First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubicon, 2016 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pac
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm still processing everything, and this is not the post I was hoping to share. I had meticulously planned my first camping road trip with my dog and Bronco. We were having the time of our lives, and he was such a strong, healthy, great dog. Everyone we encountered love saying hi to him. At 8.5 short years of living together, we had so many firsts on this trip.

Unfortunately on our 2nd to last night on the trip when we arrived at our motel, Thor suddenly became very ill. I thought he may have been motion sickness, as we had a rough day of driving in blizzard conditions. He had a rough night, struggling to keep down water, with no appetite and desire to go on walks. I extended our stay at the motel so he could rest, and by morning with no progress I was searching for nearby vets for urgent care. His stomach flipped (apparently common for larger chested dogs, I had never heard of), and his spleen was enlarged, amongst a nasty fever. They were shocked he was hanging in there as well as he did. He was such a tough dog. How quickly and unexpectedly everything had turned. I was not prepared to say goodbye, and have not been well.

He was my soulmate, and we were never separated. I adored him since I had him, and dedicated my life to making his the best. I am lucky to have so many wonderful memories with Thor, truly a special dog.

With that, I'd like to share some photos of our trip. It was about 3,500 miles from Austin, TX, up Big Sur, and back. The Bronco performed phenomenally, and my lifetime gas mileage went up almost 2.5 mpg (living in the city has equated low smiles per gallon).

First Day Lunch.jpg

Welcome to Texas.jpg

Hidden Bronco.jpg

Tent Nap.jpg

Bronco.jpg

Camptsite Hanging.jpg

BLM Near Tuscon.jpg

Thor sizes up Saguaro.jpg

Hidden Bronco 2.jpg

Desert Night Sky.jpg

Joshua Tree.jpg

Jumbo Rocks.jpg

Joshua Tree Walk.jpg

Jumbo Rocks Night.jpg

Jumbo Rocks Night 2.jpg

Summerland Beach.jpg

Big Sur.jpg

Kirk Creek Camp.jpg

Camp Lookout.jpg

Bunny Saga.jpg

Kirk Creek Sunset.jpg

Kirk Creek Sunrise.jpg

Green Valley.jpg

Gas Stop.jpg

Route 66 Needles.jpg

Locomotive Park.jpg

Sunset Crater Dispersed.jpg

Dispersed Camp.jpg

Forest Road.jpg

Flagstaff Motel.jpg

Snow Munching.jpg
So sorry for your loss. I’ve lost a number of dogs over my 66 years. It’s never easy. I hate it and feel for you. RIP THOR!! You were much loved .
Sponsored

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm still processing everything, and this is not the post I was hoping to share. I had meticulously planned my first camping road trip with my dog and Bronco. We were having the time of our lives, and he was such a strong, healthy, great dog. Everyone we encountered love saying hi to him. At 8.5 short years of living together, we had so many firsts on this trip.

Unfortunately on our 2nd to last night on the trip when we arrived at our motel, Thor suddenly became very ill. I thought he may have been motion sickness, as we had a rough day of driving in blizzard conditions. He had a rough night, struggling to keep down water, with no appetite and desire to go on walks. I extended our stay at the motel so he could rest, and by morning with no progress I was searching for nearby vets for urgent care. His stomach flipped (apparently common for larger chested dogs, I had never heard of), and his spleen was enlarged, amongst a nasty fever. They were shocked he was hanging in there as well as he did. He was such a tough dog. How quickly and unexpectedly everything had turned. I was not prepared to say goodbye, and have not been well.

He was my soulmate, and we were never separated. I adored him since I had him, and dedicated my life to making his the best. I am lucky to have so many wonderful memories with Thor, truly a special dog.

With that, I'd like to share some photos of our trip. It was about 3,500 miles from Austin, TX, up Big Sur, and back. The Bronco performed phenomenally, and my lifetime gas mileage went up almost 2.5 mpg (living in the city has equated low smiles per gallon).

First Day Lunch.jpg

Welcome to Texas.jpg

Hidden Bronco.jpg

Tent Nap.jpg

Bronco.jpg

Camptsite Hanging.jpg

BLM Near Tuscon.jpg

Hidden Bronco 2.jpg

Desert Night Sky.jpg

Joshua Tree.jpg

Jumbo Rocks.jpg

Joshua Tree Walk.jpg

Jumbo Rocks Night.jpg

Jumbo Rocks Night 2.jpg

Summerland Beach.jpg

Big Sur.jpg

Kirk Creek Camp.jpg

Camp Lookout.jpg

Bunny Saga.jpg

Kirk Creek Sunset.jpg

Kirk Creek Sunrise.jpg

Green Valley.jpg

Gas Stop.jpg

Route 66 Needles.jpg

Locomotive Park.jpg

Dispersed Camp.jpg

Forest Road.jpg

Flagstaff Motel.jpg

Snow Munching.jpg
This is heart wrenching. I've lived with and owned GSDs since childhood. Absolutely wonderful dogs. I"m crying for you... and maybe little for me.

