Hashlak

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sasquatch, Porsche GT3RS, Honda CBR1000RR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Something I have noticed and wanted to discuss or look for solutions, is that the Bronco 2.7 does not seem to manage heat very well.

This is mainly in the desert when off-roading where we need to use quite a bit of power for hill climbs and maintain tourque when swtiching dunes etc etc. Manual mode is best and we keep the RPM high when needed.

In these situations the Bronco really seems to suffer with heat management, 125 degrees C for the engine and 120ish for the transmission can likely happen within minutes and power loss is subsequent.

Not sure if this is the design of the engine, or maybe the small 2.7L block.. However, I wanted to ask here if there would be anyone that can recommend solutions for us to fix this.. Other than the heat, car seems to perform very well.
Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hmm, well I'd say you are definitely pushing an edge case here - dune running in the Middle East would be about the most punishing condition I can think of for the radiator system. Not sure what the ambient temp is when you are out running, but even if it's cool outside your still at the most stressful condition you can be at - high torque, high revs, low speed, and lots of dust and sand. You may need to look into supplementary cooling.

Not to say something can't be tweaked for the stock system, or something that may be wrong - just saying you aren't describing the typical run to the Starbucks, and the stock system may not be adequate for what you are trying to do with it.

I can't think of anything other than intercooler from the current 3rd party market, and not certain if that would help a ton in this case.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Mishimoto makes an upgraded radiator. I don't have it, so I cant really say how much it would help.
There are also many universal aftermarket oil/transmission coolers that I'm sure would help with with those temperatures.

Last edited:

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You have the worst case scenario. High ambient heat, high demand on the drivetrain, and minimal air flow for the heat exchangers. As Duc suggested, your best best is aftermarket radiator, external oil cooler, and external trans cooler. On the oil and trans coolers, get the versions that have built in electric fans.

Not sure if the factory fans on the radiator can be overridden to run all the time?

joes bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco 2017 f150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I started a thread a while back on this subject which ultimately lead to a diy solution. After a bunch of research the following is my plans to doin the following order.

1= remove the trans heat exchanger which really does nothing on it's own to keep trans temps down. It will be replaced with air to fluid trans cooler with a fan with a manual switch to turn it on or off.
2= Put a pusher fan in front of the radiator manual switch controlled. This will require removing the shutters.
3=replacing the factory coolant thermostat with a 180dg. one.

I'm very aware about the warranty issues doing this as I spent some time talking to the shop foreman at my local ford dealer. Bottom line for me is long term reliably, one stay with factory stuff running trans temps in the 220 and higher, as high as 240dg. and coolant temps over 225dg. which is very hard on trans. plus motor, or lower those temps for more reliability.

These high trans temps and coolant temps with all the manufactures, Dodge, Toyota, chevy and ford. Do a internet search, overheating is a common issue. The manufactures want to run high temps for smog and fuel economy which leaves us with very little wiggle rum between normal and too hot temps. Wish I could come up with a better solution but so fare I haven't found one.

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Something I have noticed and wanted to discuss or look for solutions, is that the Bronco 2.7 does not seem to manage heat very well.

This is mainly in the desert when off-roading where we need to use quite a bit of power for hill climbs and maintain tourque when swtiching dunes etc etc. Manual mode is best and we keep the RPM high when needed.

In these situations the Bronco really seems to suffer with heat management, 125 degrees C for the engine and 120ish for the transmission can likely happen within minutes and power loss is subsequent.

Not sure if this is the design of the engine, or maybe the small 2.7L block.. However, I wanted to ask here if there would be anyone that can recommend solutions for us to fix this.. Other than the heat, car seems to perform very well.
I didn't notice anything of the sort while accelerating uphill with my AC on through Death Valley last summer...

