MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If your gauge is showing twenty miles to empty, and the only station within the next fifty miles only has 87 octane, and the tanker is pumping it in as you pull up, you all will be putting in 87 and like it.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What is better? 90 Octane Ethanol Free, or 93 Regular? my Local gas station has both.
For your Bronco, if you want max power - 93. It is designed to run on up to 15% ethanol

For your snowblower, lawnmower, leafblower, chainsaw, dirtbike 90 ethanol free.

I have torn down enough small engine carburetors just to remove the water that the ethanol has remove from the gas while it sat. One benefit of ethanol is you rarely need to add dri-gas (isopropyl alcohol) to keep fuel lines from freezing, down side is the separation of water from the fuel as it sits. Water by itself is a poor combusting fuel. You can add tons of salt to it and make it burn in a lab or for a fleecing investors demonstration but without a vast amount of electricity to release the hydrogen or oxygen from each other water powered ICE wont get you far.

68 galaxie

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 galaxie /2017 f450 /2021 f150 / 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I always break in a new vehicle with 93 octane fuel. At least the first couple of tanks. then change the oil. I get hundred of thousands of miles out of my fords and never had a engine breakdown

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

most likely the case was to keep you in the dealership longer, try and get you to trust him, talk to him, so he can sell you on something. probably typical sales man. problem with salesmen at dealerships is that they aren't really car people. so they try and sell what they are given and don't actually know anything about cars or anything the like. just looking to sell sell sell.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I always break in a new vehicle with 93 octane fuel. At least the first couple of tanks. then change the oil. I get hundred of thousands of miles out of my fords and never had a engine breakdown
I always run 87 and get the same results with my Ford’s. I only use 93 in my 1970 Mach1 because when it was built, 93 was regular grade fuel.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You’re right. The 2022 spec sheet lists regular as 315/410. An older CNET [article](https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-ford-bronco-power-hp-fuel/) listed 300/400. Does look like the increase is even more minor than originally published; 15 and 5 rather than 30 and 15.

Maybe it’s time to start migrating back towards 87 for me! Wonder how much (if at all) it will impact my 18.7 lifetime mpg…
Ok, I was wondering where you got the 3.75% from, the sheet you referred me to has the 410 vs 415 number.

I'm an 87 guy!!

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The only reason to run a higher octane is if the engine mechanically requires it or the control system has the ability to detect fuel quality and increase performance (usually due to pre-ignition or detonation risk of damage). There is no "clean" gasoline, and it is unlawful to sell adulterated products. Everything else is marketing wank. The hydrocarbon doesn't care if you love it or have other feels.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

lol, no!
I was so fed up with the BS that I went thru, I just ran for the door! The length of my explanation would be that of a thesis. ridonkulous experience...
What a nightmare it was.
sold ford rough

Bifftws

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Z06 corvette, 2021 Ranger, BMW 328i manual
Your Bronco Model
Base
...were the first words out of my salesman's mouth...after I took delivery of my 2DR/WT/SAS (2.7L) last week.
Can anyone tell me why?
Struck me as V E R Y odd.

Thanks!
Modern car ECU's automatically adjust for octane, elevation, etc. I run everything from 87 to 93 in my 2002 corvette and it runs perfect no matter what what I put in it. It is definitely faster on 93, but it not hurting my engine. Your salesman is an idiot.

Sponsored

AddDemiGod

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

...were the first words out of my salesman's mouth...after I took delivery of my 2DR/WT/SAS (2.7L) last week.
Can anyone tell me why?
Struck me as V E R Y odd.

Thanks!
I'd say that he has no idea what he is talking about, running higher octane fuel doesn't do anything bad to you engine, if your car or truck doesn't need the higher octane rating then you're just wasting your money.
Ford states that you can use a range of octane ratings, the higher ratings allow you to get more power from the motor, you can use lower ratings you just won't get as much power.
Gasolines octane rating is it's resistance to ignite or start burning. The HIGHER the octane rating, the MORE resistance to igniting a fuel has. Sounds backwards but when you have a high stress or high performance motor it builds up heat faster and if it gets too hot then the fuel ignites before it's supposed to causing engine knock, so with the higher octane fuel that has a higher resistance to burning the fuel will start burning at the exact moment the computer wants it to. So you can be more risky and squeeze more power out of a motor with higher octane fuels.
Turbo charged motors should always run higher octane fuel due to the extra heat that the turbos cause for various reasons. You don't need to waste your money on higher octane fuels if it doesn't need it but the motors in the bronco are good examples of motors that should use higher octane fuel.
I'm confused why he would recommend that you don't use higher octane, so I'm just assuming he has no idea what he is talking about.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Must be the same salesman who, in 1986, told me the new Mustang GT I was looking at on his lot had an independent rear suspension. He actually argued it with me, even after I pointed out the 8.8" live stick with 4 control arms.
I left. Honestly, how can you be a salesman and be so ignorant of your product?

OP
OP
ALVA DUDE

ALVA DUDE

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'd say that he has no idea what he is talking about, running higher octane fuel doesn't do anything bad to you engine, if your car or truck doesn't need the higher octane rating then you're just wasting your money.
Ford states that you can use a range of octane ratings, the higher ratings allow you to get more power from the motor, you can use lower ratings you just won't get as much power.
Gasolines octane rating is it's resistance to ignite or start burning. The HIGHER the octane rating, the MORE resistance to igniting a fuel has. Sounds backwards but when you have a high stress or high performance motor it builds up heat faster and if it gets too hot then the fuel ignites before it's supposed to causing engine knock, so with the higher octane fuel that has a higher resistance to burning the fuel will start burning at the exact moment the computer wants it to. So you can be more risky and squeeze more power out of a motor with higher octane fuels.
Turbo charged motors should always run higher octane fuel due to the extra heat that the turbos cause for various reasons. You don't need to waste your money on higher octane fuels if it doesn't need it but the motors in the bronco are good examples of motors that should use higher octane fuel.
I'm confused why he would recommend that you don't use higher octane, so I'm just assuming he has no idea what he is talking about.
yah, quite the turd!!! thanks for the feedback though! appreciated!

OP
OP
ALVA DUDE

ALVA DUDE

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Must be the same salesman who, in 1986, told me the new Mustang GT I was looking at on his lot had an independent rear suspension. He actually argued it with me, even after I pointed out the 8.8" live stick with 4 control arms.
I left. Honestly, how can you be a salesman and be so ignorant of your product?
VERY TRUE AND AGREED! And the sad thing is that theyd rather spend an hour arguing with you about it then taking the 5 minutes to actually get the correct answer.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

VERY TRUE AND AGREED! And the sad thing is that theyd rather spend an hour arguing with you about it then taking the 5 minutes to actually get the correct answer.
Sometimes I think I'd make a great auto salesman, but I'm no more than 7 years from retirement and I can't risk my level of income. I've worked client-facing support & relationships all my life (no sales), and cars are my passion.
Sponsored