Sponsored

Engine Bolt Pattern same between 2.3L and 2.7L?

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
One more thing I'd be remiss if I didn't mention - the drive modes are tightly integrated with the engine control. As the ECU modulates engine power and directs torque to each wheel, it needs intimate control over the engine's throttle, ignition, fuel, and more. Once you swap in a different engine, that all goes out the window.

Without access to Ford's software and engineering knowledge, it's unlikely anyone could cobble an engine in there and make everything work happily together.
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
One more thing I'd be remiss if I didn't mention - the drive modes are tightly integrated with the engine control. As the ECU modulates engine power and directs torque to each wheel, it needs intimate control over the engine's throttle, ignition, fuel, and more. Once you swap in a different engine, that all goes out the window.

Without access to Ford's software and engineering knowledge, it's unlikely anyone could cobble an engine in there and make everything work happily together.
Frankly, no, I would say 99.99% of the time anyone with skill will be able to out maneuver any ECU terrain programs. Brake/Throttle modulation, lockers, ground clearance, crawl and the right tires for the job is the only thing that makes any difference when your off-roading.

No one in the history of off-roading has been saved from a sticky spot by a program designed to make up for poor driving skills.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

not even jeeps? i guess a winch isn't a program, but still

10aa2ef85be27c1c287f3e26e2a1fb0a.jpg

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
not even jeeps? i guess a winch isn't a program, but still

10aa2ef85be27c1c287f3e26e2a1fb0a.jpg
Actually this is perfect, the driver is either stuck because the tires are not correct for the terrain (either type or size), the rear axle/frame is buried, or both.

There’s no “tune” that can solve this issue, haD the driver had more ground clearance and more tire they would not be stuck.

Say I’m driving on the beach(NC specifically since they have very loose sand), what do I need? Lots of surface area on the sand. So wide minimally - aggressive tires, with about ~12-18 PSI (depending on tire). Finally lots of gearing to paddle through the sand without overheating anything.
I would caution to guess the people hoping the computer to save them wouldn’t realize the tires need to be aired down.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No one in the history of off-roading has been saved from a sticky spot by a program designed to make up for poor driving skills.
What are your feelings on ABS?

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Your "point" was an unprovable assertion that's only believable if you start of with a certain set of presuppositions.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your "point" was an unprovable assertion that's only believable if you start of with a certain set of presuppositions.
If my point is an “unprovable assertion”, then that would make it more scientific than yours. The fact remains that if you require your inputs to be modified by a computer to drive off of a state maintained road, there’s a good chance you should look into a different sport.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What was my point again? I'm pretty sure it was that integration of drive modes with a new engine would be a difficult engineering feat for a home gamer. You then hopped up on your soapbox and started complaining about people not being able to drive, and then parlayed that into making statements about history that can't be proven one way or another?

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
What was my point again? I'm pretty sure it was that integration of drive modes with a new engine would be a difficult engineering feat for a home gamer. You then hopped up on your soapbox and started complaining about people not being able to drive, and then parlayed that into making statements about history that can't be proven one way or another?
Are you having issues keeping up with your own statements? Integrating drive modes is a waste of time, using drive modes is a waste of time. Hopefully most of these trucks don’t leave factory with them.

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Like I said, the soapbox you're trying to shout from has nothing to do with what I was talking about. There are plenty of other threads to complain in, try one of those.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I’m wondering same thing....buy a cheap base 2.3 manual and swap in a 2.7 hmmm. I’m sure it will be done
The problem with a swap like that is engine software. It is mapped to the AT.

I had one of the only BMW 530i's with a 6sp MT when the E60 came out, and it took me two years to get the dealer to figure out the shop flashed in the wrong software (the engine would go flat at 4500 rpm when the auto would shift). Had to force them to communicate with the engineers in Germany.

If the 2.7 doesn't come with a MT in some Ford model, there may not be software to flash. And then you get into warranty issues too.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought I'd read an article that the 7-speed was only rated to just over 400 ft/lbs of torque (406 IIRC). So the 2.7L would be right at its limit unless Ford or the aftermarket stepped up to beef up the internals. That's barring the software issues listed in this post as well.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think someone will figure it out. The 7-speed probably handles more torque than advertised, in the same way engines always handle more horsepower than advertised. I recently saw a company stuff an LS into a new MX-5. They wrote software to have the Mazda system communicate with the new engine setup. It can be done. We just have to wait.

Ford Bronco Engine Bolt Pattern same between 2.3L and 2.7L? 1595634417207

vr00m_vr00m

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Corolla, 93 G20, 87 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Haha 10 years? How long is powertrain warranty? 5 years 60k miles?

it will have a V8 by year 3, at 60k miles.
Don't hold your breath, that may be for the Raptor version.
Sponsored