Sponsored

Electronics; how much is too much?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's literally a $0.00 solution. Similar to critical computing, you don't allow an untested/unproven update.
Is there a way to keep using Win 10 without updates. It lets you delay them, but thats about it.
Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Is there a way to keep using Win 10 without updates. It lets you delay them, but thats about it.
We're getting off topic now, but yes. There is.

In a corporate environment, you have your devices joined to a domain and then you have your own WSUS server that controls which updates get pushed when and group policy to enforce that your computers only use that WSUS server. You can delay/deny updates at will then.

On a personal computer it's a little hackier but you can set a registry key to mark all networks as metered so windows will never download updates over them.

However, generally it's a good idea to allow updates regularly, as they include important security patches and such. Updates don't just happen for no reason.

Similarly, if you're scared that your car will update itself and cause issues (because why would they ever have a useful patch you might want?), I'm sure there will be an antenna somewhere you can disconnect and put in a resistor so the computer thinks it's there but can't get a signal, same as one would do to disconnect OnStar. On a Tesla it's even easier: don't connect your car to a wifi network.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We're getting off topic now, but yes. There is.

In a corporate environment, you have your devices joined to a domain and then you have your own WSUS server that controls which updates get pushed when and group policy to enforce that your computers only use that WSUS server. You can delay/deny updates at will then.

On a personal computer it's a little hackier but you can set a registry key to mark all networks as metered so windows will never download updates over them.

However, generally it's a good idea to allow updates regularly, as they include important security patches and such. Updates don't just happen for no reason.

Similarly, if you're scared that your car will update itself and cause issues (because why would they ever have a useful patch you might want?), I'm sure there will be an antenna somewhere you can disconnect and put in a resistor so the computer thinks it's there but can't get a signal, same as one would do to disconnect OnStar. On a Tesla it's even easier: don't connect your car to a wifi network.
I think you are confusing patches, updates, etc that are sent out making one a Guinea Pig, therefore being a PIA,
with being "scared". I'm not anti-tech, but I don't spend my life draped over it either. So when I get a phone, computer, car
set up to the way I want it (or just familiar with it), I don't want it messed with, even if all I have to do is re-learn it.

It's bad enough I have to mess with tuning and programmers for fox bodies (two, one EEC-IV, one Mega-squirt,
Mitsu (EVO), Dodge (diesel), two modern Fords, and Holley Sniper (70 bronc). The last thing I need is some jackrabbit
constantly changing one of computers or phones.

Life is too short for that crap. I have drag racing, car shows, road racing (recently), hard core wheeling, boating
(skiing if back allows), 5 acres, house, and 3200 sq ft garage to enjoy and take care of. And the 1000's of hours
spent working on all my rides.

Anyway, thanks for the info, I could probably do the registry hack, but I'd prefer going into settings and being able to turn off
updates. I know you think I need them, but I don't, haven't since the beginning (that's not to say I won't do them if I think
I need them for some reason)..............

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma (1975 FJ-40, 1978 CJ-7, 2008 JKU)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't have a fantasy - I live in the real world where manufacturers have to fight between such demands as broad market appeal, EPA regulations, safety regulations, risk management attorneys, consumer price point, competitive offerings from other manufacturers, and investor expectations - to name just a few. You are the one with the fantasy - the fantasy that Ford could sell a car without sophisticated electronics to keep emissions within legal limits, stop the vehicle in the distances people have become accustomed to, and inflate the pillows when all else fails.

I'm sure you have the experience to stop your car better than modern ABS can, modulate throttle better than traction control can, shift more efficiently than an electronic-controlled transmission can, all that and more - but the truth is, 90+% of the people who are walking into a dealership today can't do that. Think about it - probably half the drivers on the road in the US have never even driven a car without ABS... they wouldn't know how to manage a maximum performance stop or any of a variety of low-traction environments without it. That's who the manufacturers have to build for, and I'm glad they do - because those people are my adversaries on the road. Anything that stops them from accidentally killing me is an improvement.

I'm here to get information on what Ford is going to build; but I'm going to wait to see what they build before I bash it. I acknowledge that it will undoubtedly have as standard equipment things such as air conditioning, power door locks, power windows, auto headlights, electronic transfer case and auto hubs, several drive modes, and OTA flashable PCM - the vast majority of consumers demand such conveniences; and laws, rules, and regulations require the safety and emissions part that necessitates precise (electronic) control of certain systems. If you think the NSA or FBI wants to shut your car off, you have a slew of issues that can't be addressed on an automotive forum.

