Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello! Could you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this concern for you? Thank you!
Hello Ford. My 2022 2.3 SAS Black Diamond auto makes this exact noise too when the engine is cold regardless of ambient air temp. I've driven other 2.3 Broncos when the engine was cold and they did not produce the noise mine does. Thank you in advance!
Sponsored

HulkBronc88

Big Bend
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hello Ford. My 2022 2.3 SAS Black Diamond auto makes this exact noise too when the engine is cold regardless of ambient air temp. I've driven other 2.3 Broncos when the engine was cold and they did not produce the noise mine does. Thank you in advance!
Does it make a metallic rattling noise around 2-3k RPM under moderate acceleration? That's my issue. Its not idle noise, it's when under load. Its pretty alarming.

pvaska

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
yes, kind of subtle though, like marbles shaking in a coffee can, only alarming because it sounds exactly like (and probably is) pre-ignition which is a known cause of engine damage

HulkBronc88

Big Bend
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
yes, kind of subtle though, like marbles shaking in a coffee can, only alarming because it sounds exactly like (and probably is) pre-ignition which is a known cause of engine damage
Right, and its like how is this happening on so many stock motors? I've been running 93 since the 1st fill-up. It makes no difference. Also put a little E85 in as well, no difference. I am going to do an oil change myself shortly just because. Its at about 2k miles. Im going to get a strong magnet and see how much metal is in the oil.

clcook1

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've run 93 octane from Costco exclusively and it doesn't change the noise for better or worse.

Sponsored

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Right, and its like how is this happening on so many stock motors? I've been running 93 since the 1st fill-up. It makes no difference. Also put a little E85 in as well, no difference. I am going to do an oil change myself shortly just because. Its at about 2k miles. Im going to get a strong magnet and see how much metal is in the oil.
I would advise not doing that if there is a perceived issue. I would not give the dealer any reason to assume you screwed something up.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine with auto is a little noisy when cold. When lows are in the high 40’s low 50’s for first few minutes under load until warmed up. No noise if easy on gas. No noise ever at operating temp.

Nick72

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have also used different gas and different octanes from chevron, shell, texaco, and race trac. No difference at all.

HulkBronc88

Big Bend
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have also used different gas and different octanes from chevron, shell, texaco, and race trac. No difference at all.
And not a single dealer is willing to help anyone.

Nick72

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

And not a single dealer is willing to help anyone.
And I haven't gone to the dealer yet because it won't be doing it when I get there since the engine will be warm, then they'll want me to leave it. That would be fine, but then I won't know for sure if they will even drive it and acknowledge there is a problem.
My last trip was because of the headliner in the sft top coming apart at the seam on the INSIDE. One of the service advisors jumped into the conversation and asked "has it been taken off road?" I was rather taken aback and said that I have done some light trails and then asked what that would matter since it's the inside of the top where the adhesive wasn't holding.
Their response was "I just had to ask because that's one of the first things Ford is going to ask us".

Sponsored

HulkBronc88

Big Bend
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
And I haven't gone to the dealer yet because it won't be doing it when I get there since the engine will be warm, then they'll want me to leave it. That would be fine, but then I won't know for sure if they will even drive it and acknowledge there is a problem.
My last trip was because of the headliner in the sft top coming apart at the seam on the INSIDE. One of the service advisors jumped into the conversation and asked "has it been taken off road?" I was rather taken aback and said that I have done some light trails and then asked what that would matter since it's the inside of the top where the adhesive wasn't holding.
Their response was "I just had to ask because that's one of the first things Ford is going to ask us".
Another member and I are working on using a wireless microphone in the engine bay to locate and record the noise. Seems like thats the only way they will acknowledge it. I showed them a video of my Nest camera showing my alarm going off saying the hood has been opened. Its happening a lot. Thats they only reason they are replacing it for me since they couldn't replicate it at the dealership. We literally have to show like a peer reviewed scientific paper showing that there is an abnormal noise for any kind of assistance...

pvaska

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I left mine at a different dealer to check out in morning when fully cold. They found no codes (which I knew) so said nothing was wrong, then I did a test drive with mechanic who said he heard it but thought it might be something else (like fuel injectors, but this would not happen only under load). I finally had them pull the PID for OCTADJ_R_LRND which is the timing advance that the engine has learned based on octane of gas (range is -1.0 for fully advanced to +1.0 for fully retarded per tuning websites, for some reason my forscan OBD software is not able to pull this PID). My theory was that knock sensors were not working (because values did not change) and that timing was fully advanced, causing the knock. But the value was +0.58 (= relatively retarded) which sounds reasonable considering I run 87 octane (I also tried 93 octane earlier and heard the same knocking). In the end, nothing was changed, I still have the knocking under load when cold and no idea where to go from here. I do give the dealer some credit for sticking with me and not totally blowing me off, they're not really set up to deal with engine sounds that customers complain about but don't cause codes.

Nick72

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I left mine at a different dealer to check out in morning when fully cold. They found no codes (which I knew) so said nothing was wrong, then I did a test drive with mechanic who said he heard it but thought it might be something else (like fuel injectors, but this would not happen only under load). I finally had them pull the PID for OCTADJ_R_LRND which is the timing advance that the engine has learned based on octane of gas (range is -1.0 for fully advanced to +1.0 for fully retarded per tuning websites, for some reason my forscan OBD software is not able to pull this PID). My theory was that knock sensors were not working (because values did not change) and that timing was fully advanced, causing the knock. But the value was +0.58 (= relatively retarded) which sounds reasonable considering I run 87 octane (I also tried 93 octane earlier and heard the same knocking). In the end, nothing was changed, I still have the knocking under load when cold and no idea where to go from here. I do give the dealer some credit for sticking with me and not totally blowing me off, they're not really set up to deal with engine sounds that customers complain about but don't cause codes.
That's what I've been afraid of. Do you also have a rattle coming from the engine as well, or just the pinging?
Mine has both and both disappear after warming up.

swmetal

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C8 vette
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have the same noise on my base model with auto. With so many reporting this noise it is likely just normal: for this engine. We have a 5yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty so I am just not worrying about it and enjoying my Bronco.

pvaska

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
it's definitely a noisy engine, which I can accept, but the pinging specifically is irritating because I know that it's rough on the pistons/connecting rods/etc (even though the sound itself is pretty subtle). I guess there is some possibility that the cause is something different, but it sure fits the profile - sound is exactly what I get on my old land rover v8 when I advance timing too far, and it happens only under load, not in neutral at any rpm. The only thing I can't explain is why only when cold, although it's surely possible that the computer algorithm is advancing timing when cold because pinging usually only occurs when hot.
Sponsored