Sponsored

EDIT: I did something dumb in my Bronco today and really lucked out…Don’t mess with ice!

Mgro

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Went for a spin in the Catskills today in search of a trail (found none) but as I was driving around, some snow hit the area.

As I was driving down a gravel, snow covered road, I saw some
Gentlemen waving their arms to slow
Down. I figured “I’m going 25, they need to Relax” and smiled, waved, and kept going. Yea, I’m the a-hole, and I deserved a terrible end, oblivious that they were actually trying to warn me, but the bronco saved me from the Embarrassment I deserved after gaffing off a good-willed warning of impending danger.
The next group of bystanders got me to stop and roll down the window.

“It’s a icy hill ahead, impassable, about 8 cars in the ditch on either side, do not go down there!”

my girlfriend began to plea, “no! Just turn around!” But folks, fortune favors the bold.

I stopped. Shifted to 4L, traction control off (I still don’t get why, that’s how novice I am), locked front and rear diff, and even disconnected the swa bar, just cause I can (I know the disconnect did nothing for me in this situation)… shifted into crawl gear, and began a slow descent down the icy hill.

you wouldn’t believe the look on these peoples faces. All in 4x4 trucks, and Awd suvs, and all in ditches. I slowly crawled by with not a slip to speak
Of.

I am truly impressed with
The capability of this machine.

I didn’t deserve that end, but this truck delivered for me.

To the folks in the
Catskill area, southeast of Ellenville, NY, I’m sorry you had a rough day, and thank you for the warning or I
Probably would’ve ended up in a ditch too!

to those waiting on their bronco, this thing is AWESOME!

View attachment 272144
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mgro

Mgro

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You got lucky.

I have been on ice when gravity decided to do what gravity does. Helpless is not a good feeling.

Isn't that machine cool though?
I truly was lucky. I should add that the hill wasn’t that steep and the WORST case would’ve been a slow speed impact with a ditch, I’d hate for people to Think I was descending a long 45 degree incline or anything, or putting my passenger in danger. I suppose the stakes were relatively low. I feel compelled to share this before I start getting hate in here. Goal
Is just just to share a light hearted story about how the Broncos capability compensated for my
Arrogance today!

Sponsored

SpringTXOR

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I even admitted I don’t know what I’m doing, that’s part of the humor/point. I was out trying to learn by doing.
We never get enough ice here for me to know how to drive on it, I don't think 4wd if any kind would help me.

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey man, cool story. Glad you're enjoying the ride.

Sponsored

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Too be fair, it was the KO2s that saved you more than anything.
Exactly this. I got Sasquatch regrettably for the factory prep 35’s and nothing more. Those Goodyears are absolutely horrible. It’s like driving on glass when it snows

Can’t wait to swap out to KO2’s. I wish Ford (and others) didn’t strike this OEM deal for those terrible tires.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You got lucky.
I truly was lucky.
Honestly, I've been in a VERY similar situation, thinking I was better than those who knew.

Zero "hate" intended here, but by your description I can tell you learned nothing here.
You may actually be worse now than before, attitude-wise. Again, no judgement, just try to keep an open mind.

I can't "hate" on this without turning the mirror on myself because I did the nearly the exact same thing.

Once you have been in a zero traction situation, it's not something you'll likely ever take forgranted again.
Unfortunately, I don't think anybody will apprciate the weight of that statement unless they have experienced it.

Like you , my incident occured at single digit mph ... the vehicle just slowly slid down a hill.....backwards for about 30 to 45 seconds ... it was like slow-motion, looking back I can laugh.
I've lived all of my 50 years in regions that have "winter". I know MOST all the tips tricks and advice. I can assure you when traction reaches zero there will be NOTHING you can do.
Gravity or (God forbid) momentum will make you its bitch .... completely and thoroughly.

Pump the brakes, tried turning the wheel, gently lock to lock , searching for anything ...NOTHING ... everything I did had an effect of absolute zero .... just ride it out. You'll have zero options until traction is found again.

Like you, at the end of my slide, no harm , no foul ... but my attitude towards ice situations like that is now wildly different than yours.
...and that is why I fear you may actually be worse off now than before, thinking this machine is better than most. When it goes to zero, it is not, it's just another chunk of metal sliding out of control.

You should also know that lockers are not necessarily your friend on ice. In many situations they are horrible.

All of that being said, the fact that I've only ran into ice like that a time or three in all these years tells me it is rare .... but by GOD, it is important enough to at least warrant further evaluation before proceeding next time.

Take care.
Peace, out.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly, I've been in a VERY similar situation, thinking I was better than those who knew.

Zero "hate" intended here, but by your description I can tell you learned nothing here.
You may actually be worse now than before, attitude-wise. Again, no judgement, just try to keep an open mind.

I can't "hate" on this without turning the mirror on myself because I did the nearly the exact same thing.

Once you have been in a zero traction situation, it's not something you'll likely ever take forgranted again.
Unfortunately, I don't think anybody will apprciate the weight of that statement unless they have experienced it.

Like you , my incident occured at single digit mph ... the vehicle just slowly slid down a hill.....backwards for about 30 to 45 seconds ... it was like slow-motion, looking back I can laugh.
I've lived all of my 50 years in regions that have "winter". I know MOST all the tips tricks and advice. I can assure you when traction reaches zero there will be NOTHING you can do.
Gravity or (God forbid) momentum will make you its bitch .... completely and thoroughly.

Pump the brakes, tried turning the wheel, gently lock to lock , searching for anything ...NOTHING ... everything I did had an effect of absolute zero .... just ride it out. You'll have zero options until traction is found again.

Like you, at the end of my slide, no harm , no foul ... but my attitude towards ice situations like that is now wildly different than yours.
...and that is why I fear you may actually be worse off now than before, thinking this machine is better than most. When it goes to zero, it is not, it's just another chunk of metal sliding out of control.

You should also know that lockers are not necessarily your friend on ice. In many situations they are horrible.

All of that being said, the fact that I've only ran into ice like that a time or three in all these years tells me it is rare .... but by GOD, it is important enough to at least warrant further evaluation before proceeding next time.

Take care.
Peace, out.
Preach, brother. Wise words, indeed. 👍

OP
OP
Mgro

Mgro

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Take care.
Peace, out.
thank you! I can definitely
Stand to learn a bit more about the off road gear and how to use it in different conditions, including on road/ice. I’ll heed your advice next time and consider myself a lucky soul today.
Sponsored