Sponsored

Dumb Tire Question - why change stock Sasquatch tires for new ones?

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That’s a good list. As a person who lives in Nevada where it rarely rains I almost never have to deal with mud so I tend to go for a slightly less aggressive tread between an AT and the MT you listed. Tires in this category for the same size you mentioned aren’t as common as MT or AT but a few I’d have no problem running include:

Nitto Ridge Grappler
Toyo Rugged Terrain

I wasn’t as energetic as you and didn’t look past these two options because they’re really the only two I’ve considered.

One item not mentioned is load rating and on the advice of a friend who does a lot of off-roading in NV and has owned a tire store for nearly 50 years I’d also move up in load rating to a D or E. In my case, since I deal with a ton of sharp rocks in certain areas of Nevada while hunting, I’d go to a E load rated tire.

Lastly, based on the advice of the same friend I also found non-metric sized tires generally have deeper tread and higher load ratings so I’d go with a 35x12.50R17 rather than the metric LT315/70R17 for a replacement for my 35” Sasquatch tires.

As far as why peeps change out their stock tires, I’d argue most do it for appearances. Much like the three Jeeps I saw at the gym this morning with unused Handyman jacks and recovery boards strapped to them.

For what it’s worth I’ve done the Rubicon trail a few times along with a ton of what I’d call non-recreational off-roading while hunting and fishing in remote areas. First time on the Rubicon was 40 years ago with my brother in his 60’s something Bronco. I got away from the strictly recreational stuff years ago but plan to get back into it if my damn Bronco ever gets delivered.

Where do you hunt in Nevada? I used to live in Pahrump and did some hunting all over Nye County and some in Esmeralda County.
Sponsored

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Because they suck on really cold snowy roads.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where do you hunt in Nevada? I used to live in Pahrump and did some hunting all over Nye County and some in Esmeralda County.
All over, but mostly north of highway 50 or within 50 miles to the south of it. Sometimes down around Vegas if a friend gets lucky a draws a desert bighorn tag in a unit down there.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

All over, but mostly north of highway 50 or within 50 miles to the south of it. Sometimes down around Vegas if a friend gets lucky a draws a desert bighorn tag in a unit down there.

Awesome man. I rode a bicycle across hwy 50 in 2002. "Loneliest Road in America"

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a huge brain, therefore (see?) have more money laying around than I know what to do with. I swapped to BFG KO2’s at 3,000 miles. Here’s my opinion:
1). Previous OE ford Goodyear’s on F150’s have sucked in wet conditions and worn out very fast.
2). I’ve put over 150,000 miles on 3 sets of KO2’s on said Ford trucks and been very happy with performance (on road traction, comfort, and wear)
3). That said I’ll try Ridge Grapplers next because BFG apparently can’t make a round tire anymore. I will give the stock tires credit for being perfectly balanced. My new ones suck over 75 MPH.

The BFGs keep/toss at least 90% fewer stones than the GYs did. Before my motor blew on Sunday I’d put 3300 on these new BFG tires. Last Saturday I installed stupid f’n mud flaps just to keep the mess down and reduce post wheeling cleanup time. (I’m getting old, sue me).

When I replaced them, the stock GY tires had developed enough uneven wear to provide a hi frequency “rumble strip like” vibe in the wheel. Very different than a 1x rotation balance issue.

I will say that the Bronco itself is so capable, the average Mall Crawler like me will find the stock tire off road traction more than adequate, at least in the sandy clay soil and granite rock conditions of the South East. Even when it’s very wet and muddy.

Somebody pushing the limits on highly technical terrain will have different needs and opinions on tires.

Thinking about Fords financial balance act of performance vs unit cost vs the fact 99% of Broncos will be judged bossed on road manners and I think they did OK with the stock option. Again since I’m so smart and therefore rich I can afford better than OK ( don’t think I’ve found it yet).

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

because they suck