Sponsored

Does Eco mode change boost characteristics?

JL8jeff

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2door base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Does anyone know for sure what Eco mode really does besides less throttle response and earlier auto trans shifting? Does it restrict boost at lower rpm's (that would make sense), does it close the intercooler shutters, does it lock/unlock the torque converter earlier in autos? I drove in normal mode for the first year I had the Bronco (tried Eco twice and did not like the throttle response) but I added a throttle booster several months ago and decided to try Eco again and it feels a lot better with normal throttle and earlier shifting. That made me wonder if it also holds back boost since you really aren't hitting higher rpm's with the early shifting. I know it won't make any difference on the highway but on the local roads 25-45 mph it does feel better and seems to coast easier as you come up to stop signs and red lights. I probably picked the wrong time of year to try it since we're in the middle of changing from winter to summer gas so any mpg increase would be tough to verify as Eco vs the gas itself.
Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It does close intercooler shutters.

Softer acceleration on the pedal. Lower shift points on Autos.

I don't think it does anything else on the big Broncos. On the 3Cyl Sports it actually deactivates a cylinder (and it runs as a 2-cylinder, if you can believe it)

I don't think it does anything with turbo wastegate - I think it's all in the accelerator pedal response, which is going to naturally reduce the amount of boost as a side effect (engine can't ramp up as fast, so it can't build as much backpressure)

A lot of people like it for stop and go driving, and my son/wife use it when they are driving my Bronco because it makes it easier to control the clutch and shift (7MT).

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Does anyone know for sure what Eco mode really does besides less throttle response and earlier auto trans shifting? Does it restrict boost at lower rpm's (that would make sense), does it close the intercooler shutters, does it lock/unlock the torque converter earlier in autos? I drove in normal mode for the first year I had the Bronco (tried Eco twice and did not like the throttle response) but I added a throttle booster several months ago and decided to try Eco again and it feels a lot better with normal throttle and earlier shifting. That made me wonder if it also holds back boost since you really aren't hitting higher rpm's with the early shifting. I know it won't make any difference on the highway but on the local roads 25-45 mph it does feel better and seems to coast easier as you come up to stop signs and red lights. I probably picked the wrong time of year to try it since we're in the middle of changing from winter to summer gas so any mpg increase would be tough to verify as Eco vs the gas itself.
It just shifts differently and throttle input is different. Doesn’t change much about the engine just auto start stop is wants to be on all the time.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It does close intercooler shutters.

Softer acceleration on the pedal. Lower shift points on Autos.

I don't think it does anything else on the big Broncos. On the 3Cyl Sports it actually deactivates a cylinder (and it runs as a 2-cylinder, if you can believe it)

I don't think it does anything with turbo wastegate - I think it's all in the accelerator pedal response, which is going to naturally reduce the amount of boost as a side effect (engine can't ramp up as fast, so it can't build as much backpressure)

A lot of people like it for stop and go driving, and my son/wife use it when they are driving my Bronco because it makes it easier to control the clutch and shift (7MT).
I always found it interesting with running on 2 cylinders. Also though, when you floor it it will activate all cylinders.

Squirrel13

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Waiting on my 24 Wildtrak but ECO on 20 F350 diesel makes a difference in mpg. I have the S&B 60g tank. Denver to Louisville 1100 miles on one tank. I could have made Cincy but didnt want to run the tank that low. Yes the DTE is correct.

IMG_4982.jpeg

SmokeSaves

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC, Chevy, Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Waiting on my 24 Wildtrak but ECO on 20 F350 diesel makes a difference in mpg. I have the S&B 60g tank. Denver to Louisville 1100 miles on one tank. I could have made Cincy but didnt want to run the tank that low. Yes the DTE is correct.

Ford Bronco Does Eco mode change boost characteristics? IMG_4982
1355 miles to empty, that's what I'm talking about!! My 2-door gets around 300 miles/tank, and is the only thing I don't like about the Bronco.
Sponsored