First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks good. Like the idea of keeping it a little higher.

Can anyone tell me the minimum width needed ( between the horizontals ), so that the door can slide in??
I have 10" and my doors fit in their factory storage bags. You can probably go an inch or 1.5 narrower without bags if you had to for some reason.

BTW, nice to see another badlands (in th blue I ordered before I found this cactus one) with the standard wheels/tires. I thought I had to have Sasquatch until this one was on the lot... like the narrower width for garaging!
Sponsored

MiamiDad

Badlands
First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco 2D Badlands MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have 10" and my doors fit in their factory storage bags. You can probably go an inch or 1.5 narrower without bags if you had to for some reason.

BTW, nice to see another badlands (in th blue I ordered before I found this cactus one) with the standard wheels/tires. I thought I had to have Sasquatch until this one was on the lot... like the narrower width for garaging!
thanks i am trying to see if i can build one for a 2 door on the Flat Harbor dolly that is 24" . Based on what you are saying, I think i can get away with it. The OD of the 1.5 pvc is about 2". so 6" for the runs leaves 9" gap for each of the doors. I can always slightly overhand the ends on the dolly to get 9.5" gap. Thanks a lot for the info.

BTW I love CG color. But i let my kids pic and they picked Area51. I would have gone Black, CG, or Race Red.

Blu6GBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4D Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Based on the insight and input from this thread, I tried to tackle it, albeit with an added use. Thanks to those who did this and inspired me to attempt!

Seeing a lot of folks drop their doors on re-install (not too many on taking them off), I figured I could shrink the distance from door base to surface below by utilizing a version of this framework and an existing dolly/cart I had laying around. I have the door bags and would place the doors in the bag, before any removal/re-install to give extra protection as well.

I didn't realize how quickly the primer/glue set, so one of the elbows was cocked two degrees off, throwing the entire rack a bit wonky when the two half's are joined, but oh well. No extra parts or patience to rectify! (But it does place lateral pressure on the two horizontal pipes joining the two half's at least when assembled in full... I'll probably still take a ratchet strap around the entire base to hold together, just in case since I want to leave the modularity in place for loading/unloading.)

I left two joints unglued, so I could have a "storage" full (for when both doors are off and sitting in the garage) and a "removal/reinstall" half version (for active removal or reinstall.)

I plan on actually testing it out tomorrow as I ran out of time today, but here's what it looks like based on my crappy drawing and actuals:
PVC frame to set on dolly cart w approx dimensions.jpg

IMG_8268.jpeg

IMG_8267.jpeg
I really like this approach as I have been wanting two separate carts each storing two doors, while also having some sort of option to help safely reattaching the doors. The non-cemented side providing a single modular component to this to assist with the door is great. Would you mind sharing the length of PVC on the larger vertical and horizontals? I would like to reproduce this almost identically for my needs. Thanks.

defiant2

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will go measure the as-built today, but that means it won't be the exact measurements as some of the pipe is within the joint pieces. (yes, I'm an idiot who lost all of the measurement sheets I left on the shelf at Home Depot as I cut the pieces...)

For your use, if you want two separate storage racks, make x2 of the below image alone as opposed to what I did, but with a 4-way instead of 5-way at the bottom corner. If you're using the second cart to store the rear doors, make as I did. (The second half of mine cannot stand on it's own and requires the "double vertical" piece to support it.)

The primary reason I modified as I did was so that only a smaller rack was involved when I install/uninstall the doors... this does mean, that my first door is in its bag, on the floor leaning against something until I can get the other door off. Then I connect the second half of the rack and place the door back in it. For an added 1.5" of length, I could have built x2 of the double-vertical" side of the rack and joined them for storage that way, and probably should have.

Ford Bronco Door Storage Holder PVC Cart for Garage - DIY Instructions & Photos IMG_8268

like this - two half's joined by 2" of pvc if you want each door to stand on it's own, yet still collapse down to manageable pieces when not in use. (In my case, I nest the smaller "half" inside the larger half and hang the entire thing up on ladder hooks in the garage when not in use)
Ford Bronco Door Storage Holder PVC Cart for Garage - DIY Instructions & Photos 1672336447836

Last edited:

Blu6GBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4D Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will go measure the as-built today, but that means it won't be the exact measurements as some of the pipe is within the joint pieces. (yes, I'm an idiot who lost all of the measurement sheets I left on the shelf at Home Depot as I cut the pieces...)

