First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there a need to have them leashed while in the cargo area? Besides jumping out, obviously. I only have the dogs the cargo area because it should be the safest for them but never thought about needing to restrain them while in there (they wouldn't jump out).
Maybe your dog ate your key fob. 😁 ;)
Sponsored

TahoeTexan

Outer Banks
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Both of our pups wear harnesses with a short anchor, either to the seat belt latch or in the cargo area latched to the child car seat anchor.

I do not feel comfortable with a neck collar anchored. The harness distributed the restraint across the core of their body, kinda similar to an adult seatbelt.

***I am NOT a dog/vehicle safety expert.

Last edited:

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Both of our pups wear harnesses with a shirt anchor, either to the seat belt latch or in the cargo area latched to the child car seat anchor.

I do not feel comfortable with a neck collar anchored. The harness distributed the restraint across the core of their body, kinda similar to an adult seatbelt.

***I am NOT a dog/vehicle safety expert.

As far as I can tell the only "institute" that certifies dog harnesses for crash testing is the Center for Pet Safety, CPS. ( https://www.centerforpetsafety.org/test-results/harnesses/cps-approved-harnesses/)

My problem with CPS is their testing criteria:
1) No gross failure of stitching / webbing / clips
2) Dog cannot travel 3ft

They're using distance, but fail to assign a max head or chest G-force on the dog to assess injury criteria. They also do not disclose how many G's are used in the crash test, a pretty standard criteria, just that they're performing the test at a NHTSA approved site.

This dog doesn't become a projectile, which is great, AND doesn't travel 3ft. But he's so rigidly strapped in, that had it been a real dog his organs are going to slam around and his neck will slam forward.

So what they're truly measuring for is to not make your dog a projectile and potentially injuring you or other passengers.

Our dog sits on the floor in the rear seat well.

Fathom

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen II Ford Raptor, '22 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I made my selection of the Ruff Rider Roadie harness based on their advertised testing by several agencies including CTL Thompson Lab In Denver CO (measured break strength), and AZT Automotive GmbH (Allianz) In Munich Germany And MGA in the US which crash tested them. The harness is built incredibly strong. I used the original harness from 2010 to recently when I bought the new improved version (very comfortable for my new pup). In my jeeps the harness is secured via the Raingler netting which utilizes mil-spec strapping and is secured to the sport cage and seat mounts. They can be easily secured to child safety seat anchor points. Dog crates are good (most K9 units use them in their cruisers) but they need to be anchored firmly too. I prefer the harness when open airing and the dogs have loved it.

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last edited:

Sponsored

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP, my setup is a restraint I found probably nearly 30 years ago so no idea where to get one. But it is basically a heavy leash/ratchet strap material that went from side to side on the bed of my truck, with a shorter length sewn in the center of the piece that went side to side, with the clasp to hook to his harness so my pup couldn't get to the sides. Can't wait to put it into service in the bronco!

Is there a need to have them leashed while in the cargo area? Besides jumping out, obviously. I only have the dogs the cargo area because it should be the safest for them but never thought about needing to restrain them while in there (they wouldn't jump out).
Now for what brought me here.... DUDE!!! 15 pages at this point... let us know!!!! https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/im-an-idiot-or-going-insane.46902/

Ford Bronco Dog Restraints - Cargo Area why-you-no-answer-17634839

Last edited:

Broncobabe221

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Juke
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks