Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hello all:

I am sure it is probably the same as a lot of you; what do I really want vs what do I really need.

This will be my daily driver: she will go to the woods to go hunting, down dirt roads, travel back and forth to work 24 miles (round trip) 5 days a week, deal with unpredictable central Pennsylvania winter roads, weekend trips and probably once or twice a year go on a long vacation drive. Eventually she will end up at Daytona or New Smyrna Beach for a visit or two.

Up until yesterday I was sold on a A51, Black Diamond with mid, headliner, roof rack, towing and 2.7 with stock steelies. My plan was to buy new aftermarket wheels after delivery and put in a lift as soon as they were available. I was estimating that I would have between $2500 and $3000 in wheels/tires/lift and whatever labor I would have to pay for (speedo calibration . . . . .). I wanted a painted top with the turret but I don't want to wait longer than necessary and to be honest I don't mind the look of the mic top on the A51. I will probably only run with the front tops off.

I keep pricing this thing out with and without the sas package she is at $4795/$70 per month difference on a five year loan. The original plan was going to cost $42,390 ($417/month) the same rig with sas (minus the headliner) is $47,185 ($489/month). Going this round I will need to add an aftermarket head liner but nothing else to start my adventures.

I am justifying about $3k in wheels and tires gained from the sas package with the other $1795 allocated to the lift, beefier suspension, upgraded 4wd(?) front locker and full factory warranty on it all. Am I missing anything with how I am looking at this?

Am I throwing away money on the sas instead of doing it myself? I truly feel that when I go to pick her up if it is sitting stock and next to a sas I will regret not getting everything done at the factory and having to wait for things to become available. I figure that I have about 7 to 10 months if not longer to save some extra cash to put down to take care of the additional cost of the sas if I have to.

I guess I am looking for some feedback. My brother just keeps saying get it, my girlified just nods her head and looks at her phone whenever anything is mentioned about it, lol.

Discuss:

See ya,

Pat
Sponsored

Kenny

Big Bend
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Silverado Z71
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hello all:

I am sure it is probably the same as a lot of you; what do I really want vs what do I really need.

This will be my daily driver: she will go to the woods to go hunting, down dirt roads, travel back and forth to work 24 miles (round trip) 5 days a week, deal with unpredictable central Pennsylvania winter roads, weekend trips and probably once or twice a year go on a long vacation drive. Eventually she will end up at Daytona or New Smyrna Beach for a visit or two.

Up until yesterday I was sold on a A51, Black Diamond with mid, headliner, roof rack, towing and 2.7 with stock steelies. My plan was to buy new aftermarket wheels after delivery and put in a lift as soon as they were available. I was estimating that I would have between $2500 and $3000 in wheels/tires/lift and whatever labor I would have to pay for (speedo calibration . . . . .). I wanted a painted top with the turret but I don't want to wait longer than necessary and to be honest I don't mind the look of the mic top on the A51. I will probably only run with the front tops off.

I keep pricing this thing out with and without the sas package she is at $4795/$70 per month difference on a five year loan. The original plan was going to cost $42,390 ($417/month) the same rig with sas (minus the headliner) is $47,185 ($489/month). Going this round I will need to add an aftermarket head liner but nothing else to start my adventures.

I am justifying about $3k in wheels and tires gained from the sas package with the other $1795 allocated to the lift, beefier suspension, upgraded 4wd(?) front locker and full factory warranty on it all. Am I missing anything with how I am looking at this?

Am I throwing away money on the sas instead of doing it myself? I truly feel that when I go to pick her up if it is sitting stock and next to a sas I will regret not getting everything done at the factory and having to wait for things to become available. I figure that I have about 7 to 10 months if not longer to save some extra cash to put down to take care of the additional cost of the sas if I have to.

I guess I am looking for some feedback. My brother just keeps saying get it, my girlified just nods her head and looks at her phone whenever anything is mentioned about it, lol.

Discuss:

See ya,

Pat
Iā€™m in a similar boat. The way Ford has set this up, Iā€™m not completely getting the build the way I want. I want manual but I donā€™t like the grill or stance of the non-SAS BL as much as I do the BD SAS.

Iā€™ve considered all the aftermarket wheels, tires, etc. and Iā€™m back to just ordering a BD SAS, 2.7L Auto and Mid package.