For your use, if you want two separate storage racks, make x2 of the below image alone as opposed to what I did, but with a 4-way instead of 5-way at the bottom corner. If you're using the second cart to store the rear doors, make as I did. (The second half of mine cannot stand on it's own and requires the "double vertical" piece to support it.)

The primary reason I modified as I did was so that only a smaller rack was involved when I install/uninstall the doors... this does mean, that my first door is in its bag, on the floor leaning against something until I can get the other door off. Then I connect the second half of the rack and place the door back in it. For an added 1.5" of length, I could have built x2 of the double-vertical" side of the rack and joined them for storage that way, and probably should have.

Ford Bronco Door Storage Holder PVC Cart for Garage - DIY Instructions & Photos 1672336447836

like this - two half's joined by 2" of pvc if you want each door to stand on it's own, yet still collapse down to manageable pieces when not in use. (In my case, I nest the smaller "half" inside the larger half and hang the entire thing up on ladder hooks in the garage when not in use)
Yep, I completely follow your intent and reasons which align with exactly what I wanted to do. Another thing I wanted to ask is how has using this solution as a support system to mount / unmount the doors? I did notice that when the doors are open, the ground clearance up to the bottom of doors is less towards the door jam, and progressively higher towards the end of the door. Did / does that cause a challenge when building the rack and using this solution in the overall mount / unmount of the door? I appreciate your response!

Sponsored

defiant2

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, I completely follow your intent and reasons which align with exactly what I wanted to do. Another thing I wanted to ask is how has using this solution as a support system to mount / unmount the doors? I did notice that when the doors are open, the ground clearance up to the bottom of doors is less towards the door jam, and progressively higher towards the end of the door. Did / does that cause a challenge when building the rack and using this solution in the overall mount / unmount of the door? I appreciate your response!
You'll see I purposefully made my rack a bit higher than most (the extra leg-length beneath the door supports) for the purpose of using to install/uninstall... but, I wanted the cart mobile as well so instead of buying the hard mount one (and then have to mount that to the rack and then not having it store on the wall easily), I just rest this on top of a dolly I had laying around. Now, I do zip tie the rack to the cart when I am actively loading/unloading doors, just so it doesn't move around on top of the dolly. But for storage, the rack's on the ground and isn't going anywhere with either or both door resting on it! When the doors are on the Honey Badger, the cart halves and dolly are stored on the ladder rack/hooks on the walls.

Uninstall, it probably wasn't necessary, but for re-install, it's really nice (without a second person around) to use the rack (on top of the dolly as shown in the picture) to get very close to the hinge pins, then lift and set back on. Gives me piece of mind until it's all bolted back together, that if it falls, it's an inch at most.

You are correct in your assessment on how the door opens upwards and outwards (like Aston Martin, albeit not as extreme!) and why I set my rack-on-dolly to just clear the inner section closest to the hinges. It does mean the outer part of the door, furthest away from the hinges, is slightly higher... but since the doors are in the bags for when I take on/off anyway, it's a minimal "fall" distance!

See dimensions below:
Ford Bronco Door Storage Holder PVC Cart for Garage - DIY Instructions & Photos 1672352922841

Last edited:

Blu6GBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4D Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You'll see I purposefully made my rack a bit higher than most (the extra leg-length beneath the door supports) for the purpose of using to install/uninstall... but, I wanted the cart mobile as well so instead of buying the hard mount one (and then have to mount that to the rack and then not having it store on the wall easily), I just rest this on top of a dolly I had laying around. Now, I do zip tie the rack to the cart when I am actively loading/unloading doors, just so it doesn't move around on top of the dolly. But for storage, the rack's on the ground and isn't going anywhere with either or both door resting on it! When the doors are on the Honey Badger, the cart halves and dolly are stored on the ladder rack/hooks on the walls.

Uninstall, it probably wasn't necessary, but for re-install, it's really nice (without a second person around) to use the rack (on top of the dolly as shown in the picture) to get very close to the hinge pins, then lift and set back on. Gives me piece of mind until it's all bolted back together, that if it falls, it's an inch at most.

You are correct in your assessment on how the door opens upwards and outwards (like Aston Martin, albeit not as extreme!) and why I set my rack-on-dolly to just clear the inner section closest to the hinges. It does mean the outer part of the door, furthest away from the hinges, is slightly higher... but since the doors are in the bags for when I take on/off anyway, it's a minimal "fall" distance!

