Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@cwhite

Can confirm, I did this (had some leftover)...Although with the 2 door there wasn't much real estate. On the two doors, there is some exposed metal on the interior that I didn't cover...and I also didn't cover a large portion of the inside middle (where the vapor barrier covers the access point for the interior of the door).

I wanted to make sure should anyone need access to the window mechanism that they wouldn't spend half an hour to remove it. I'm not honestly sure if it made enough of a difference, but the top certainly did.
OP, can you elaborate a little on what you did with the doors? Like what exactly did you remove to gain access? Thanks
Sponsored

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Total cost? Before ford offered free headliner I planned on going with the hothead headliner they had been planning to release, but honestly I think it's crazy to have turned down the free headliner.
I have been in communication with Hot Heads and itā€™s going to be a while before they have anything to release since they do not have their Bronco, I even offered them mine but itā€™s the wrong time of year for me to head to Boise, Idaho. I think the OP did you good job on his for the amount he has in it.

BTW, I elected to not have Ford install the cheap headliner they offer. Itā€™s not worth it, even free. Enjoy removing yours.

OP
OP
porjos

porjos

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP, can you elaborate a little on what you did with the doors? Like what exactly did you remove to gain access? Thanks
The interior door panels were pretty easy to remove.

1) Pry off the screw covers where the door handle is - I used plastic trim tools to avoid scratching the plastic, but a paint scraper will work as well if you're careful.

2) Remove the bolts, there are 3 on the bottom as well.

3) Use the trim remover tool to carefully pop out all the plastic tabs on the edges. They can break pretty easily if you apply too much pressure, so I popped each one out individually. Just stuck the tool right under the plastic and provided some pressure.

4) Unhook the wires for the door latch (pull outwards), if I remember correctly I think there's only one wire harness for the door lock.

5) Youre golden!

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The interior door panels were pretty easy to remove.

1) Pry off the screw covers where the door handle is - I used plastic trim tools to avoid scratching the plastic, but a paint scraper will work as well if you're careful.

2) Remove the bolts, there are 3 on the bottom as well.

3) Use the trim remover tool to carefully pop out all the plastic tabs on the edges. They can break pretty easily if you apply too much pressure, so I popped each one out individually. Just stuck the tool right under the plastic and provided some pressure.

4) Unhook the wires for the door latch (pull outwards), if I remember correctly I think there's only one wire harness for the door lock.

5) Youre golden!
cool thanks

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Exactly. Removed the door panels, and the Dynamat attaches to the inside of the outer door skin. There are a couple different companies offering this product right now.
Right. Iā€™ve done this on my vehicles. Dynamat (tar-like sheets) applied to metal panels, including outer door skins & floors. Dynapad (foam) applied to inside of plastic interior panels or even over vapor barrier. It helps, but it canā€˜t transform a Model-T into a Lincoln.

https://www.dynamat.com/applications-industries/automotive-and-transportation/

Sponsored

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

After finding out the Ford NVH headliner is essentially $480 carpet, I decided to make my own headliner. For $260 I got:

* Dynamat mats (67 Mil thick - butyl rubber with aluminum backing, self-adhesive)
* 1/8 thick Dynaliner closed/open cell foam (self-adhesive)
* Some charcoal grey indoor/outdoor carpet

Here's the finished driver's side, in comparison to the bare MIC on the passenger side:

PXL_20211125_215018868.jpg

It was relatively simple:

Step 1: Clean and prep surface
Step 2: Apply sound deadener wherever it wasn't obstructing the latches or the weather stripping where it's seated on the vehicle.
Step 3: Apply closed/open cell foam to the recessed parts of the top for increased sound deadening/insultation.
Step 4: Measure and cut some carpet, I used a combination of Gorilla spray glue and well-placed VHB/3M strips.

Result: The sound improved greatly, and that's what I was looking for - still noisier than a Prius of course, but night and day compared to the bare MIC.

PXL_20211125_213816227.jpg

PXL_20211126_161404529.jpg
Thanks for your write up, it now has my creative juices flowing. I may not wait on Hot Heads headliner any longer. I checked my local fabric store online and they have a Ripstop material and a Marine Grade Vinyl. Iā€™m going tomorrow to check out the different materials.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So you opted out of the free headliner, and then added tacky carpet to the panels anyways?
Ok, I was able to do a little test for you today. Friend has a Badlands two door with free headliner from Ford. I have a Black Diamond two door with no headliner. Pics below so you can see that both vehicles are similar in options however, mine does have an added platform on top. His is the Cyber Orange and mine is Cactus Gray.

