Sponsored

Does SAS package now come with front locking hubs?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
depends on if you have the advanced transfer case or not. Non advanced there is a deal mounted to the front diff unit that disengages.
advanced is just the transfer case that disengages. Everything spins there are no”Hubs” per se the front axles are splined and bolted like a front wheel drive car.
I believe this is onesie the reasons mpg is so low on the Bronco
All Sasquatch vehicles have the advanced 4x4 transfer case (at least as far as I know).
Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

All Sasquatch vehicles have the advanced 4x4 transfer case (at least as far as I know).
I believe you are correct it is part of the package.

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What? The F-150 has done this for decades. It's had a "true IFS" since '97 and has used vacuum-actuated automatic hubs to connect the front wheels to the CV axles.
Was not the '80's f series front ends "tru IFS"? I would consider my '83 F150 as such and it had hubs, (no vacuum).

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Was not the '80's f series front ends "tru IFS"? I would consider my '83 F150 as such and it had hubs, (no vacuum).
F-150 used the Twin Traction Beam suspension design through '96.

Ford Bronco Does SAS package now come with front locking hubs? 1659554241535

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1410-ford-bronco-long-travel-basics-dont-scrap-that-ttb/

It's a kind of independent suspension, kind of. You still have the extremely high unsprung weight of a SFA but with the added bonus of horrendous camber curves.

Look at the positive camber up front:
Ford Bronco Does SAS package now come with front locking hubs? 1659554451069

vs real dual-a-arm IFS:
Ford Bronco Does SAS package now come with front locking hubs? 1659554487332

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

1659554241535.png

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1410-ford-bronco-long-travel-basics-dont-scrap-that-ttb/

It's a kind of independent suspension, kind of. You still have the extremely high unsprung weight of a SFA but with the added bonus of horrendous camber curves.

1659554451069.png

vs real dual-a-arm IFS:
1659554487332.png
Oh yeah, massive camber changes but it seemed to ride and handle well on and off road. It seemed to make the inside tire bite harder in a turn versus other ifs's, especially 2 wds. This was very similar to the twin I beam on the f series 2 wds. I still remember the tv adds driving on the 2 x4 road with a person in a chair mounted to the front fender. Sorry, but I meant the outside tire.

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Me in my 80‘s Toymota showing my friend how it does off road in mud…

Me: oops I think I’m stuck.
Friend: did you lock your front hubs before driving into this mud hole?
Me: ummmm… how about you lock the passenger side hub and I’ll lock the driver side hub?
Friend: it’s your truck. You get out and slog thru mud.
I see we have both run in the same circles of friends and experiences.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1659554241535.png

1659554451069.png

vs real dual-a-arm IFS:
1659554487332.png
I shoulda posted the TTB picture... My bad.

I remember having all of that out of my 91. I thought I was making real progress. Little did I know the work had JUST started. The damn radius arm mounts were riveted on, in like 6 places.... Then I had to go hacking on the cross member...

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 1984 4Runner has Manual locking hubs, which do help with gas mileage when in 2wd and around town. The front diff, however, is still "open" and it can loose traction and spin away (nothing but $$ holding me back).
My 1995 Nissan Hard Body truck had Automatic locking hubs. I don't remember if they were electric or vacuum, but they were a pain and didn't engage 100% of the time. You also had to drive backwards for 20 feet to disengage them after getting out of 4 wheel drive. Yuck.
The modern Bronco front IFS is very similar in design to the modern (since 1996) Toyota IFS system. The front CV's are splined directly into the wheel hubs and spin the front diff all the time. The transfer case allows the spinning front driveshaft, which is attached to a gear inside the transfer case to spin freely. It is disconnected from the drive system either with clutches or shift forks (I've got no idea yet). The Bronco SAS comes with an electronic locker for the front and the rear diffs. Only other vehicles on the market with a front locking diff would be a Wrangler, Mercedes G-Wagon and Toyota Land Cruiser.

Bronco Bob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Bronco, 1994 Bronco, 2009 F150, 2017 F 250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not way past, Super Dutys still have them. Solid axle feature, something jeep did away with and should have kept imo.
I was just about to say this. Not way in the past, on my Super Duty You have to lock in the hubs for 4 Low.

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Only other vehicles on the market with a front locking diff would be a Wrangler, Mercedes G-Wagon and Toyota Land Cruiser.
Silverado/Sierra, Colorado, Gladiator, Power Wagon......

Last edited:

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
My 1984 4Runner has Manual locking hubs, which do help with gas mileage when in 2wd and around town. The front diff, however, is still "open" and it can loose traction and spin away (nothing but $$ holding me back).
My 1995 Nissan Hard Body truck had Automatic locking hubs. I don't remember if they were electric or vacuum, but they were a pain and didn't engage 100% of the time. You also had to drive backwards for 20 feet to disengage them after getting out of 4 wheel drive. Yuck.
The modern Bronco front IFS is very similar in design to the modern (since 1996) Toyota IFS system. The front CV's are splined directly into the wheel hubs and spin the front diff all the time. The transfer case allows the spinning front driveshaft, which is attached to a gear inside the transfer case to spin freely. It is disconnected from the drive system either with clutches or shift forks (I've got no idea yet). The Bronco SAS comes with an electronic locker for the front and the rear diffs. Only other vehicles on the market with a front locking diff would be a Wrangler, Mercedes G-Wagon and Toyota Land Cruiser.

Aftermarket manual locking hubs was my first search after placing my order.

My first 4x4 was a 1969 fj40 with warn hubs. I still have a set of those hubs!

I wish they made them for the new bronco!!!
Sponsored