Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been waiting for the pull out tailgate accessory but I think I'd rather build my own.

Thinking of practicality besides making the platform for comfortable car camping, what are you guys thinking about the space underneath the platform. You guys making pull out drawers some other thoughts?

This is my first car I've ever customized so would love to hear some experienced insights.
Im about to set off on a major roadtrip so time is limited but my plan is to install some sort of drawer system. At a minimum an easy mod would be to use drawer slides connected to a piece of plywood so you could food prep/cook outside (and not need the fold out tailgate table).

Now that I think about it you could build multiple configurations with slide rails and just interchange them depending on need. Might be worth researching
Sponsored

OP
OP
palley6

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks nice! Surprised no negative comments regarding carpet and not being able to clean the inside with pressure washer! šŸ˜Ž
believe me I know lol. I drilled holes to mount D-rings for the Dometic and just vacuuming the shavings was a nightmare. If you had office carpeting or industrial stuff it would be better, its just stupid expensive and the bunk material was in total like $25-30.

LHD

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurais, Corvairs, 914-6, TT, F350 SD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™m going to fab a similar platform up if my Dirt Mountain escapee ever gets here. Not to be ā€œthat guyā€ but why not just screw and glue the 2x4s from the top if they will be carpeted over? Pocket screws not really necessary in this situation and not everyone has the cool little jig lying about.

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been waiting for the pull out tailgate accessory but I think I'd rather build my own.

Thinking of practicality besides making the platform for comfortable car camping, what are you guys thinking about the space underneath the platform. You guys making pull out drawers some other thoughts?

This is my first car I've ever customized so would love to hear some experienced insights.
Build your own and create secure storage under the platform.
In time this forum will be more positive when we all can put hands on our ride.

OP
OP
palley6

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™m going to fab a similar platform up if my Dirt Mountain escapee ever gets here. Not to be ā€œthat guyā€ but why not just screw and glue the 2x4s from the top if they will be carpeted over? Pocket screws not really necessary in this situation and not everyone has the cool little jig lying about.
Thats a totally fair question. It was nearby and I just went with it lol

Sponsored

AmericanFreedom

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I saw Justin McBride build his platform and honestly it made so much sense I had to copy him and do one for myself. This completely eliminates the hump between the cargo floor/backseat while introducing storage hidden underneath. My plan is to solo camp for a week or two at a time and this is the perfect easy DIY solution that anyone can knock out over a weekend.

Materials needed:

(2) 2' x 4' x 1/2" plywood, or (1) 4' x 4' x 1/2
(2) rolls of trailer bunk carpet -- Its almost the exact amount I needed so 3 rolls if you're concerned https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KOTTK...abc_NQW774CAJTCF26SEDWHS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
(1) 2x4x8 board - ended up milling my own but dimensionally each base support measured 29" long.
(1) spray adhesive, 3m worked great for me

If anyone wants the dimensions completed let me know, it was a back and forth between the Bronco and tablesaw but it fits perfectly now.

20211003_162919.jpg
20211003_163257.jpg
20211005_195057.jpg

20211005_195140.jpg
*disregard the patch job on the left support leg. Ran out of bunk material at the very last piece of endgrain lol
well done my guy šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘

LHD

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurais, Corvairs, 914-6, TT, F350 SD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Build your own and create secure storage under the platform.
In time this forum will be more positive when we all can put hands on our ride.
I have a plan in mind. Drawers, platform, made out of Baltic birch plywood. I dabble in cabinet work and design stuff in real life. If I could only have it here to work onā€¦..it was supposed to be a SEMA build and Ford f#c%ed that up.

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That turned out well, nice work, thanks for showing it

I guess if you were inclined, based on your use, you could add a foam layer under the covering for some padding
Thatā€™s a great idea. Iā€™m going to copying these plans in 2027 when I finally get my rig, Iā€™ll definitely be adding foam underneath. Good thinking.

MrGreen55

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota scion xb
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Waiting to see if a aftermarket company does this for a 2 door bronco not every handy with my hands.šŸ˜¶

Badsquatch2021

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tbd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hook us up with the dimensions please. I'll be doing the same, but need to build it before the bronco arrives, I'm sleeping in it on the way back from picking it up.

And when you say you milled the 2x4, you mean nominal? (Or 3.5"x1.5")

Thanks

Sponsored

Swamp Yankee

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Land Rover LR3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thats a totally fair question. It was nearby and I just went with it lol
Iā€™m kind of disappointed, I feel like it should have been done with Bronco Bolts.

In all seriousness, that pocket screw job looks amazing. I was not familiar with the Kreg jigs, but just investigated them. Which one do you have? Seems to be quite a range of options, any recommendations?

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Looks good. An alternative way would be to make a frame out if 2x4 or even 1x to lighten it and stiffen it, leave the plywood deck unscrewed so you can lift it up and have access to the space underneath. Cover the wood frame with carpet so it looks nice and dampens any rattle from the deck. If the deck doesnā€™t sit level, maybe some kind of latch or other tie down. It would be a Good idea to secure it anyway.

karguy08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™m kind of disappointed, I feel like it should have been done with Bronco Bolts.

In all seriousness, that pocket screw job looks amazing. I was not familiar with the Kreg jigs, but just investigated them. Which one do you have? Seems to be quite a range of options, any recommendations?
welcome to the wild world of carpentry tools. Get ready to open your wallet wider to address both automobile and DIY accessories :) I have the Kreg R3; not the most expensive, but it does what i need https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G3VP3N8/
Sponsored