironically, I had a 7 year extended warranty that ended in July and now 3 months later this happens. Originally, like most people I thought I would get the Bronco in the spring or summer of 21'. With the prices of used cars nowadays, I am trying to figure out whether to have my car fixed or try to buy something to hold me over.
I have a 7/26/20 reservation on a 2 door.
Any thoughts?
More info please. Asked your dealer if it has been built? Mine is a 7/21 build, got it one week ago to day exakt. My dealer knew when it was built. Asked your dealer? Trackers say what. Esp. the "codes" tracking that shows your computer modules lit up or no. I was in a "built, waiting for shipment" land for a couple of hard weeks, but I am unbelievingly driving it now. Hold out. Then again I am overly trusting and 1 degree from being a complete idiot, so....

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That sucks your in a bind ,my gf came home one day said her escape wouldn't start get a jump to get home.checked it and all was bad . I picked one up and before starting to work on it I checked info on how to do it best 8 hrs of hell hardest alt r and r ever we sold it right after and was so happy

Last edited:

Sponsored

timstrong20

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Toyota Venza and 2020 Honda Civic Hatchback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just found out that my 2014 Ford escape needs a new engine. My wife and I share this car and were planning on trading it in when the Bronco comes.
Ironically, I had a 7 year extended warranty that ended in July and now 3 months later this happens. Originally, like most people I thought I would get the Bronco in the spring or summer of 21'. With the prices of used cars nowadays, I am trying to figure out whether to have my car fixed or try to buy something to hold me over.
Any thoughts?
That really sucks and I feel for you. That is my biggest concern, my car breaking down before I get the bronco. I hope you can limp it along long enough to get your bronco... You have to be close to getting yours soon. Good luck

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Is ford willing to help up out?

Deleted member 12876

Any thoughts?
I hope you don’t abuse the bronco like you did the escape, there’s no reason to 6 to 7-year-old vehicle needs an engine unless it was beat on a daily basis and not maintained with consistent oil changes

Sponsored

Deleted member 12876

That's all! My 2013 is still going strong at 280,000
That’s what happens when you change the oil on a regular basis, good on you for being consistent with your maintenance!

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That ducks your in a bind ,my gf came home one day said her escape wouldn't start get a jump to get home.checked it and all was bad . I picked one up and before starting to work on it I checked info on how to do it best 8 hrs of hell hardest alt r and r ever we sold it right after and was so happy
I got that beat; 1989 V-12 XJS, Lucas alternator. Went ahead and got a bracket made so I could mount a GM alternator as a replacement, after pulling the six or so separate screw tensioner belts off the front, had to use an open end wrench to turn about 1/16th of a turn, then flip over to get another 1/16th of a turn while bent over into a pretzel. Took every bit of 10 hours and 200 hand cramps to get it all buttoned back up. So many curse words....

I won't get into the replacement of the inboard rear brake rotors except to point out the first line on the repair manual for pulling the rotors; 1. remove rear suspension.

SCADABronx

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LC100, Gen2 Pilot, MX P100D, Gen1 MDX, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I sold my '13 Escape last year, thinking we would have our Broncos sooner. Like someone else said, it was the transmission that made me nervous. Everything about the car was perfect in about the same miles as you, 85k or so. It was a 2.0L. But I didn't expect it to last much longer without spending some money on it, based on stories like yours.
I have an old Land Cruiser, but it really wasn't meant to be my daily driver.

Good luck. Tough call on the new engine. It only leaves a few grand of value if anything as a trade in.

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I got that beat; 1989 V-12 XJS, Lucas alternator. Went ahead and got a bracket made so I could mount a GM alternator as a replacement, after pulling the six or so separate screw tensioner belts off the front, had to use an open end wrench to turn about 1/16th of a turn, then flip over to get another 1/16th of a turn while bent over into a pretzel. Took every bit of 10 hours and 200 hand cramps to get it all buttoned back up. So many curse words....

I won't get into the replacement of the inboard rear brake rotors except to point out the first line on the repair manual for pulling the rotors; 1. remove rear suspension.
Lucas the prince of darkness!
Ugg those hand cramps.

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Definitely operator error and abuse. Please treat the bronco better, she deserves your attention.
Tell that to a new Bronco owner that dropped a valve on their way home.
Sponsored