First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just got a BL SAS, 2.7 auto. Did my first trail ride and experienced the following. When going down steep hill and manually downshifting to first or second gear, the engine would surge and the vehicle would accelerate (foot definitely off the gas pedal). Not a nice feeling when it is steep and rocky. I was in 4L rock crawl mode. Anybody else experience this or have an explanation?
Sponsored

TABadlands

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT; 2022 Two Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, unfortunately it's a thing. It was discussed at the Nevada Off-Roadeo when I attended in November. Not sure if there's a fix yet? But I know what you mean. It's a little sketchy shifting going downhill

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yep, unfortunately it's a thing. It was discussed at the Nevada Off-Roadeo when I attended in November. Not sure if there's a fix yet? But I know what you mean. It's a little sketchy shifting going downhill
Did you mean downshifting going downhill? That's what the was stated here, it was when downshifting.

Sounds like a programming issue related to some preprogrammed shift behavior with the throttle closed.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
engine breaking force was overcome by gravitational force because you were going downhill. Without using the brakes, your engine revs higher due to the mechanical linkage to the tires/ground as your speed increased until your engine braking matched your downward velocity component. It is very likely that the computer opened the throttle for emissions as a rapidly closed throttle leads to increased NOx emissions. This would greatly lessen the amount of engine braking available.

Sponsored

TABadlands

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It happened to me upshifting from manual 4WD Low toward the bottom of a hill. I didn't experience it downshifting. But I didn't downshift part way down a steep hill. I was already in manual 4WD Low at the top of a steep decline.

OP
OP
Regulator Johnson

Regulator Johnson

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Was there any mention of what might be causing it, e.g., computer software issue?

TABadlands

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was there any mention of what might be causing it, e.g., computer software issue?
It's definitely computer related. I don't recall the specific details the Off-Roadeo Instructor told us regarding why this happens.

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have had the same problem and wondering if there is a fix. Going down a 25 percent slick rock incline and it has happened to me several times. rather scary.

Sponsored

shnider10

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had the same problem and wondering if there is a fix. Going down a 25 percent slick rock incline and it has happened to me several times. rather scary.
Did you ever get an answer on this? Mine is doing the same when manually downshifting the 2.7 auto it will act like it’s going to accelerate and then begin to gear down.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Experienced the same here too. Bad enough where my 7 year old son noticed it and said “dad why did you speed up?” I didn’t have an answer for him, just like the rest of us here.
Sponsored