BigRed13

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Finally found a Bronco that was very close to our original build. Its an OBX, and wanting to keep the stock rims, but move up tire size. I've seen allot of people with the 275/70/18, and like the look. I'm hoping for some good feedback on the ride quality change with being an E load rated tire. My wifes going to be the primary driver and will not be happy with me if it rides like a stagecoach.
Sponsored

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I *think* E vs lower ranges, in the same model of tire, at the same psi, should ride very similar...

OP
OP
BigRed13

BigRed13

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I *think* E vs lower ranges, in the same model of tire, at the same psi, should ride very similar...
Are you saying just air them down, or the E at its recommended pressure would ride the same as a lower load rate tire of the same manufacturer at its recommended psi?

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Are you saying just air them down, or the E at its recommended pressure would ride the same as a lower load rate tire of the same manufacturer at its recommended psi?
The second part, I don't *think* you'll notice much, assuming tire model and pressures are the same, and the only difference is load range.

But again just speculating, I don't have real world experience with such a comparison.

Reputable tire shop should be honest and more informed about the same question but then again the E will be more $ so they might 'color their opinion' a bit...

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There is no difference in the recommended pressure for load C, D, or E. The difference is you can go to higher pressures in the E for heavier loads. You would still use them at the pressure for your weight, regardless of load rating of the tire.

Sponsored

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have 285/70/17 BFG KO2's that are E rated on my Bison as an upgrade to the same tire in C rating. I also added 100lb extra weighted springs and I think it is overkill. The ride is to hard now, I can't say it's just because the tires, but on the road it has killed the great ride except when I'm off-road and heavily loaded. I will be going back to C rated tires when these wear out. If the C's have enough weight rating for what your Bronco is, I don't think you'll get any benefit going to E. This is just my personal experience.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What you ask is very subjective and also very tire specific.

There are a load of people that are pleased with the ride with Load Range E tires.

I cannot stand the ride of my Load Range C Toyo Open Country AT 3's in 35 x 11.5 - 17. Very stiff tire.
The charts say I should be at 32psi.
It rides like a stage coach.
It gets better at 30psi, would probably be best at 28 but I'm not sure about running them that low at street speeds.

My next set, I'll step down to SL rated 33's.

Also , the rubber is so freaking stiff on these things they are down right dangerous in any thing remotely slick .... rain, snow ... whatever. They simply do not engage the pavement.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What you ask is very subjective and also very tire specific.

There are a load of people that are pleased with the ride with Load Range E tires.

I cannot stand the ride of my Load Range C Toyo Open Country AT 3's in 35 x 11.5 - 17. Very stiff tire.
The charts say I should be at 32psi.
It rides like a stage coach.
It gets better at 30psi, would probably be best at 28 but I'm not sure about running them that low at street speeds.

My next set, I'll step down to SL rated 33's.

Also , the rubber is so freaking stiff on these things they are down right dangerous in any thing remotely slick .... rain, snow ... whatever. They simply do not engage the pavement.
I run those tires at 30 psi per Toyos weight chart and they are perfectly fine on highway. I do go to 33psi on longer interstate trips though for maybe better mpg.
Most people over inflate. I go by my actual weight, not GVWR.

I love my Toyos and find them great in slick stuff. Tires have got to be one of the more subjective things out there. They are overly heavy for a C rating and suspect they are made for uses above C load.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Opinions I guess, I always run Es on my 4x4s. I love the puncture and cut resistance. I run what the door sticker for factory tires says or less and find the ride fine and on the Bronco specifically excellent. My point of reference is different than most, all my rides except my Mustang have been trucks.

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have Mickey Thompson 37" E rated tires, but based on load range its actually a E2, which can handle up to 65psi based on load rating. But I don't have a need for that much stiffness as I am not carrying any type of heavy load even towing my boat and trailer. I run mine at 37psi which lessens the stiffness and makes for more of an enjoyable ride.

Just keep in mind this one simple aspect. There is 2 different E rated tires, there is E1 and E2. E1 can handle 80psi for extra heavy load requirements, vs E2 at a rating of 65psi. E1 even if you were to run a lower psi, it will definitely be harsher ride than running E2 at the same psi. Most if not all E rated tires are 10ply tires spread over the width and crown of the tire, but also the sidewall compound is much stiffer to accommodate the higher psi to prevent a blowout. Which usually happens from overload and tire roll over on sidewall while towing or cornering.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Modern tires do not have 10 plies. That terminology was carried over so people understood the equivalent weight rating.

Also, 37psi in a 37 tire is for a weight well above the Broncos GVWR. Nothing wrong with it if that’s what you want, but certainly over inflated for the Bronco.

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I run a set of E-rated 255/85r16 Falken Wildpeak M/Ts at 32 PSI on my 2 door base. I had them installed upon delivery by the dealer, so no comparison to the factory tires.

I think the Bronco drives and rides nice. It’s a 4x4 truck, so heaving concrete/pavement seams or potholes are felt in the cabin, but they’re not jarring. I don’t really get the sense that the tires are making it worse. It drives like a truck. Solid but comfortable.

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Modern tires do not have 10 plies. That terminology was carried over so people understood the equivalent weight rating.

Also, 37psi in a 37 tire is for a weight well above the Broncos GVWR. Nothing wrong with it if that’s what you want, but certainly over inflated for the Bronco.
Here is my tire size and under the description second from bottom it says 10 ply. Just saying it still is as advertised. Most tires online include anywhere from 6 thru 14 ply.
Ford Bronco E Load tires Screenshot_20230210-230218

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here is my tire size and under the description second from bottom it says 10 ply. Just saying it still is as advertised. Most tires online include anywhere from 6 thru 14 ply.
Ford Bronco E Load tires Screenshot_20230210-230218
Yeah, it’s so us geezers who grew up with bias ply tires would know what C, D, and E mean. It doesn’t really have that many plies in it.

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yeah, it’s so us geezers who grew up with bias ply tires would know what C, D, and E mean. It doesn’t really have that many plies in it.
Ha, I'm an old geezer too my friend. Nothing like a G60 or 50 to on your high school hot rod. Or taking off in the wee hours in the cold and thumping around town from flat spots until they warmed up. LOL!
Sponsored