Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis G70, 2018 Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have some questions for anyone willing to answer. Im new to the word of ECU tuning. I am interested in getting one when I get my Warthog in.
1) Are there any ECU tuners beside the plug in play JB4 has to offer?
2) When watching a video, I had heard this person mention that right now it’s not accessible to anyone at the moment, does this mean that an ECU tune is out of the question at the moment?
3) What are some benefits to a Ecu tune, what are the cons?
4) What can one expect to pay when looking to get a tune?

Thank you in advance. I appreciate the future input, I’ll be responding to anyone that posts here.
Sponsored

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have some questions for anyone willing to answer. Im new to the word of ECU tuning. I am interested in getting one when I get my Warthog in.
2) When watching a video, I had heard this person mention that right now it’s not accessible to anyone at the moment, does this mean that an ECU tune is out of the question at the moment?

Thank you in advance. I appreciate the future input, I’ll be responding to anyone that posts here.

Currently no. Whipple is working on a calibration as I type this. Ford Performance also has one in development. As I get more updates on both of them I'll be sure to make everyone aware.

As mentioned above Whipple and Ford Performance both have access to the PCM/Tuning software and the ability to tune/flash them. Other than those two I don't believe anyone else has support available for the Braptors yet.

Benefits to a full flash is that it has the ability to adjust shift points, shift logic, boost, spark and most of the other features that Ford uses when tuning these vehicles from the factory.

Top speed limiters can be raised, auto start/stop feature can be disabled, adjustments for tire size and gear ratios can also be changed with the device they use. These are things that a JB4 or similar device don't have the ability to do. The only con I can think of would be for those who are concerned about warranty a full flash can be detected by the dealer. In the case of Ford Performance when they release their cal t comes with a 3y/36mo warranty where the Whipple cal doesn't.

The cost of the Ford Performance device with cal will most likely fall in line with the other bronco calibrations they already offer for the 2.3L/2.7L. We offer them for $695.00 shipped. Whipple's device with cal will most likely be in the $795.00 range.

Hope that helps. If there's anything else we can do for you in the meantime please let us know.

Thanks!

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

What have you seen in other broncos when comparing ford performance tune vs whipple tune? Is the whipple more aggressive? From a warranty standpoint the advantage is the ford performance tune , question is how conservative will it be compared to others

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
What have you seen in other broncos when comparing ford performance tune vs whipple tune? Is the whipple more aggressive? From a warranty standpoint the advantage is the ford performance tune , question is how conservative will it be compared to others
In my opinion I feel that both Ford Performance and Whipple take a similar approach with their calibrations. Keep all of the safety features intact and be somewhat conservative on the tuning side. They want customers to have the benefits of more power, torque and the change in shift strategy while not pushing things too hard. The last thing that either of them want is to be too aggressive and see their customers have any type of failures.

Definitely a different approach then some custom tuning practices which look to squeeze every bit of power out of the vehicle and forget about longevity and safety.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
rivasrubicon

rivasrubicon

Raptor
First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis G70, 2018 Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Currently no. Whipple is working on a calibration as I type this. Ford Performance also has one in development. As I get more updates on both of them I'll be sure to make everyone aware.

As mentioned above Whipple and Ford Performance both have access to the PCM/Tuning software and the ability to tune/flash them. Other than those two I don't believe anyone else has support available for the Braptors yet.

Benefits to a full flash is that it has the ability to adjust shift points, shift logic, boost, spark and most of the other features that Ford uses when tuning these vehicles from the factory.

Top speed limiters can be raised, auto start/stop feature can be disabled, adjustments for tire size and gear ratios can also be changed with the device they use. These are things that a JB4 or similar device don't have the ability to do. The only con I can think of would be for those who are concerned about warranty a full flash can be detected by the dealer. In the case of Ford Performance when they release their cal t comes with a 3y/36mo warranty where the Whipple cal doesn't.

The cost of the Ford Performance device with cal will most likely fall in line with the other bronco calibrations they already offer for the 2.3L/2.7L. We offer them for $695.00 shipped. Whipple's device with cal will most likely be in the $795.00 range.

Hope that helps. If there's anything else we can do for you in the meantime please let us know.

Thanks!
Thanks, this was awesome information.

Sponsored

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

In my opinion I feel that both Ford Performance and Whipple take a similar approach with their calibrations. Keep all of the safety features intact and be somewhat conservative on the tuning side. They want customers to have the benefits of more power, torque and the change in shift strategy while not pushing things too hard. The last thing that either of them want is to be too aggressive and see their customers have any type of failures.

Definitely a different approach then some custom tuning practices which look to squeeze every bit of power out of the vehicle and forget about longevity and safety.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, given this what would be the advantage of going with a whipple tune vs ford performance tune?

HaugenRacing

Raptor
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thanks, given this what would be the advantage of going with a whipple tune vs ford performance tune?
Whipple is releasing a stage 1 package. So I would assume their flash is tuned for raptors having a whipple intercooler and intake whereas the ford will be for a stock raptor. The Whipple package will then make more power then the ford package. Hope that helps.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There is a F150 Raptor tuner that does custom tunes via COBB. He has a huge following in the F150 Raptor community. If 10 trucks are getting a tune, I think he accounts for 7 of them.

I recently asked him if Cobb was working on the Bronco and he tells me no to the 2.3 and 2.7 BUT they are considering tuning the 3.0.

BTW .. Cobb is super slow to get into a vehicle. If Cobb does throw their hat into the ring, I am sure https://www.goosetuned.com/ will be creating an account on this forum. BTW he does own a Bronco.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

JetG

First Edition
First Name
Jet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Macan Turbo w/PP & 2016 911 Turbo Vert
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
There is a F150 Raptor tuner that does custom tunes via COBB. He has a huge following in the F150 Raptor community. If 10 trucks are getting a tune, I think he accounts for 7 of them.

I recently asked him if Cobb was working on the Bronco and he tells me no to the 2.3 and 2.7 BUT they are considering tuning the 3.0.

BTW .. Cobb is super slow to get into a vehicle. If Cobb does throw their hat into the ring, I am sure https://www.goosetuned.com/ will be creating an account on this forum. BTW he does own a Bronco.

If COBB comes out and tunes this is the route I will take. Had a goostuned 2018 F150 Raptor and it was a nice improvement over the stock COBB tune.

Sponsored

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Whipple should hopefully have some numbers here shortly. When I was out there last week Dustin and Nick were working together with their lead calibrator to build the files. Should be pretty sweet once they've got it all wrapped up.
Ford Bronco ECU tunes for Bronco Raptor 337045213_1381523212405175_7594915517572139268_n

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Tough to say at this point as we don't completely know all of the features each will offer for their calibrations. On the 2.3L/2.7L bronco stuff I do know that Whipple raises the top speed limit where Ford Performance doesn't. However until all testing and development is done for each of them I really can't compare all of the pros/cons between the two. As soon as we have more info on this stuff I'll be sure to share it with the members here.

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I would pay big money for the ability to remove the hyper aggressive downshifting in sport and baja mode and make the modes more drivable.

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Assuming Whipple will void the factory warranty while Ford Performance falls under factory warranty?

Yamapro

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just want reliability and 500hp at the tires. I mean it’s supposed to be a performance vehicle so how about some performance!
Sponsored