Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure if this helps but I have 35" Toyo Open Country AT3's on my Badlands Sasquatch. They have a load range of D. They're fine on the road as far as I'm concerned. I think an E load range tire would have been too stiff.

I mention this because it doesn't seem like the D load range is talked about that often.
Sponsored

rguest3

Badlands
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350, F-450, 2022 Bronco, (2) 77 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I put load range E tires on our build. My thought process was that the stiffer sidewall would be beneficial off road. Thinking that it would provide a stronger puncture resistant sidewall. What I didn't take into consideration was how the stiff sidewall would translate into a much rougher ride both on and off road. I now consider this a mistake.
How much air is in the tires?

Tony4x4

Big Bend
First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 EB Bronco 2021 BB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Are you saying just air them down, or the E at its recommended pressure would ride the same as a lower load rate tire of the same manufacturer at its recommended psi?
Most people I know that have E load rated tires on a Bronco or a Jeep inflate them to about 30 psi for daily use. Given everything equal (psi, same tire brand/model and vehicle) the E load rated tire will ride rougher than a C rated tire no question. Since you not only went up in load rating but also tire size the extra capability of the tire allows you to run a lower psi without compromising the load capability of the tire. Unless you are overloading your vehicle all of the sudden with a lot of weight you should be fine.

jolson1228

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have an OBX non-SAS that I did the same thing on. Went from stock to a 275/70r18 Goodyear Ultraterrain, it's rated E1. When I first made the swap, I noticed a slightly rougher ride, especially with smaller bumps. I could just feel it a little bit more going over different height pavement, or larger cracks in the road. I wouldn't say it rides like a stage coach, but I won't say it's as comfortable as stock.

Performance in the snow and ice is why I made the switch, and after a couple snow/ice storms... it's worth every bump I feel to have these tires. I've gone through some seriously slick conditions with both stock tires and the Ultraterrains, and I switch it into 4 high maybe half as often as I did with stock tires.

Sponsored

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I went from Base 16”s to MT 315/70/17 Baja Boss AT’s which are E load rated. Discount tire inflated them to 46 psi and I didn’t think it was that bad, they’re now at 30 and it’s maybe a tiny bit bouncier than stock. Fuel mileage has taken a hit just not sure exactly since the speedometer and odometer are off so much. I’m actually surprised how quiet, nice they are so far for such a big and heavy tire.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

B Miller, those are the tires I got, and I've been waiting to reply to a E rated thread. I got E rated Toyo Open Country R/T Trail and I love them on my Big Bend 4dr.
I got the 255/80 R17 size because I wanted taller, not wider. I don't want to throw rocks outside the fenders. I ride in the desert, it's all rocks, cactus spins, or sand. You need something tough and puncture-proof. I concur with what was written above, "the lower the tire profile, the stiffer the ride." Maybe all these "hot wheels" wide tires are part of the alleged "stiffness problem."
Now that my "why" is over, I can report on the E-rating proverbial "stiffness" on my tires. It's non-existent.

I was anxious about a rougher ride after a year on the stock BB tires. But I had more anxiety of getting a flat 3 hours from pavement. So I got the E-rated tires. I pulled out of the dealership and onto the pavement to drive home. Hitting all the expansion joints, potholes and rough patch jobs common in Arizona, that I had a year of experience feeling in the stock tires. Nothing. Not much of a difference. And that was aired up to 37 lbs by the dealer.

The next day I did the chalk test and aired them down to 34. The already fine street feel got a tad softer. Off road they felt stiff on the cobbles and washboards. Until....When I went on a 4 day 4-wheeling overland trip in a very rough desert wilderness, alone...I aired them down to 19 psi. The ride got soft and good.

I've ridden these Toyos in rain. In snow. In mud. In sand. And the ubiquitous sharp rocky trails. Fine traction every situation. I seriously don't know how anyone can say they are breaking traction on wet pavement on any AT tire, much less the high quality of Toyos. They must do drag-race starts from every light, like I see a lot of poor drivers doing in the rain.

I would buy these again, E rated next time too. Why go to a softer, more puncture prone tire out West, if you go off road a lot?

Last edited:

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

B Miller, those are the tires I got, and I've been waiting to reply to a E rated thread. I got E rated Toyo Open Country R/T Trail and I love them on my Big Bend 4dr.
I got the 255/80 R17 size because I wanted taller, not wider. I don't want to throw rocks outside the fenders. I ride in the desert, it's all rocks, cactus spins, or sand. You need something tough and puncture-proof. I concur with what was written above, "the lower the tire profile, the stiffer the ride." Maybe all these "hot wheels" wide tires are part of the alleged "stiffness problem."
Now that my "why" is over, I can report on the E-rating proverbial "stiffness" on my tires. It's non-existent.

I was anxious about a rougher ride after a year on the stock BB tires. But I had more anxiety of getting a flat 3 hours from pavement. So I got the E-rated tires. I pulled out of the dealership and onto the pavement to drive home. Hitting all the expansion joints, potholes and rough patch jobs common in Arizona, that I had a year of experience feeling in the stock tires. Nothing. Not much of a difference. And that was aired up to 37 lbs by the dealer.

The next day I did the chalk test and aired them down to 34. The already fine street feel got a tad softer. Off road they felt stiff on the cobbles and washboards. Until....When I went on a 4 day 4-wheeling overland trip in a very rough desert wilderness, alone...I aired them down to 19 psi. The ride got soft and good.

I've ridden these Toyos in rain. In snow. In mud. In sand. And the ubiquitous sharp rocky trails. Fine traction every situation. I seriously don't know how anyone can say they are breaking traction on wet pavement on any AT tire, much less the high quality of Toyos. They must do drag-race starts from every light, like I see a lot of poor drivers doing in the rain.

I would buy these again, E rated next time too. Why go to a softer, more puncture prone tire out West, if you go off road a lot?
I've had the same experience with the 315's which are "D" rated. The ride is softer than the factory tires and I'm running these at 37psi. Very impressed with the new Trails. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's been a month or so and 2 rotations. These tires are great. I can ride on extremely sharp rock trails, they haven't gotten a mark on them. All Arizona conditions and some pretty severe "adult" 4wheeling like 2 four-day trips in KofA. I air them down to 19 PSI for offroad and they give a soft ride.
In town, I'm using about 32 PSI cold. Their ride is nicer than my wifes Mazda 3 which is pretty hard and you feel every joint. The bronco glides right over most things on pavement and you don't feel them. Getting 21.5 MPG where the factory tires got about 23.3. But I have total confidence these tires won't puncture.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Put simply, the best course of action would be that if you don't need E load tires, don't get E load tires.
Sponsored