First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not until they can promise me 700 miles (towing), an off grid charging capability, a week of off-road driving, and another 700 miles (towing) will I even consider an EV to be a viable platform. Long live the ICE.
Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Explorer ST, ā€˜19 GT350, ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hybrid. All electric is a no go. No infrastructure, poor range, slow recharge. We are a generation away from a truly useable electric vehicle.

GrumpyVet

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get charge times to 5min and replacement batteries a diy under $250 and Iā€™m in.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Until we get to 1,000 mile range I don't foresee a fully electric Bronco. Hybrid, yes. The nature of how people use their off road vehicle cannot take any risks on being stranded in the middle of nowhere. Bring along a few gas cans on a hybrid, absolutely.
To play devil's advocate though, show me any vehicle that isn't a semi that has 1000 mile range. it would take a typical Jeep 8-10 5 gallon jerry cans to make 1000 miles.

Seems an abnormally high bar to set just to be able to say yes to something.

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I would definitely be on board for a PHEV, though I hope Ford offers it in a 2 door model, but I suspect if they do a PHEV, it'll be in the 4dr model similar to the 4xe.

Sponsored

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
To play devil's advocate though, show me any vehicle that isn't a semi that has 1000 mile range. it would take a typical Jeep 8-10 5 gallon jerry cans to make 1000 miles.

Isnt the 2 door SAS rated for something like 287 miles to a tank of gas.

gjproducer

Badlands
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's fair. Maybe my number was a little high. Point is still the same though. If were out trailing, camping, decided to use the vehicle to run some powered devices and wasn't paying attention you could be in trouble with no back up. The jerry cans would be a backup to at least get you out of the woods/trails should something happen.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That's fair. Maybe my number was a little high. Point is still the same though. If were out trailing, camping, decided to use the vehicle to run some powered devices and wasn't paying attention you could be in trouble with no back up. The jerry cans would be a backup to at least get you out of the woods/trails should something happen.
Agreed.

The only real solution that I can see, is full electric vehicles with small portable nuclear generators. :)

MJ14

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer/22 Bronco OBX/02 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My plan currently is to pay off my Bronco in 5 years and then order an F-150 lightning. Iā€™m a big fan of what they are doing with them and believe in 5 years theyā€™ll be more reliable and have better infrastructure. My plan is to make the Bronco a true off-road vehicle once I order the lightning. If they came out with a hybrid or all electric bronco, I would definitely be all in. My daughter wants a bronco for her 1st vehicle, and a hybrid/electric would be perfect for her to drive around town.

Sponsored

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You could just bring a 500w solar panel with you. LIve off the land, wait 10 days and you might have enough charge to go a mile or two.

My concern is weight....A heavy rig doesnt make for a good offroading rig. These are basically bricks. I can only imagine how many batteries they would need just to go 300 miles.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plan on buying an electric truck in 2025. There's a huge demand for an electric Bronco. Ford will make one because they're interested in making exciting electric vehicles that are also profitable.

Oceannomad

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hybrid yes, electric....meh. Ford is still too far behind Tesla's with their charging network and time it takes to complete a charge at their charging stations.

Easy-v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another comment - the bronco in the video is going up hill, which as you can see in this thread - its an uphill fight to convince people that not having a transaxle, transmission, alternator with belts that saw off coolant hoses and a million other moving, sliding parts creating friction and wear out and waiting for a chance to break - trying to convince them that having a frictionless, nearly zero maintenance vehicle is not bad thing.

I had a 1996 Ford Exploder - and within 56000 miles required:
1) A new transmission
2) New transaxles
3) Complete engine failure

I'd want an E Bronco simply as there is mathematically a significant reduction in the number of assemblies, parts, and dependencies that can break, wear out and require maintenance.

I get the range anxiety - but when is the last time you went 1000 miles on a tank of gas in a non-commercial vehicle?

Maybe an e-Bronco (with 200-500 mile range) is not the ultimate solution for a week of off roading non-stop out of civilizations infrastructure, but - how often and how many people actually are going to use it that way?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hybrid makes a TON of sense, and I would absolutely consider it.

All-electric doesn't make sense at allā€”at least not right now. The Bronco is an off-road vehicle, designed to be able to go out into the wilderness. With a hybrid or gasoline engine, you can effectively increase the range by carrying more fuel with you. If you run out of fuel, you can ride into town with a buddy, get more fuel, and refuel your Bronco.

This isn't to say an all-electric will never work. But we need improvements in either charging technology to allow for charging off the grid, or in electric storage so we can bring extra "jerry cans" of electricity before it will be viable.
Sponsored