Sponsored

Dumb Tire Question - why change stock Sasquatch tires for new ones?

cnflctd

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi guys. This may admittedly be a dumb question so forgive me in advance. Why are so many folks trading out there stock squatch tires for new ones? I plan on changing out the wheels but had planned on doing so using the existing Goodyear tires. I did a spec vs spec comparison of the stock 315's that come on the Wildtrak versus the 35/12.5/17 most are moving to and the difference is minimal at best. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Reactions: Cat

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi guys. This may admittedly be a dumb question so forgive me in advance. Why are so many folks trading out there stock squatch tires for new ones? I plan on changing out the wheels but had planned on doing so using the existing Goodyear tires. I did a spec vs spec comparison of the stock 315's that come on the Wildtrak versus the 35/12.5/17 most are moving to and the difference is minimal at best. Thoughts?
My limited understanding tells me that the MT in the Goodyear doesn't really stand for Mud/Terrain, but actually is a marketing thing - "Maximum Traction". (Or Mall Traction if you take it a step further)

People who want to do more than very casual wheeling are upgrading to proper M/T tires (like Nitto Ridge Grapplers) or opting for tires with a higher rating (like D or E rated multi-layer types)

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll be changing out because I want white lettering ;)

But seriously, I'll just use a tire pain pen.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They're not good off-road (they clog up instantly in any kind of setting that has soil or mud) and they throw rocks like crazy.

Kekov721

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm also just switching the wheels and keeping the tires. Lot of chatter about the good years kicking up rocks, but a mudflap solves that issue. Once these wearout I'll likely upgrade.

Sponsored

Captain nSANEo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some people have more money than brains.
Or some people have more money because they have more brains...

But yes its really a personal decision based on what you are doing with your rig.

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some people have more money than brains.
+1

Back in the late 80's I bought a V8 powered '77 CJ5 that cost less than most of the aftermarket off-road bumpers available for my Bronco... the floorpans were completely rusted through... but still.

Last edited:

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They're not good off-road (they clog up instantly in any kind of setting that has soil or mud) and they throw rocks like crazy.
Really? They had no problems at the off-rodeo. They do throw rocks because of all the sipes and the fact they wanted to get them three peak rates but they just didn’t pass. Really good snow wet tire from my experience.

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The stock tires are fine, people changing them out the gate, because they prefer a different look or certain brand tire and some because they throw rocks like any other aggressive tire.
I personally am not a fan of the stock Goodyear's I will switch out once they wear out to Toyo AT 3's or OK2's because I have had great luck with both my 2 cents

Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really? They had no problems at the off-rodeo. They do throw rocks because of all the sipes and the fact they wanted to get them three peak rates but they just didn’t pass. Really good snow wet tire from my experience.
The Off-Roadeo is a beginners course. It also depends on where you went. Moab, all the rocks there are the same texture as sand paper so there really is no bad tire. Texas (where I went) had a lot of sandy soil and hard rock ledges, didn't have any thing that stuck to the tires, so they did ok.

I can tell you in Kansas, on anything intermediate to advanced, these tires are a liability. Can't grip enough to climb over limestone ledges and the second you run through any kind of mud or wet soil they're completely useless because they don't clean out.

Did I mention they pick-up and throw EVERY SINGLE small rock they pass over. It isn't the siping, it's the useless tread pattern (well useful if you want a quite tire on the road).

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The SAS tires are VERY VERY soft. You will find out when a small rock on the trail gives you a puncture.

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm loving the Goodyears. I like the sassy wheels too. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I feel like now that I have a few thousand miles, the Goodyears aren't picking up the rocks as bad.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think they are ugly and the tread is to narrow for the size.
And Rock throwing! The nitto RG’ are way wider at the tread, even though they are rated the same size. Plus they look good!

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You see, completely clogged, and that's not even in mud, just slightly damp soil.​
Ford Bronco Dumb Tire Question - why change stock Sasquatch tires for new ones? Screenshot_20220202-135132_Gallery
Sponsored