Sponsored

Dumb Tire Question - why change stock Sasquatch tires for new ones?

JB1901

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, SE Kansas in fact. This is at Kansas Rocks Recreation Park.
Nice! I haven't ever been there but plan on it sometime, also, in our 4Dr velocity blue Bronco.
Sponsored

Traillme

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This isn’t Bronco limited…I really don’t understand why they don’t offer a few more tire options for the build. I am not asking for unlimited options…but 4 wheel styles and 3 tire options don’t seem overly burdensome and with a little data, easy to project volumes. Seems like a win-win happier consumers when they save a little cash and get what they want. Sure not a 100% solution but would appease the masses.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry but that picture proves nothing if you just came out of the damp dirt at slow speed then stopped, noticed it and snapped a photo. Been there, seen the same with really high quality tires and also with crappy tires. Not saying they’re good tires just saying one picture showing them filled with dirt proves nothing and if you have as much experience as you say you do you know it too.

Edit: Now that I see the tires you’re comparing them to it makes more sense. But my comments regarding mud build up at slow speed still stand for the vast majority off off road tires most will put on a rig that’ll be driven on and off road.
I didn't take either of the pictures or video I posted. It's not like I'm out here plotting how I can smear campaign GY or anything like that.

Watch the video, the tires don't clean out even with wheel spin.

I'm not comparing these tires to just Rockers (I fully understand what Rockers are and the difference), I was simply stating specific details related to the video and the trail group I was in that day. I've been in other groups with my Bronco with people running STTs, Trail Grapplers, ect... I've been wheeling for over half my life so I have experience with any of probably 100 different tires used on dual purpose rigs. Ultimately I'm not just basing my comments on 2 half days at the Off-Roadeo or one single day on the trails.

While the Goodyear Wrangler Territory M/T tires DO perform well on-road, they are marginal at best off-road. There are much much better dual purpose tires out there (which, going back to the op, is one big reason why people are swapping out the stock Sasquatch tires).

Last edited:

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This isn’t Bronco limited…I really don’t understand why they don’t offer a few more tire options for the build. I am not asking for unlimited options…but 4 wheel styles and 3 tire options don’t seem overly burdensome and with a little data, easy to project volumes. Seems like a win-win happier consumers when they save a little cash and get what they want. Sure not a 100% solution but would appease the masses.
EXACTLY!!!!!

DasQball

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST, Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hi guys. This may admittedly be a dumb question so forgive me in advance. Why are so many folks trading out there stock squatch tires for new ones? I plan on changing out the wheels but had planned on doing so using the existing Goodyear tires. I did a spec vs spec comparison of the stock 315's that come on the Wildtrak versus the 35/12.5/17 most are moving to and the difference is minimal at best. Thoughts?
After hearing about all the chips in the paint from tossing rocks, I'm considering it. I have a Wildtrak with step bars and there aren't any mudflap options without drilling/cutting at the moment. I did order a set of flaps to modify... but if it doesn't work out I'll consider new tires.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Haven't decided yet but the KM3s are probably my top choice for my summer tire. You really liked them?
When I bought my used Jeep, I didn't pay any attention to the actual tires other than see that they had good tread on them.

So I went out several times in some pretty gnarly stuff (At least for a beginner). Gone through muddy terrain (Not water, strictly thick mud) half way up the tires...no problem. Gone through snow, climbed up muddy hills (with rear and front locker) no problem. Gone through water crossings with sandy/mud bottomes up to the bottom of doors.... All with no problems.

Actually the only time I got stuck, was when I went through a water crossing and hit some ruts and turtled. All four tires weren't even touching the ground anymore!

On the road, literally no noise. I mean the Jeeps aren't known for being quiet, but I barely hear the tires.

At one point, I finally decided to look at the sidewall to see what kind of tire it was... KM2

FarmBoy88

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F250, 1988 F350, 1978 F250, 2011 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I live on a 3 mile windy mountain gravel road in Colorado, so my daily drive is a challenge in winter. I have Goodyear Duratrac on my Tundra and BFG KO2 on my 4Runner. Duratrac is great in the snow but are loud and wear fast. The BFGs might be a better universal tire and pretty quiet, but not as good in the snow as the Duratrac. I am hoping these Wrangler Territory are good in the snow, if so they will be worth it to me. Also considering chains for the rear tires for snowmageddon. Crossing fingers chains will fit over the SAS tires.

Hellion10

Badlands
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Audi A7 Prestige, '23 Tundra Capstone, ‘69 C10
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Or some people have more money because they have more brains...

But yes its really a personal decision based on what you are doing with your rig.
The “more money than brains” quote is on every car forum I’m on, made by the same angry/jealous/cash-strapped type of person. 🤦‍♂️😂

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't take either of the pictures or video I posted. It's not like I'm out here plotting how I can smear campaign GY or anything like that.

Watch the video, the tires don't clean out even with wheel spin.

I'm not comparing these tires to just Rockers (I fully understand what Rockers are and the difference), I was simply stating specific details related to the video and the trail group I was in that day. I've been in other groups with my Bronco with people running STTs, Trail Grapplers, ect... I've been wheeling for over half my life so I have experience with any of probably 100 different tires used on dual purpose rigs. Ultimately I'm not just basing my comments on 2 half days at the Off-Roadeo or one single day on the trails.