Good luck!

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hello all:

Discuss:

See ya,

Pat
I think I am right with your plan and with similar needs. I am not going to be rock climbing or going on real bad roads. Pretty much same usage as you. Also getting BD but no Squatch. For my needs, I am guessing for your needs....it's really not necessary. I am also going with after market wheels and tires (Fuel wheels/Cooper AT3XLT tires, about $2600.00). I am getting headliner, mid package, tow, some other. Before accessories around 46K. What is your purpose for wanting a lift kit? 1-2 inches, IMO, not needed for your planned usage. SAS, IMO, can't justify the extra $4K. These come with 17" wheels....I am replacing them with 18" wheels. Tire may or may not be a little taller depending on what you select. So you can get a little more height in wheel/tire changes. It all depends on what wheels you select and if the size is available....not all have 17" wheels as an example. SO I looked at my usage, re-evaluate yours. If you really do not need the SAS with all the fancy off road/climbing linkage...don't get it. Same with the lift kit, if you really don't need it, don't get it. I think some jump to these options because it's cool or everyone else is getting it. You are doing right by thinking this through.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly the Sasquatch package is a great value. You get five 35" tires, forged aluminum wheels (I would never pay for myself but they are super nice!), a slightly lifted suspension (many have argued about this, but I believe stiffer springs give a 1" lift), proper gearing, and front and rear lockers with a clean factory integration that won't use any of your upfitter switches.

Sure, the factory probably can do all this for under 5k, but it is impossible to pay a shop to do all of it for that price. The regear alone will run around $2,500.

If all you ever want is 33's, then I wouldn't do it, but if 35's are in your future, I say go for it! But only if you can afford it. Personally, Sasquatch will be the first thing I knock off my list if my final price comes in over budget, but if I'm not I'm absolutely getting it.

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The one thing that was left out in the analysis is the gear ratio. The SAS package gets a 4.7 final gear ratio. If you plan to go aftermarket with a lift and tires, you will likely need re-gearing of you plan to do it later on.

Sponsored

Daytona_Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Daytona awaits my friend Sasquatch or Not .. just make sure its jeep week when you book the hotel ?

Coldsteele

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150, 2007 suburban, 2008 suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hello all:

Discuss:

See ya,

Pat
I was in the same boat for months, down to the model and options,, until I learned more about the sasquatch package and decided it's well worth the price. You get 5 forged aluminum beadlock capable wheels (about $2500 value), 5 35" tires ($1500 value), front locker WHICH INCLUDES a beefier front differential which is cast iron instead of cast aluminum and beefier front axle shafts (probably $3000-$5000 value if you include installation), stiffer suspension ($500 value), gearing ($2500 including labor).

That's 10-12k aftermarket to match the sasquatch. You can save some money by doing the work yourself, but it'll still cost more and won't be as sleak or covered under the warranty.

Calypso

Heritage
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Heritage, Cadillac CTS
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I started out with a BB spec to get the mid-package. . .once B&P dropped I saw the value in the BD (MGV seats, rear locker, mid package, etc.) and changed to that.
When it became clear that manual and mid-package were exclusive to Badlands (beyond my desired budget), I started thinking about what I really wanted and what was preferable from the factory rather than aftermarket. For me, it's more of a hassle concern than availability of aftermarket parts.
Long story short, I've settled on Base w/ Sasquatch. I get factory front and rear lockers, Bilstein suspension (all std on BL), 35s on some rockin' wheels (compared to base, BB or BD), and I still have the choice of V6/AT or 4 cyl/MT (still undecided).
What did I give up? Mid package. No tinted windows (easy aftermarket). No heated seats (can be done AM). No intelligent access (I'll buy the optional keypad entry). No MGV seats (I'm ok w/ the base cloth seats).
I'll buy the optional capable bumper for the fog lights, and the auxiliary switches.
What did I gain? The top end factory drive train and I don't have to do a thing to it ever, except maybe put 33s or 34s on it. All the off road capability I could want and will likely never use (dark memories of a snowdrift in Evansville), enhanced resale (just in case), a near full bank of hero switches (because hero switches) and way more cred than I deserve.
It's darn near a Badlands mechanical spec for roughly the same price (with the V6!) as a Black Diamond, 4 cyl, MT, no mid package.
P.S. and no stinkin' badges!

Last edited:

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went with the BD, V6, Auto, Mid and Squatch. Cannot justify the cost increase with comparably equipped OB or BL. I don't have signature head and tail lights like the BB. Hoping for take-offs or DIO down the road.
But I get MGV, washout floors and a ton of interior accessories that I will not get with the BB that I originally reserved. The CFO states: "if you get all of that for $600 more in total, it is stupid to do without". Happy CFO, Happy Life... ;)

OP
OP
Skip2a

Skip2a

Black Diamond
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With the sas gearing: will there be a problem down the road a few years if I go from the 35's to 33's?

The MGV seats and hose out floor are keeping me in the BD and not going to a lower package to save some bucks. I'm too old and lazy to vacuum mud and dog hair out of my vehicle and I won't even get started on how many times I have spilled my morning coffee. I also prefer the non-signature headlights; I like the retro look of just round ones.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Sponsored

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This^

Iā€™m spending a little more than I was planning but if itā€™s the rig Iā€™m thinking it will be I wonā€™t be buying another new vehicle for myself again...

I donā€™t want to say damn I wish I had this or that and Iā€™m not a huge spender in the after market world...

Kenny

Big Bend
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Silverado Z71
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was in the same boat for months, down to the model and options,, until I learned more about the sasquatch package and decided it's well worth the price. You get 5 forged aluminum beadlock capable wheels (about $2500 value), 5 35" tires ($1500 value), front locker WHICH INCLUDES a beefier front differential which is cast iron instead of cast aluminum and beefier front axle shafts (probably $3000-$5000 value if you include installation), stiffer suspension ($500 value), gearing ($2500 including labor).

That's 10-12k aftermarket to match the sasquatch. You can save some money by doing the work yourself, but it'll still cost more and won't be as sleak or covered under the warranty.
I really donā€™t need SAS, but, you just eased my mind about my decision.

I always say, you donā€™t need something until you do. I donā€™t need 4 wheel drive for 90% of my driving but when Iā€™m pulling my boat out of a lake with no ramp, or, Iā€™m in a mud hole, Iā€™m glad Iā€™ve got it.

with the anticipated demand for Broncos, if Iā€™m unhappy, Iā€™ll trade it in on one with AMB and a white top! Lol

scottyb907

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Ford Bronco, RAM 3500,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I knew almost from the beginning I wanted the Squach package, but it was always what build I could get the most out of, because this will be the last vehicle I buy for a long time I want it close to the way I want from day one.
With that said Iā€™m getting everything I can accept to afford when I place the order. The BD, Carbonized Grey, 2.7, Squach, mid, tow, block heater, bash plates, lockers, rock rails, black hardtop, and MGV seats meet 90% of my wants.
I have built every model, minus FE, countless time and this build gives me the most of the priorities I want for for the money.
Things I gave up for going with this build, lux package, (mainly heated steering wheel), electric seats, signature lights, and sway bar disconnect. All items I can live without for the extra $$$$.
Another thing is I donā€™t want to be screwing around with complex aftermarket add ons such as gearing, suspension, and heavy items that will cost a lot to get to Alaska....
Your looking at it and driving it everyday get what ya want. šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For the money you have budgeted for a lift, the only thing that's going to do that is a cheap spacer lift. I guess it depends on what you expect out of your vehicle, but a real lift won't be cheap. The squatch lift is worth the money. Sure, aftermarket will probably be better, but not for less money.

My BD will handle much of the same duties, although I commute to work on a motorcycle when weather allows and will also have a truck, but it will get used for a variety of things. I plan to put Fox coilovers on it when they become available. That won't be cheap, even doing the work myself. It will have a great suspension though.

As far as the gears, the 4.7s will work great with 33s. Don't worry about that.

Squatch is a great value, even if you downsize the tires. If I could get it with the 7sp manual, I would.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think if Ford sold a Sasquatch Lite package for the OBX and lower, it would sell like hotcakes. Basically the suspension and 4.46 gearing on the Badlands with the 33s. I want to run 33s. But there are so many unknown variables at this time. Sure I could get the Sasquatch package and downsize the tires. But that would be wasted money. And I really do not like the Sasquatch wheels.

Personally I'd pay $2500 for this option just to have everything already done from the factory.
Sponsored