Sponsored

EDIT: I did something dumb in my Bronco today and really lucked out…Don’t mess with ice!

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Manual transmissions are always good at dominating ice. Think of it just like Olympic curling. The brush guy just brushes the ice as fast as can to guide the spin of the stone thing. I may live in Hawaii but my formative driving years were in Ohio and I used to run a 24ft (box size) box truck up into michigan snow and Ice every day for a couple winters. I am a FIRM believer in wheelspin. I have had several on and offroad situation where selecting a proper gear, and modulating throttle at high speed to guide you with gravity and whatever slide you find yourself in. In rwd you can rotate the vehicle quite a bit with wheel spin full on, then modulate it a bit to redirect it in a particular direction. Fwd does the same thing but pivots the front more and you have to drag the rear more so its not as easy to change your momentum. I am sure some of yall will say Im crazy. But I have many occasions used wheelspin to keep myself on the road in less than ideal vehicles while all other around me waited in ditches. I encourage anyone who lives in snowy areas to find a parking lot with the least obstructions and throw yourself into a slide or spin and play with high rpm wheel speed to change your direction. Its good fun and educational. Ice is fun if you know how to drive on it.
Sponsored

Bronco-saurs

Outer Banks
First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer / 2018 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They’re sufficient in deep snow but in cleaned and packed city snow it’s been a chore to drive with. But again this is coming from having KO2’s. I didn’t think of the weight thing but this would explain why they are so willing to spin immediately for me. But at the end of the day they’re just an OEM tire for factory production and not exactly intended for people to stick with long term. Jack of all trades master of none. All three territory lines are expressively designed this way.
Maybe it's your driving? They've been great for me. City snow, packed snow... I haven't had any concerns with the factory tires.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
whats up with all the thread title changes lately? seems like everytime i log on and look for a thread I seen before its called something else now
Mods love changing people's thread titles so it helps them appear in search engines. Clicks = money. I just wish they would let OPs know when they do it.

We_Love_Tacos

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition 2Dr Lightning Blue
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

As a teen in the early 90’s I drove a Mustang GT with bald rear tires through Michigan winters. My friends would hate riding with me as they became my traction control system that didn’t exist back then. Everything else was easy after that. 🤣😂

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I e done snow removal for 30 years and will tell you tires absolutely make a difference. Look at Bridgestone Blizzack as a reference. On the sidewall of the tire is a snow covered mountain. That denotes it as a snow rated tire. They are much softer compound and have incredible grip on snow and ice. They have one of the best stopping performance of any snow rated tire
Had them all 4 corners of a fwd. Even had a set with glass crystals embedded in the tread in lieu of studs.

And I give kudos to the Bridgestones on my Bronco. There is nothing they won't go through (yet) and I have driven enough highway snow and ice miles to attest that a narrower tread (non sas)will usually give better snow traction than a wider (sas or bigger) tire.
Or add more weight. There is a physics reason why an 80,000# rig sails part you at 80mph (until they try to stop) that is equivalent to the full weight of a Bronco per tire.

RobCo

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 1977 Ford Bronco project
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Its amazing when people think their 4X4 is indestructible. Got a news flash, ice doesn't care that you're in a 4x4, know why? because you slide too.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Good job at recovering but you got lucky on that one

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
thank you! I can definitely
Stand to learn a bit more about the off road gear and how to use it in different conditions, including on road/ice. I’ll heed your advice next time and consider myself a lucky soul today.
Sometimes a short walk is better to check things out rather than a lot of effort or a long walk to get out. Voice of experience. Learn from others, it's easier

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Mods love changing people's thread titles so it helps them appear in search engines. Clicks = money. I just wish they would let OPs know when they do it.
So, was the OP consulted as to whether or not they wanted to be called stupid in the title of the thread they created? I find this fascinating either way

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, was the OP consulted as to whether or not they wanted to be called stupid in the title of the thread they created? I find this fascinating either way
I would say probably not. I've had my thread titles completely changed and was never consulted. Hell they took one of my posts and created a whole new post with it.

Sponsored

The YETI

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150 Crew
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As a teen in the early 90’s I drove a Mustang GT with bald rear tires through Michigan winters. My friends would hate riding with me as they became my traction control system that didn’t exist back then. Everything else was easy after that. 🤣😂
In 1986 I had a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 Hurst 4 speed, that I drove in Michigan winters. That will teach you how to drive in winter ❄! Granted I had old school snow tires from K Mart it her!!!🤣. It was my first car, sold it to a guy that followed me home in 1990 while in college. Still see it at car shows occasionally. Gold metallic, bronze vinyl top, radio delete, awesome first ride!

OP
OP
Mgro

Mgro

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would say probably not. I've had my thread titles completely changed and was never consulted. Hell they took one of my posts and created a whole new post with it.
Gents, sorry, I changed the title. A little self deprecation to try to change the route of the convo. Seemed to work too, didn’t mean to increase traffic or anything. Thought it would’ve faded to obscurity by now

Last edited:

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You poor folks that deal with ice this time of year lol. The next 2-6 months I'll be BEGGING for your weather though

20220212_123605.jpg

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
what I am missing in these posts is: what would have been THE proper/best settings, amongst all various combinations. So, I would have

- stopped
- selected slippery goat
- pressed center button of goat selector to engage hill decent
- selected 1 MPH

what would YOU have done?

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In Michigan the back country roads get so icy you need to just take it slow and hope for the best most times
Sponsored