While the Goodyear Wrangler Territory M/T tires DO perform well on-road, they are marginal at best off-road. There are much much better dual purpose tires out there (which, going back to the op, is one big reason why people are swapping out the stock Sasquatch tires).
Serious question, based on your experience which 3-5 tires would you recommend for best all around performance for those on the forum who are looking for an all around tire that performs well both on road and off-road? Granted there will be compromises so a quick summary of strengths and weaknesses for each is appreciate.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Serious question, based on your experience which 3-5 tires would you recommend for best all around performance for those on the forum who are looking for an all around tire that performs well both on road and off-road? Granted there will be compromises so a quick summary of strengths and weaknesses for each is appreciate.
Ok so my list would be streetable M/T tires. I want something I can crawl but not get completely beat to death on road. Basically I would suggest looking at the most aggressive radial any given company makes and step down 1 tire. The most extreme stuff is obviously going to be trash on-road but typically the #2 tire is going to be aggressive enough to crawl but compromises enough that you get decent on-road behavior.

Let's keep the context in mind here, we're talking about tires for a Sasquatch Bronco. A Bronco that has front and rear lockers, off-road tuned suspension, and stock 35" tires. A vehicle that is designed for serious off-road use. If you're using your Bronco to its capabilities you're going to need a tire that can keep up (which is NOT the one they put on it). That being said, you are going to give up some on-road comfort and noise for that.

Is this list perfect, no. Do I have personal experience with every single one of these tires, no. Obviously not all of the tires I've used over the years are still produced. This is my best guess based on tread pattern, design, reviews,... of currently available tire choices. The Trail Grapplers are what I will be going with.

Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3
Cooper Evolution M/T
Pro Comp Xtreme MT2
Firestone Destination M/T 2
Mickey Thompson Baja Boss M/T
Toyo Open Country M/T
Kumho Road Venture MT71

Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok so my list would be streetable M/T tires. I want something I can crawl but not get completely beat to death on road. Basically I would suggest looking at the most aggressive radial any given company makes and step down 1 tire. The most extreme stuff is obviously going to be trash on-road but typically the #2 tire is going to be aggressive enough to crawl but compromises enough that you get decent on-road behavior.

Let's keep the context in mind here, we're talking about tires for a Sasquatch Bronco. A Bronco that has front and rear lockers, off-road tuned suspension, and stock 35" tires. A vehicle that is designed for serious off-road use. If you're using your Bronco to its capabilities you're going to need a tire that can keep up (which is NOT the one they put on it). That being said, you are going to give up some on-road comfort and noise for that.

Is this list perfect, no. Do I have personal experience with every single one of these tires, no. Obviously not all of the tires I've used over the years are still produced. This is my best guess based on tread pattern, design, reviews,... of currently available tire choices. The Trail Grapplers are what I will be going with.

Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3
Cooper Evolution M/T
Pro Comp Xtreme MT2
Firestone Destination M/T 2
Mickey Thompson Baja Boss M/T
Toyo Open Country M/T
Kumho Road Venture MT71
That’s a good list. As a person who lives in Nevada where it rarely rains I almost never have to deal with mud so I tend to go for a slightly less aggressive tread between an AT and the MT you listed. Tires in this category for the same size you mentioned aren’t as common as MT or AT but a few I’d have no problem running include:

Nitto Ridge Grappler
Toyo Rugged Terrain

I wasn’t as energetic as you and didn’t look past these two options because they’re really the only two I’ve considered.

One item not mentioned is load rating and on the advice of a friend who does a lot of off-roading in NV and has owned a tire store for nearly 50 years I’d also move up in load rating to a D or E. In my case, since I deal with a ton of sharp rocks in certain areas of Nevada while hunting, I’d go to a E load rated tire.

Lastly, based on the advice of the same friend I also found non-metric sized tires generally have deeper tread and higher load ratings so I’d go with a 35x12.50R17 rather than the metric LT315/70R17 for a replacement for my 35” Sasquatch tires.

As far as why peeps change out their stock tires, I’d argue most do it for appearances. Much like the three Jeeps I saw at the gym this morning with unused Handyman jacks and recovery boards strapped to them.

For what it’s worth I’ve done the Rubicon trail a few times along with a ton of what I’d call non-recreational off-roading while hunting and fishing in remote areas. First time on the Rubicon was 40 years ago with my brother in his 60’s something Bronco. I got away from the strictly recreational stuff years ago but plan to get back into it if my damn Bronco ever gets delivered.

GoobertownDaddy

Base
First Name
Murphy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2004 JEEP WRANGLER, 2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi guys. This may admittedly be a dumb question so forgive me in advance. Why are so many folks trading out there stock squatch tires for new ones? I plan on changing out the wheels but had planned on doing so using the existing Goodyear tires. I did a spec vs spec comparison of the stock 315's that come on the Wildtrak versus the 35/12.5/17 most are moving to and the difference is minimal at best. Thoughts?
To me those stock tires look like shit... You can't be proud of nothing and know those things are on your ride... That's just me though.

Bdockins

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

They're not good off-road (they clog up instantly in any kind of setting that has soil or mud) and they throw rocks like crazy.

Which are good (great?) off-road but don’t throw the rocks ? Thanks seriously

Bdockins

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

FYI ... Nitto RGs are literally 18 pounds heavier than the GY .. they do look nice but every time I look at the weight I just can't pull the trigger
Which would you switch to to reduce rock-throws as a main consideration?
Thankee main

Bdockins

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I live on a 3 mile windy mountain gravel road in Colorado, so my daily drive is a challenge in winter. I have Goodyear Duratrac on my Tundra and BFG KO2 on my 4Runner. Duratrac is great in the snow but are loud and wear fast. The BFGs might be a better universal tire and pretty quiet, but not as good in the snow as the Duratrac. I am hoping these Wrangler Territory are good in the snow, if so they will be worth it to me. Also considering chains for the rear tires for snowmageddon. Crossing fingers chains will fit over the SAS tires.
How are the KO2s in terms of throwing rocks?
Sponsored