Sponsored

Engine Changes

Fisherman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Escape
The current Ford F-150 website lists the 2.7L EcoBoost V-6 as an option at $995.00. This engine has outstanding horsepower and torque curves with instant throttle response. I have driven F-150s with this engine using the old 6-speed automatic transmission and the current 10-speed automatic transmission. This is the Ford F-150 power train that would be in the F-150 GT Stage 1 if they actually ever built one in my opinion. This power train has earned the fastest current factory pickup award just two years ago for the quarter mile outrunning every Hemi configuration.

This is the info provided on the Ford F-150 build & price site.

2.7L V6 EcoBoost® with Auto Start/Stop Technology Engine

$995

How can an engine displacing just 2.7 liters deliver a robust 325 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque? Engineer it with the Ford port-fuel and direct-injection (PFDI) system with two injectors per cylinder, dual overhead cam design with variable intake/exhaust cam timing, plus twin intercooled turbochargers for on-demand power. And the 2.7L EcoBoost® with 10-speed transmission is strong. Its upper block and cylinders are made of the same high-strength compacted graphite iron used in the Super Duty® 6.7L Power Stroke® Turbo Diesel.
Sponsored

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

2.7L would be my choice for sure unless the hybrid they come out with is outstanding with comparable numbers to the explorer (explorer is 27 mpg, I’ll be fine if bronco hits 22) and can tow 5,000+ with good umph when I slam the pedal.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
2.7L would be my choice for sure unless the hybrid they come out with is outstanding with comparable numbers to the explorer (explorer is 27 mpg, I’ll be fine if bronco hits 22) and can tow 5,000+ with good umph when I slam the pedal.
I have a Tundra. I'd be over the moon happy with 17mpg HAHAHA

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I follow the F150Forum pretty religiously and everyone over there absolutely loves the 2.7. I would've gone with it in my new truck, but I wanted the max tow and could only get it with the 3.5 eco, which I absolutely love.

I'm not in the least an engine expert, but I figure if it's performing well in the F150, it'd follow suit in the Bronco.

PNW_Bronco94

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I follow the F150Forum pretty religiously and everyone over there absolutely loves the 2.7. I would've gone with it in my new truck, but I wanted the max tow and could only get it with the 3.5 eco, which I absolutely love.

I'm not in the least an engine expert, but I figure if it's performing well in the F150, it'd follow suit in the Bronco.
Do you have an idea about reliability between the 2.7 and 3.5? I've seen people complaining about constant issues with the 3.5.

Sponsored

Adk_st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Toyota 4runner TRD Pro '57 CHEVY 6400
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd be more than happy with the 2.7l. Especially with the 10 speed. They'll have the best powertrain offerings by far vs the competition. Toss in a manual and/or a V8 and Ford wouldn't be able to keep up with production.

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do you have an idea about reliability between the 2.7 and 3.5? I've seen people complaining about constant issues with the 3.5.
From what I've gathered on that forum, folks do seem to have more issues with the 3.5 than with the 2.7. That said, nothing I've read scared me away from the 3.5 when I got my new truck last november, but we're here to discuss the 2.7. Ford has really invested a lot in the eceboost engines and the 2.7 does seem to be the 'stock engine' when searching dealer inventory, aleast on F150's.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, I don't really care what engine is in this thing. From what I understand the 2.7 is an awesome engine... But so is the 2.3.
Like others have stated, I'm really anxious about the manual transmission rumors. I really want confirmation on this soon. It doesn't really seem like something Ford would actually do to me, they seem so proud of that 10 speed.
The one thing the 2.7 would have over the 2.3 is turbo response.
2 small turbos going to be much better than one big one.

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The one thing the 2.7 would have over the 2.3 is turbo response.
2 small turbos going to be much better than one big one.
Which one is going to last longer assuming all else is equal, and not doing any towing? I had to replace my twins before but I got the explorer used.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
:crying:

I'm still clinging to the manual rumors for as long as I can.
Me too, but I just ran the build options on a Taco just in case.
Kind of pissed I waited this long for the Bronco and now the Taco only offers a Manual Access Cab on the TRD Sport line. Anything higher with a manual is only offered with 4 doors.
Really need to know if Ford is truly serious or just mostly serious in taking on the Wrangler.

Sponsored

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine has been great. 2013 3.5 ecob f150 82000 miles. One coil pack failure.

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine has been great. 2013 3.5 ecob f150 82000 miles. One coil pack failure.
next generation EB starting around 2019 is supposed to be even better since I think it runs cleaner, Port Injection and Direct Injection or something like that, so one cleans the other out.

Reactions: BE_

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Which one is going to last longer assuming all else is equal, and not doing any towing? I had to replace my twins before but I got the explorer used.
A larger engine. tuned less aggressively per it's size, will virtually always last longer.
That and the 2.7 was designed from the get go for a half ton truck, 2.3 was made for the MKC first I
I believe (and then mustang). Also, two turbos @ 325 HP are working much easier than one @ 310 HP (or 276 HP maybe).

I also stumbled on this trying to find where the 2.3 was first used. Seems very specific...............

276 hp (206 kW; 280 PS) at 5500 rpm, 310 lb⋅ft (420 N⋅m) at 3000–4000 rpm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine

EDIT: also found this under the 2.7............

Applications[edit]
  • 325 hp (242 kW) at 5000 rpm, 400 lb⋅ft (542 N⋅m) at 2750 rpm

Longshot

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I currently have a 2016 F-150 super cab 2WD with the 2.7l and absolutely love it! I am really looking forward to the new Bronco, but with a small hesitation depending on drive train. I am interested mostly in the 2dr version, but am afraid Ford is going to offer only the 2.3l for this version. If they do actually have the 2.7l/auto in this configuration, I am sold for sure! I just rolled over 50k on my truck and have had 0 issues with it. I get 20-23mpg mixed mileage depending on whether I use the A/C or not... (I'm in AZ) If I put it in "Sport mode" it scoots for a truck this size... I have had Lightnings and several Mustangs including Cobras, so for a non performance combo it does move out for it's size.... I think this would be a great engine choice for the Bronco based on weight, tire size, etc. Just my .02...

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I have a Tundra. I'd be over the moon happy with 17mpg HAHAHA
I can get 18 MPG in my Tundra if I'm easy on the skinny pedal, but it's a 2WD Double Cab with the 4.6L V8...and I'm not always easy on the skinny pedal.

Also, all these posts going back and forth about which EcoBoost the Bronco will get, how much y'all want a hybrid or a diesel, or the Coyote (or Godzilla, really, people?), and all I can think is "I just want to be able to run CNG."
Sponsored