Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow that's a rough one. it's hard enough when it's expected :(
At least you have some great photos & memories of your trip together.
Sponsored

Trooper19

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm still processing everything, and this is not the post I was hoping to share. I had meticulously planned my first camping road trip with my dog and Bronco. We were having the time of our lives, and he was such a strong, healthy, great dog. Everyone we encountered love saying hi to him. At 8.5 short years of living together, we had so many firsts on this trip.

Unfortunately on our 2nd to last night on the trip when we arrived at our motel, Thor suddenly became very ill. I thought he may have been motion sickness, as we had a rough day of driving in blizzard conditions. He had a rough night, struggling to keep down water, with no appetite and desire to go on walks. I extended our stay at the motel so he could rest, and by morning with no progress I was searching for nearby vets for urgent care. His stomach flipped (apparently common for larger chested dogs, I had never heard of), and his spleen was enlarged, amongst a nasty fever. They were shocked he was hanging in there as well as he did. He was such a tough dog. How quickly and unexpectedly everything had turned. I was not prepared to say goodbye, and have not been well.

He was my soulmate, and we were never separated. I adored him since I had him, and dedicated my life to making his the best. I am lucky to have so many wonderful memories with Thor, truly a special dog.

With that, I'd like to share some photos of our trip. It was about 3,500 miles from Austin, TX, up Big Sur, and back. The Bronco performed phenomenally, and my lifetime gas mileage went up almost 2.5 mpg (living in the city has equated low smiles per gallon).

First Day Lunch.jpg

Welcome to Texas.jpg

Hidden Bronco.jpg

Tent Nap.jpg

Bronco.jpg

Camptsite Hanging.jpg

BLM Near Tuscon.jpg

Thor sizes up Saguaro.jpg

Hidden Bronco 2.jpg

Desert Night Sky.jpg

Joshua Tree.jpg

Jumbo Rocks.jpg

Joshua Tree Walk.jpg

Jumbo Rocks Night.jpg

Jumbo Rocks Night 2.jpg

Summerland Beach.jpg

Big Sur.jpg

Kirk Creek Camp.jpg

Camp Lookout.jpg

Bunny Saga.jpg

Kirk Creek Sunset.jpg

Kirk Creek Sunrise.jpg

Green Valley.jpg

Gas Stop.jpg

Route 66 Needles.jpg

Locomotive Park.jpg

Sunset Crater Dispersed.jpg

Dispersed Camp.jpg

Forest Road.jpg

Flagstaff Motel.jpg

Snow Munching.jpg
Your story hits me hard , could not read with dry eyes.
As a fellow dog owner of a large Sheperd mix I truly feel for you.
Thore looks amazing in your photos.

20220514_164222.jpg

575-1.jpg

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Your story hits me hard , could not read with dry eyes.
As a fellow dog owner of a large Sheperd mix I truly feel for you.
Thore looks amazing in your photos.

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home 575-1

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home 575-1
That first picture made me laugh out loud. Needed that after reading OP's story.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man, that’s a hard read for us. Can’t imagine being in your shoes. Nothing we can say here to make it any better or reverse it.
But what an epic bit of time you gave him on his journey.
Thor looked to be a proud, happy boy. I read once that the reason they love us so much and so intensely is due in part that they have to fit a lifetime of it in such a short span. And that to us, they are a part of our lives, our day-to-day. But we are ALL of their day, at our whim to give them attention, sustenance, potty breaks.
We truly don’t deserve (as a whole) them.
Sorry for your loss but happy that you were there to give him an epic last ride, and that he had his best friend there beside him the whole time.
❤

MaximuNashville

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry for your loss. I lost my best friend (golden retriever) suddenly last year to aggressive cancer. Fine one day and gone less than a week later. I miss him every single day. No words will make it any better. It’s obvious you loved him though and I’d wager you gave him an amazing 8 years. Any one of us would be lucky to have had the love you shared with him.

Sponsored

Laddyaddy19

Black Diamond
First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima, Evo X, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This just breaks my heart. Thanks for giving Thor a good life and sharing pictures of your adventures with him. Our good friends in Texas lost their German Shepherd a few months ago for the same reason. Came on so suddenly for a young tough and healthy dog. I wish there were words to express my sympathies😢

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How quickly and unexpectedly everything had turned. I was not prepared to say goodbye, and have not been well.

Uggh, I know your pain too well.
We had to rather unexpectedly put our beautiful shep shep Alikay (Al, Bubba, Bubbs, Albus Dumbledog .... dog of a million nicknames) down about a year ago.
It was horrible.
We miss him.
It was our honor to share time with him.

I wish you strength as you grieve and go through this process.

Muddog899

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 f150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm still processing everything, and this is not the post I was hoping to share. I had meticulously planned my first camping road trip with my dog and Bronco. We were having the time of our lives, and he was such a strong, healthy, great dog. Everyone we encountered love saying hi to him. At 8.5 short years of living together, we had so many firsts on this trip.

Unfortunately on our 2nd to last night on the trip when we arrived at our motel, Thor suddenly became very ill. I thought he may have been motion sickness, as we had a rough day of driving in blizzard conditions. He had a rough night, struggling to keep down water, with no appetite and desire to go on walks. I extended our stay at the motel so he could rest, and by morning with no progress I was searching for nearby vets for urgent care. His stomach flipped (apparently common for larger chested dogs, I had never heard of), and his spleen was enlarged, amongst a nasty fever. They were shocked he was hanging in there as well as he did. He was such a tough dog. How quickly and unexpectedly everything had turned. I was not prepared to say goodbye, and have not been well.

He was my soulmate, and we were never separated. I adored him since I had him, and dedicated my life to making his the best. I am lucky to have so many wonderful memories with Thor, truly a special dog.

With that, I'd like to share some photos of our trip. It was about 3,500 miles from Austin, TX, up Big Sur, and back. The Bronco performed phenomenally, and my lifetime gas mileage went up almost 2.5 mpg (living in the city has equated low smiles per gallon).

😢😡
My daughter works at a vet when the get large dogs in to be fix they will ask if you want them to pin the stomach so this won't happen.

So sorry for your loss.

Red Sox 4Life

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette, Lexus GS350, Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Damn Glenn, so sorry for your loss. Just reading your story with all the photos and all the replies brought tears to my eyes. It is so hard to lose an unconditional loving family member. This really hits hard as my unofficially adopted son just had to put his German Shepard (Momma's) down last Friday on my birthday (3-22-24). As others have said, knowing it's coming is hard enough, but so unexpectedly is a real tragedy. Thanks for sharing, I know it was tough.

Slightly off topic, is that Route 66 photo from Barstow CA?

Sponsored

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They give 300% and don't ask for much ,best companions ever.
Time is the only thing that make it a little easier hang in there.

CM81

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
sorry for your loss. It's never easy to lose a dog including when they are part of your family. It really is a cruel part of life that dogs live such a short life.

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Dang, this broke my heart. Take solace in knowing you have a good dog the absolute best life he could have ever had. Cherish the memories… take care man…

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sorry man, that really sucks. Thanks for posting the great pics, sounds like you have some nice memories to go with them.

Fordgirl2003

Wildtrak
First Name
Misty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I cannot express how sorry I am in words. Just know tears are flowing and my heart breaks for you.
Sponsored