If Ford re-made the Early Bronco, their market share would be statistically absent. I feel your pain - I would buy a brand-new '77 Bronco if they could do it. But NO manufacturer is going to make your dream car - it's legally and economically impossible. Stick to your principles, and you will never have a new car again. Scream at the sky about the injustice, but it isn't going to change. That simple.
Overall, I agree with what you have written here, even though I empathize with OSB. But just to play devil's advocate - there does seem to be a manufacturer willing to build what OSB is looking for. Check out the Ineos Grenadier: https://ineosgrenadier.com/
The billionaire founder of Ineos Petrochemicals got so ticked off that the new Defender was "soft" and electronics-intensive (sound familiar?) that he sought the rights to build a brand new "old-school Defender". Land Rover rejected his proposal, so he went ahead and started his own car company (its good to be rich... really rich). The Ineos Grenadier will be body-on-frame, solid axles front and rear, lockers front and rear, and super-simple with regard to electronics. Sadly, there does not seem to be a manual transmission option; it will be using the 8-speed ZF (see Jeep JL, Ram trucks, etc.). To me, this seems inconsistent with the overall mission of Ineos Grenadier. Otherwise, it looks like its going to be a new take on an old-school 4x4. OSB: you should check it out! The downside, of course, is that there will not be a dealer network, so I'm not sure what you'd do if it broke down. I'm sure they will address that somehow, but for now it is a pretty big question mark.

Best wishes to all - hope you enjoy your new Broncos! I'm thinking about finally ditching the stick-shift to get a 2.7 Bronco.

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've only been here a few days and already the landscape of this Forum is in view.

Basically; anyone Not wanting every advanced 21st century electronic gadget known to the modern world on the new Ford Bronco - they are instantly accused of wanting Ford to build a new Bronco, naturally aspirated with three on the tree, AM radio and vacuum wipers.

Frankly, not only is this quickly getting old, but the idiocy of it is irritating.

People think new cars last longer because of electronics.
Really? How so?
New cars last longer because of advanced mechanical technology, not electronics.

Sure, there are mechanical components replaced by electronics that last longer such as coil packs replacing distributors and fuel injection replacing carburetors.

That's the point!: some electronics are desired and beneficial, but some are not - especially on a rig designed to be wheeled in remote locations.

For example; Antilock Braking System should be configured for disablement when off road.

I know of NO ONE who likes the lag in Electronic Throttle Control - especially on a Manual transmission.

Electronic Stability Control on an off road vehicle; how does that even make sense? Again; option to disable when off road.

Auto Start/Stop Function - no one wants this - option to disable.

The elephant in the room; backdoor wireless interface able to take total control of your vehicle. Who would voluntarily wish for this?

Electronically actuated brakes - personally I like feeling the feed back when braking.

Is the new Bronco going to have mechanically connected steering or 100% electrically controlled? Call me old fashioned - I want a steering shaft.

Wheel spin is at times desired; so the ability to quickly disable the Traction Control System with a flick of a switch would be nice.

For everyone who wants to flame me - go ahead, I can take it. But don't cry to me when you can't spin a donut on the beach or drift around a corner in your $50,000 2021 Bronco, cause all I'll say is; "told you so".
??????

Sponsored

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh how I miss my vacuum wipers on my 55 Chevy, having to let up on the gas pedal every time I wanted them to wipe going up hill to school ?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Almost everything you're bitching about can be turned off. Pull an abs fuse, push a button, whatever.

Seems like a bunch of "get off my lawn to me," and I pay all my bills with a check and a stamp.

Also, I think your take on the forum is wrong all together. There's room for all.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've only been here a few days and already the landscape of this Forum is in view.

Basically; anyone Not wanting every advanced 21st century electronic gadget known to the modern world on the new Ford Bronco - they are instantly accused of wanting Ford to build a new Bronco, naturally aspirated with three on the tree, AM radio and vacuum wipers.

Frankly, not only is this quickly getting old, but the idiocy of it is irritating.

People think new cars last longer because of electronics.
Really? How so?
New cars last longer because of advanced mechanical technology, not electronics.

Sure, there are mechanical components replaced by electronics that last longer such as coil packs replacing distributors and fuel injection replacing carburetors.

That's the point!: some electronics are desired and beneficial, but some are not - especially on a rig designed to be wheeled in remote locations.

For example; Antilock Braking System should be configured for disablement when off road.

I know of NO ONE who likes the lag in Electronic Throttle Control - especially on a Manual transmission.

Electronic Stability Control on an off road vehicle; how does that even make sense? Again; option to disable when off road.

Auto Start/Stop Function - no one wants this - option to disable.

The elephant in the room; backdoor wireless interface able to take total control of your vehicle. Who would voluntarily wish for this?

Electronically actuated brakes - personally I like feeling the feed back when braking.

Is the new Bronco going to have mechanically connected steering or 100% electrically controlled? Call me old fashioned - I want a steering shaft.

Wheel spin is at times desired; so the ability to quickly disable the Traction Control System with a flick of a switch would be nice.

For everyone who wants to flame me - go ahead, I can take it. But don't cry to me when you can't spin a donut on the beach or drift around a corner in your $50,000 2021 Bronco, cause all I'll say is; "told you so".
Also you should just build your own Early Bronco, or checkout Gateway Bronco to build you one if you can't.
Sponsored