Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice work! Did you remove the original flip up trunk floor in the rear most section?
Sponsored

Ibuprofen3293

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22MY Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@broox Thanks for the tips and details--much appreciated! Just a couple more questions if you wouldn't mind..

Did you get M12s with a lower profile head than the ones that came installed from the factory? And/or did you counter bore holes in the platform to use those to secure the platform to the floor?

And not having a truck or a tablesaw myself... Would that extra half inch fore-aft be the difference between vertical footwell supports or not? I could have a hardware just cut a 4x8 sheet down to 53" otherwise (and fanagle both parts into the topless bronco).

OP
OP
broox

broox

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Website
broox.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW M4, Bronco Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you remove the original flip up trunk floor in the rear most section?
Yep! I removed that and the floor mounted D-rings to make the plywood sit more flush with the rear trim.

Side note: all of the bolts that you pull out leave exposed holes to the underside of the vehicle, so make sure to put those back. I swapped the rear d-ring bolts out for some lower profile M8 allen bolts because it allowed the platform to sit even more flush with the trim… but you could also just counterbore some holes into the bottom of the plywood for those. I had to counterbore a couple holes into the bottom of the hatch to make it sit flush.

KRAKEN

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 DOOR BRONCO, 2014 F150 XLT, 2006 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You sir, are an inspiration.

stonerdoom

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The rear bench seat of my Jeep spent most of it's life in a Christmas tree storage bag in my basement... and I had a similar plan once I traded the Jeep in for the Bronco. But I was pretty bummed to learn that it was a lot more work to add/remove the rear Bronco seats (bolts, sensors, and tools? wtf!)... so, I just went scorched earth and ripped everything out, along with the seatbelts.

With the rear seats out of the bronco, the floor is pretty ugly, with random bolts, holes, and cuts in the floor liner. It was gonna be pretty annoying to use as a "truck bed" this way, so I did what many others have done, and started researching/designing a flat "bed."

Goose Gear's system looks nice but is frankly overpriced. I didn't need the modularity that they offered, and didn't really like that the tool storage bin required more tools to open. I do like their fit and finish though, so I decided to build something similar, that fit my needs.

Materials:
  • Cabinet grade plywood (given to me by a trim carpenter buddy 😁)
  • double offset piano hinges
  • 2 - M12-1.75 allen bolts
  • 8 - M8-1.25 allen bolts
  • 4 - M8-1.25 threaded inserts
  • black primer
  • raptor bed liner kit
And with that, I scribed everything out, made a cardboard template, and got to work. Here are the photos of my build...

seats-out-next-remove-the-seatbelts-and-build-a.jpg
scribing-the-back-of-the-bronco.jpg
bronco-platform-template-cut-out.jpg
like-a-glove.jpg
storage-hatch-front-supports-built-ready-for-paint.jpg
oh-yeah.jpg
first-time-spraying-bedliner-got-a-bit-of-tiger-on.jpg
i-decided-to-spray-everything-with-bedliner-to-it.jpg
bronco-platform-installed.jpg
raptor-lined-bronco-platform-installed.jpg
front-support (1).jpg

I'm super happy with how it turned out, but like any project, I learned a couple things that I might do differently if I tackled again.
  1. I wish I would've waited to drill the finger hole in the hatch. I'm thinking about putting a keyed latch on the door so that the storage is actually secured while the top's off. I won't need the finger hole once I do that.
  2. I wish I would've masked the interior plastic with blue tape. Lightly dragging a piece of wood along the side to scribe my template was enough to scratch the plastic. I also got a few scuffs from taking the platform in/out during the build process. Cheap-ass Ford plastic...
    Ah well, it's a truck and a toy. These won't be the last blemishes. But uh, anyone have tips on how to make these scratches a bit less noticeable?
  3. I wish I had a bit more practice with spraying bedliner. This was my first time and I got a bit of tiger striping on the big piece. It's barely noticeable once installed, and I think it'll soften even more in time... but it still bugs me.
That said, I've got a couple small modifications planned already. I'll post updates here once I tackle em.
This is Grade AAA. Could you give a little more detail on the vertical supports and assembly. Definitely doing this as a project before winter (I hope).

Sponsored
OP
OP
broox

broox

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Website
broox.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@broox Did you get M12s with a lower profile head than the ones that came installed from the factory? And/or did you counter bore holes in the platform to use those to secure the platform to the floor?
The Allen M12s (and M8s) are very low profile. I did counter bore every hole with a forstner bit before drilling all the way through. All hardware is flush, or lower than the top of the plywood.

And not having a truck or a tablesaw myself... Would that extra half inch fore-aft be the difference between vertical footwell supports or not? I could have a hardware just cut a 4x8 sheet down to 53" otherwise (and fanagle both parts into the topless bronco).
I'm sure you could get away with 48" and be fine. You might also find that the 4x8 sheet at the hardware store is slightly larger than 48" wide as well.

OP
OP
broox

broox

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Website
broox.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Could you give a little more detail on the vertical supports and assembly. Definitely doing this as a project before winter (I hope).
Yep. There's not much to them really... I just ripped a couple 1.5" strips of plywood, drilled 3 pocket holes into each and then glued + screwed them to the back of the vertical pieces. After that, I drilled 2 holes into each of those strips so that I could add the M8 threaded inserts, and secure the top platform to the supports. Doing it this way makes it so that everything is easy to assemble/disassemble (i.e. easier to get the panel in and out of the truck).

Ford Bronco Broox's DIY 2-Door Seat Delete + Raptor Lined Cargo Platform bronco-platform-supports

Sniper

Badlands
First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My man! Would you be willing to post some of your overall dimensions, and maybe a link to the hinges?

The bedliner is honestly an awesome idea. I’m not thrilled with the indoor/outdoor carpet that seems to be the go-to for platforms. Was considering trying to find some robust vinyl that sort of matches the washout floor, but that liner looks great.

I’m considering spacing my platform up 6” or so so for some hidden topless storage. (Or my latest thought is to get a tonneau cover made to attach to the MIC top bolt holes).

Anyone have a reason why I couldn’t use OSB or something on the cheaper end (vs nice plywood)?
Once moisture hits OSB it starts to swell and crumble. Put in the extra $ for better quality. "You get what you paid for."

Sponsored

buzzcutt2

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How much for the carboard template? :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
broox

broox

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Website
broox.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like a good idea for a side hustle to me.
haha, i like to build and tinker as a hobby and for a personal challenge. i'm happy to provide tips and help, but i'm definitely not looking for a side gig at this point of my life. maybe when i hit retirement. :)
Sponsored