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

My sympathies to you on your loss. Been there done that, so I know the heartache you are going through. Thor was a a beautiful dog as you have many good pics to remember him by.
Take care and reflect on the memories of this trip

Jo.S.

First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sorry for your loss. Looks like you gave him one last great trip.

Gotchaa

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We are so sorry to hear about your sweet Thor, may his adventures continue in doggy heaven!

First Day Lunch.jpg

Welcome to Texas.jpg

Hidden Bronco.jpg

Tent Nap.jpg

Bronco.jpg

Camptsite Hanging.jpg

BLM Near Tuscon.jpg

Hidden Bronco 2.jpg

Desert Night Sky.jpg

Joshua Tree.jpg

Jumbo Rocks.jpg

Joshua Tree Walk.jpg

Jumbo Rocks Night.jpg

Jumbo Rocks Night 2.jpg

Summerland Beach.jpg

Big Sur.jpg

Kirk Creek Camp.jpg

Camp Lookout.jpg

Bunny Saga.jpg

Kirk Creek Sunset.jpg

Kirk Creek Sunrise.jpg

Green Valley.jpg

Gas Stop.jpg

Route 66 Needles.jpg

Locomotive Park.jpg

Dispersed Camp.jpg

Forest Road.jpg

Flagstaff Motel.jpg

Snow Munching.jpg
So sorry to hear about Thor, I know how hard this can be. I lost a husky during Covid up in the mountains with no nearby Vet/urgent care available to the same cause as Thor. We had just finished a nice 10 mile hike on the PCT, and early in the AM he went quickly as I waited for the Vet to open. It would have taken me the same time to drive to the nearest urgent care, so decided not to move him. I didn’t even know a flipped stomach was possible.

I had already ordered the Bronco and was dreaming of days with the top off and camping (he would have been leashed camping though, this guy would be running wild hunting). Cherish the memories, know that he is in a good place.

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home IMG_2237

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My condolences, and our dog offers his condolences as well

20240331_092759[1].jpg

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is a huge loss, stomach bloat or turn is devastating and as you know, not everybody is aware of this hazard or the symptoms. You gave Thor a wonderful life and you need to take solace in that. That is what we do as dog lovers, give them the best life possible and remember them when they are gone. God Bless and thank you for sharing as that is also part of healing.

Shifts And Grins Fab

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shiftsandgrinsfabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 Bronco Wildtrak Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So sorry to hear about Thor. Looks like you guys were having an epic trip. I have a 6 year old shepherd so I totally understand the bond you two shared. They are amazing and loyal dogs.
Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home IMG_6869

ElonMuk

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All the vehicles
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your boy Thor. As some have mentioned he will always be watching over you even if he physically isnt here any more. Wishing you nothing but the very best

Tomleo67

Big Bend
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' big bend 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
sorry man! R.I.P. Thor

Sponsored

JRMFFL531

Wildtrak
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home IMG_6869

What an adventure for your and Thor both! I'm sorry he has to leave you. And the pain that comes with the loss of your companion hurts like nothing else. And it's awful. But it sounds like he went out like a true warrior. He was on a quest with his best friend. Truly living up to the name Thor. I'm sorry once again. But thank you for sharing your story, and picture of Thor. Your Bronco is BA as well.

kimmiemom64

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
We are so sorry to hear about your sweet Thor, may his adventures continue in doggy heaven!
My heart is breaking for you on the loss of your sweet Thor. He was so lucky to have you as his human and you gave him such a fun and beautiful trip. I pray you find peace through your memories of him. Godspeed Thor 💕

bkirchhoff

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW: '07 328xi, '13 X1, '75 R90/6, '12 R1200GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So sorry for your loss. I’m teary eyed typing this. Thor was a beautiful dog. And it looked like you were both living your best lives right up until that tragic turn. We had an amazing dog (Lizzie) whose stomach flipped. It’s never easy to lose a companion, but it’s especially scary and heartbreaking when it comes on suddenly like that does. Sending you good vibes from our pack today.

DRC

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So sorry for your loss. Thanks for letting me know about this stomach issue so I can watch out for it. I pray you will get to see him again.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

you both were so lucky to have that experience together the pictures i bet do it no justice
hes traveling with you still ...respect to you both and rip to your friend
Sponsored