See dimensions below:
Ford Bronco Door Storage Holder PVC Cart for Garage - DIY Instructions & Photos 1672352922841
Sweet. I appreciate the detailed explanation / response. I quickly took measurements of the doors and your measurements make sence to me. Thanks for taking the time to backwards engineer the lengths of the different pvc sections. It's great to hear the solution helped with the door insulation and the process overall. Did you end up using Primer and Cement for pvc? I've seen forgo the Primer and skip straight to the Cement. Not sure if primer is essential. I've yet to work with pvc sealant, so this will be my first rodeo. Should be fun!

defiant2

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sweet. I appreciate the detailed explanation / response. I quickly took measurements of the doors and your measurements make sence to me. Thanks for taking the time to backwards engineer the lengths of the different pvc sections. It's great to hear the solution helped with the door insulation and the process overall. Did you end up using Primer and Cement for pvc? I've seen forgo the Primer and skip straight to the Cement. Not sure if primer is essential. I've yet to work with pvc sealant, so this will be my first rodeo. Should be fun!
I did use the purple primer and cement. It’s what caused it to set so quickly and be a few degrees off on one section! So, if you use both, make sure it’s lined up first! Hahaha

I had never cut or glued pvc before and it’s still holding up, so you should be good-to-go!

best of luck, let me know if I can answer anything further and happy new year!

ps, remember I designed this rack to these dimensions based on the dolly I had on hand it was going to sit on for door removal/install. Remember to take into account whatever wheel-base-system, if using, when measuring what works for you!

Blu6GBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4D Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did use the purple primer and cement. It’s what caused it to set so quickly and be a few degrees off on one section! So, if you use both, make sure it’s lined up first! Hahaha

I had never cut or glued pvc before and it’s still holding up, so you should be good-to-go!

best of luck, let me know if I can answer anything further and happy new year!

ps, remember I designed this rack to these dimensions based on the dolly I had on hand it was going to sit on for door removal/install. Remember to take into account whatever wheel-base-system, if using, when measuring what works for you!
Ah OK. Thanks for confirming. I'll give it a shot hopefully this weekend. I appreciate it.

defiant2

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ah OK. Thanks for confirming. I'll give it a shot hopefully this weekend. I appreciate it.
Good luck - and a correction: the horizontal pieces (x4 on mine) were 10", not 12". Sorry for the typo!

Sponsored

ElDuderino

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m going to use this to help get them on and off. Stolen from a jeep site. Ahhh

Ford Bronco Door Storage Holder PVC Cart for Garage - DIY Instructions & Photos 8A83D4D2-6E4C-40EB-9EA1-AE73D10709FD
This is a great idea. It is kind of hard getting the doors on/off solo. More so getting them back on, especially without damaging anything. Having a cart to raise/lower them would help out big time. Keep us updated if you end up building one!

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

E_Cups

Outer Banks
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife's Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Oh, and you can get a cheap trolly from harbor freight (they are blue) that is completely flat. Half the price of the wood/carpet option and you can drill directly into the plastic or use zip ties. During the summer I take it apart and store it, so zipping it has been helpful.

Ford Bronco Door Storage Holder PVC Cart for Garage - DIY Instructions & Photos 8A83D4D2-6E4C-40EB-9EA1-AE73D10709FD

I know its been a few months, but do yu have a cut list/parts list for this design? Thanks!

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My spin on the OP’s design (thanks @ShopGirl24!).

I used ABS instead of PVC as it was cheaper. Did some measurement mods to make equal widths given I used sanitary tees on the base piping. Pool noodles held on with good ol’ hockey shin pad tape for my test fitting - I’ll see how well it works but so far everything’s staying in place. I may “stick” with the tape solution.

On the bottom I added some angle brackets to the dolly to give alignment and lateral stability to the frame. I also screwed the vertical piping to the base instead of gluing it together, making it easy to disassemble and store flat in the fall.

I was able to get all my pipe lengths out of 4-12’ lengths of 1.5” ABS, even with a couple of mistakes.

Note the camera makes the vertical pieces look warped. They are straight.

Thanks to all inputs on this thread!

IMG_0931.jpeg
IMG_0930.jpeg
IMG_0929.jpeg
IMG_0932.jpeg
Sponsored