First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just found out that my 2014 Ford escape needs a new engine. My wife and I share this car and were planning on trading it in when the Bronco comes.
Ironically, I had a 7 year extended warranty that ended in July and now 3 months later this happens. Originally, like most people I thought I would get the Bronco in the spring or summer of 21'. With the prices of used cars nowadays, I am trying to figure out whether to have my car fixed or try to buy something to hold me over.
I have a 7/26/20 reservation on a 2 door.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just found out that my 2014 Ford escape needs a new engine. My wife and I share this car and were planning on trading it in when the Bronco comes.
Ironically, I had a 7 year extended warranty that ended in July and now 3 months later this happens. Originally, like most people I thought I would get the Bronco in the spring or summer of 21'. With the prices of used cars nowadays, I am trying to figure out whether to have my car fixed or try to buy something to hold me over.
I have a 7/26/20 reservation on a 2 door.
Any thoughts?
How many overall miles are on the Escape?

Denoah

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel your pain, sitting on a 18 year old Honda Element that is going to cost me $$$$ until this bronco comes in....feel like I am throwing money in the fire keeping it going. To top it off my plates are due in March so I will need an inspection to keep going past that...that could get real expensive...just hoping for the best.

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Oof, this is my nightmare. IDK, the cost of an engine rebuild is probably about the same as the depreciation from buying a used car and selling it sometime in Q2/maybe early Q3 considering most experts predict the used car market will still be hot through Q3 of next year. Unless your dealer is way backed up in allocations, that'd be my guess for a 2dr build with a late July 2020 res.

My 09 VW has 251K and counting very fast, but this post reminds me, I'm about 10k miles overdue for a transmission fluid flush and have a small oil leak from my valve cover. I'm gonna take care of those two things in the next week (DIY the valve cover and take it to the shop for the trans fluid) to hopefully ensure my car makes it till I get my Bronco hopefully sometime in March-ish (8/22/20 res for a soft top., but no build date yet). My tie-rod boots and bushings have some minor drycracking in the rubber, but given my car doesn't see salty roads in Texas, that should make it another year.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Needs engine as in won't run or needs engine like head gasket leaking/head cracked/saw cut block issue? It's essentially worthless at this point, driveable or not so the question is, spend 6K on it, drive and trade when the bronco comes in. Sell for scrap and purchase something else, pay a premium and sell/trade when bronco arrives and hope market is still good.

I generally don't like suggesting this but would they be willing to install a good used engine? Obviously, they won't warrant any labor or parts but you might be able to save 3K with the understanding you're only trying to make it to delivery with a running trade.

Bad situation but biggest thing is working through your choices and finances.

ETA: Don't know condition of Escape but if it books out good, that's part of the equation too.

onetong8r

Base
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, VW Beetle, Jeep TJ, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Buy the lowest mileage 4Runner or Tacoma you can afford. They’ve had some of the lowest depreciation rates for years so they hold their value extremely well
I was going to suggest something similar. If you buy a good condition Jeep TJ (and probably an older JK) they really don't depreciate after a few years. I've bought one for my daughter a couple of years ago, she drove it over a year and put 20k miles on it and we sold it for a little more than we paid for it. My '04 Wrangler is probably worth the same this year as last year and next year. I'm sure the Toyota's pfd799 mentioned are the same.

I wouldn't put thousands into a car at this point that you won't get back out of it. Just my 2 cents. :)

First BaseMan

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ugh, I'm sorry man.
Somebody just totaled my daily driver the other day. I was planning to drive it until my bronco arrives. I got a pretty big check for it, which is nice, but used car prices are nuts and I'm going to have to turn around and use it to buy another older high mileage car, and hope the used car market doesn't crater before my bronco shows up. I'd buy a cheap beater as a stopgap if I didn't have a couple of kids to tote around.

Sponsored

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
MBLANCHARD

MBLANCHARD

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Needs engine as in won't run or needs engine like head gasket leaking/head cracked/saw cut block issue? It's essentially worthless at this point, driveable or not so the question is, spend 6K on it, drive and trade when the bronco comes in. Sell for scrap and purchase something else, pay a premium and sell/trade when bronco arrives and hope market is still good.

I generally don't like suggesting this but would they be willing to install a good used engine? Obviously, they won't warrant any labor or parts but you might be able to save 3K with the understanding you're only trying to make it to delivery with a running trade.

Bad situation but biggest thing is working through your choices and finances.

ETA: Don't know condition of Escape but if it books out good, that's part of the equation too.
Engine has a crack, coolant leaking in one of the cylinders. New engine comes with a 3 year warranty. Car has 85,000 miles, body is in good condition. Will need new tires soon. I appreciate the options and will need to consider each of them.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
call ford and explain your situation on how it’s just out of warranty. The automakers have been known to extend them out to help or offer a discount on the parts. It’s worth a shot. Your only 3 months out of warranty. Also I believe there might be something called a good faith repair. I know I’ve heard of it before with other auto makers.
Sponsored