OP
OP
Hashlak

Hashlak

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Mishimoto makes an upgraded radiator. I don't have it, so I cant really say how much it would help.
There are also many universal aftermarket oil/transmission coolers that I'm sure would help with with those temperatures.
So I have the CPE intercooler installed and it did help a bit. Ambient temp and average temp is down a couple degrees and it cools down a little quicker, however the max temps still go up when WOT climbs and when holding high rpm (4/5krpm).

Any idea on which coolers would be compatible?

OP
OP
Hashlak

Hashlak

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I started a thread a while back on this subject which ultimately lead to a diy solution. After a bunch of research the following is my plans to doin the following order.

1= remove the trans heat exchanger which really does nothing on it's own to keep trans temps down. It will be replaced with air to fluid trans cooler with a fan with a manual switch to turn it on or off.
2= Put a pusher fan in front of the radiator manual switch controlled. This will require removing the shutters.

I'm very aware about the warranty issues doing this as I spent some time talking to the shop foreman at my local ford dealer. Bottom line for me is long term reliably, one stay with factory stuff running trans temps in the 220 and higher, as high as 240dg. and coolant temps over 225dg. which is very hard on trans. plus motor, or lower those temps for more reliability.

These high trans temps and coolant temps with all the manufactures, Dodge, Toyota, chevy and ford. Do a internet search, overheating is a common issue. The manufactures want to run high temps for smog and fuel economy which leaves us with very little wiggle rum between normal and too hot temps. Wish I could come up with a better solution but so fare I haven't found one.
This is awesome, let us know how it goes..

Summer is approaching here, so it will soon be too hot to go offroading for me atleast. Will be looking to get a proper soluition to this in the next few months before winter season.

OP
OP
Hashlak

Hashlak

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You have the worst case scenario. High ambient heat, high demand on the drivetrain, and minimal air flow for the heat exchangers. As Duc suggested, your best best is aftermarket radiator, external oil cooler, and external trans cooler. On the oil and trans coolers, get the versions that have built in electric fans.

Not sure if the factory fans on the radiator can be overridden to run all the time?

I didn't notice anything of the sort while accelerating uphill with my AC on through Death Valley last summer...
I have also noticed that temps are down slightly when the AC is on so always keep it on haha.

Here is a short clip of use case scenario. And these are the very tame dunes, others are more abusive on the car.

The issues we face which is dangerous, is that when you are mid climb, at an angle or pushing the car at any point and it hits the max temps, the power just drops fast and it can be dangerous at times as you dont want to roll the car when losing momentum so fast.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So I have the CPE intercooler installed and it did help a bit. Ambient temp and average temp is down a couple degrees and it cools down a little quicker, however the max temps still go up when WOT climbs and when holding high rpm (4/5krpm).

Any idea on which coolers would be compatible?
I don't think anyone makes one specifically for the Bronco, so you'll just need to find a universal one and make it work.

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have also noticed that temps are down slightly when the AC is on so always keep it on haha.

Here is a short clip of use case scenario. And these are the very tame dunes, others are more abusive on the car.

The issues we face which is dangerous, is that when you are mid climb, at an angle or pushing the car at any point and it hits the max temps, the power just drops fast and it can be dangerous at times as you dont want to roll the car when losing momentum so fast.

Temps should rise with AC on, not lower! Now if your heat is on that will reduce temps!!!
Let's see a pic of the front of your ride, maybe something you have added is causing issues, I know blocking the airflow is a big no no with the Bronco, but you should see lowered fuel millage before you have overheating issues.

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

I don't know the schematics but I'm sure someone here does but it should be fairly simple to have a relay for the aux fan that cuts on the same time the factory fan does. Just a thought

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There was an older Jeep on a ride one time that kept opening the hood every time he stopped, due to some endemic overheating issue. I would say try that, maybe it'll help.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curiously: Is anyone running water wetter for coolant? I used to run this in any kind of racing motorcycle because 1) it wasn't going to cover the track in a superslick if you crashed and 2) it ran the engine considerably cooler then anti-freeze.
Sponsored