On the way to his house I was on the freeway cruising in my Black Diamond at 71mph, I activated the noise app on my smartwatch and it showed 73db.

We went for a ride in his Badlands with mid package cruising at 61mph, I activated the noise app and it showed 70db.

There it is, a real live test with two very similar models. Oh, and btw, we also tested a base model four door with a soft top at 61mph and it cranked up to 76db on the noise app.

Ford Bronco DIY Headliner using Dynamat and Dynaliner 8FDBE024-4E35-4EE9-976B-AA53C9F24EB3

Ford Bronco DIY Headliner using Dynamat and Dynaliner ECFE8979-4D11-450C-B975-ECC28736B706

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ok, I was able to do a little test for you today. Friend has a Badlands two door with free headliner from Ford. I have a Black Diamond two door with no headliner. Pics below so you can see that both vehicles are similar in options however, mine does have an added platform on top. His is the Cyber Orange and mine is Cactus Gray.

On the way to his house I was on the freeway cruising in my Black Diamond at 71mph, I activated the noise app on my smartwatch and it showed 73db.

We went for a ride in his Badlands with mid package cruising at 61mph, I activated the noise app and it showed 70db.

There it is, a real live test with two very similar models. Oh, and btw, we also tested a base model four door with a soft top at 61mph and it cranked up to 76db on the noise app.

8FDBE024-4E35-4EE9-976B-AA53C9F24EB3.jpeg

ECFE8979-4D11-450C-B975-ECC28736B706.jpeg
<< ā€¦ on the freeway cruising in my Black Diamond at 71mph, I activated the noise app on my smartwatch and it showed 73db.

We went for a ride in his Badlands with mid package cruising at 61mph, I activated the noise app and it showed 70db. ā€¦ >>

Hey wait a doggone minute here. Tests were at different speeds. Much different speeds. THEREFORE THE DATA IS INVALID BECAUSE YOU CHANGED MORE THAN ONE VARIABLE DURING YOUR TEST PROCEDURE.

Since weā€™re all friends here could you run the test again - this time on the exact same highway at the exact same speed, and you sitting in the same seating location??? Please?!?

Last edited:

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

<< ā€¦ on the freeway cruising in my Black Diamond at 71mph, I activated the noise app on my smartwatch and it showed 73db.

We went for a ride in his Badlands with mid package cruising at 61mph, I activated the noise app and it showed 70db. ā€¦ >>

Hey wait a doggone minute here. Tests were at different speeds. Much different speeds.

Since weā€™re all friends here could you run the test again - this time on the exact same highway at the exact same speed, and you sitting in the same seating location??? Please?!?
If you canā€™t use the data then itā€™s probably not relevant to you.

Last edited:

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The canned adhesive (3M) works well. You just have to let it set up before you apply. Then reactive with a hair dryer or heat gun.
My plan for this is similar. Iā€™m going to use dynamat first, then spray bed liner over top of the dynamat to seal it in. Should add less weight and be a little quicker of a job.
I would worry about the Bed liner not absorbing as much sound as carpet. I could be wrong.

Sponsored

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would worry about the Bed liner not absorbing as much sound as carpet. I could be wrong.
Dynamat is for the reduction. The bed liner just protects the surface of the mat and seals it in.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I can see that. I was just thinking of the difference of a room with tile and a room with carpet.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The canned adhesive (3M) works well. You just have to let it set up before you apply. Then reactive with a hair dryer or heat gun.
My plan for this is similar. Iā€™m going to use dynamat first, then spray bed liner over top of the dynamat to seal it in. Should add less weight and be a little quicker of a job.
Had been following this thread, and wondered if you got your rig and ended up doing this? I took delivery last week, I have the MIC with sound deadening, but I'd like to try to make it quieter.

AK007

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting my Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was looking into some options and I'm waiting to see what Hothead headliners produce as well as I wait for my Bronco and came across this:

https://soundskinsglobal.com/produc...DYuNivZZENLXq38WUFOUUeJqeSWbsa1IaAoH2EALw_wcB

Is it really worth installing sound dampening in the floors, especially if I have Vinyl flooring? I wasnt planning on it, and is the vinyl glued to the floor? I concerned more with the hard top.

joeramirez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@porjos How is your custom headliner holding up? Did you remove the small carpeted pieces ford installed under the latches or did you go over them?
Ford Bronco DIY Headliner using Dynamat and Dynaliner A6594E57-83CB-4C97-AF44-E026D1B65E84
Sponsored