John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I love when people lay things out like this. Very well said!
Not exactly, because after 3 years its only a drivetrain factory warranty, while the ESP continues the full warranty beyond 3 years. But I agree, its a tough choice.
Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm going to wait and see how mine (if I ever get it) performs and what shows up here in regards to problems. I usually never buy extended warranties, but I'll consider adding it after a year or two if I see lots of problems showing up. I don't drive much on a day to day basis, so others will have way more miles on their rides than me, if lots of issues show up I'll buy the warranty.

I hope I don't have to talk to the 'finance guy' at all, we're not financing (or if we do, not through Ford, have to do some math and see what makes more sense in our case). I'm certainly not buying the warranty on day 1 though.

My main concern is all the electronics and sensors, finding a gremlin in there can be costly. I doubt engine or transmission will be a problem.

LetRBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 Corvette, Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are warranties valid for any Ford dealer? I am buying the vehicle through an out of town dealer and don’t want to have to go back every time I have an issue.

mmorgan

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC JImmy
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Are warranties valid for any Ford dealer? I am buying the vehicle through an out of town dealer and don’t want to have to go back every time I have an issue.
The Ford branded warranty is good at any authorized Ford dealer.

Sponsored

survivormanca

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought a lifetime warranty from mopar for a chrysler town and country for $1800.(They no longer sell the lifetime warranty.)

So, as long as the title is in my name and all service is done on schedule at a CDJR dealer, I am covered.

One month after purchase, we had an electrical short - $4500 repair.
Transmission blew - $3000 repair.
Electric chair broke - $1800 repair.
and several other small claims in the 5 years we have had it that added up to another 2k.

I will keep this car until it crumbles to dust.

No matter what is wrong with it, I pay a $100 deductible.

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It doesn't matter when you buy it. The Ford protect ESP term starts from delivery date. So if you buy a 7 yr/125k power train today at delivery, it will expire on July 7th 2028 or 125k miles, whichever occur first. If you buy the same 7/125k warranty July 7th 2025, it still goes back to today for the years and/or mileage. You'll just pay a little less if you buy it within the first year or 12k miles.

As mentioned on here somewhere earlier, google "Flood Ford ESP" or "Ziegler Ford Protect esp". A lot of guys on the Ranger forum either bought the Ford protect ESP through one of them or used it to get their dealer to lower the price. It is a huge savings!! You save a little if you buy in the first 12 months or 12k miles, but you have until before your 3 yr 36k warranty expires both of which have been mentioned.
this is not entirely correct. You CAN by a USED vehicle ESP (now called Ford Protect) after 3/36 and it is indeed whatever duration you pay for. Meaning the clock and mileage on a used policy starts the day you purchase the policy, it’s not backdated to say 1 new.

Also, your local dealer may genuinely not be able to compete with some of the online pricing. It’s definitely worth using as a negotiating tool, but I can tell you first hand that my medium sized dealer pays more COST for a policy than Flood retails it for. Our higher up regional Ford rep says they don’t get a volume discount for selling more warranties and that they shouldn’t be able to sell online at cut rates at all, but they do and i can’t think of any other explanation. I took the instructor from the Ford technician training school in my town to the finance department and they couldn’t touch online pricing without actually losing money. The benefit of buying local is that you can finance it into your loan payments and support a local business that may support your community if that counts for anything any more.

Last edited:

SurfsUp85

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door Outer Banks, Kia soul 4u
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m hoping someone with knowledge (someone who works at a dealership) will give the 6g Bronco community the “low down “ on extended warranties.
I’ve read where some have already purchased. Would really like the real story on whether they are worth it and what a good deal is. Pros/cons and pitfalls.

I've replaced my windshield 3x under a warranty. Highway rocks suckalso, had engine slap so had to replace my engine. 11k, was covered under the extended warranty.

I plan to get the whole package with the Bronco, extended warranty and the hassle free labour package so I don't even pay for oil changes, breaks, etc.

I feel it's a good bet because this is the first model bronco and I'm one of the guinea pigs.

SurfsUp85

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door Outer Banks, Kia soul 4u
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I bought a lifetime warranty from mopar for a chrysler town and country for $1800.(They no longer sell the lifetime warranty.)

So, as long as the title is in my name and all service is done on schedule at a CDJR dealer, I am covered.

One month after purchase, we had an electrical short - $4500 repair.
Transmission blew - $3000 repair.
Electric chair broke - $1800 repair.
and several other small claims in the 5 years we have had it that added up to another 2k.

I will keep this car until it crumbles to dust.

No matter what is wrong with it, I pay a $100 deductible.
Solid investment! Well played

bbarnshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 1500 Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I usually never buy a warranty or extra insurance on any products whether it be a TV, Car, etc. I've never had any issues (maybe I'm just lucky). However since I plan on keeping my Bronco vs. trading it in every 2-3 years like all my other cars, and given it is brand new (first one in 25 years) with all sorts of tech, I decided to bite the bullet and get one. My dealer is a vendor of mine so I received employee pricing on it and the first brakes, oil change and a bunch of other "first" were included in the package. That brought the price down to under $1,000 for me which was also financed into the purchase price meaning a few bucks per month. For me it was a no brainer to get it while like I said, I hardly ever buy into this. To each their own.

Sponsored

TroutBronc

Outer Banks
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 4runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Buy Ford Protect Premium Care. There are LOTS of aftermarket warranties out there. Some are good, but LOTS are in the business of finding a way NOT to pay claims. Under Ford Premium care probably 90% of the car is covered. Ex. Paint/corrosion not covered. Interior trim and upholstery including dashboard not covered. DESPITE WHAT THE FINANCE GUY WILL TELL YOU, there is NO SUCH THING AS a “BUMPER TO BUMPER” extended warranty. The frustration level increases exponentially on the lower level warranties when you find out after the fact and in a time of need that things aren’t covered. Get the lighting option (an led tail lamp assembly on a Mustang for example is something like $1300 just for the part!) & first day rental option (if you are going to need a rental immediately when goes into the shop). You can negotiate on price and customize your deductible and length of coverage. As others have said, you can also buy online and save some money but you can’t bundle it into your monthly payment this way.

some of these know it all’s and “I’ll never buy an extended warranty, it’s a rip off” types may find themselves crying the blues when something goes wrong out of warranty and they get an estimate in the thousands for what they THINK should be a small repair. Modern vehicles are complicated and it doesn’t take an engine or trans failure to have things start getting real expensive real quick.

they’ll probably just blame the manufacturer for “not standing behind their product” long after the warranty has expired. Claiming its bad customer service or say “I’ll never buy another one if they don’t take care of this.” Guess what, at some point the factory warranty expires. At some point repairing the vehicle does become YOUR responsibility & not the manufacturer’s problem anymore. Extended warranty is a way to protect yourself. Without it you are rolling the dice.

it’s like life insurance. You are betting that you are going to die and the insurance company is betting that you won’t. If you don’t die it could be considered a waste of money, but if something goes wrong it was a good investment (for your family anyway).

I had a customer the other day ask me incredulously if a repair was really his responsibility? “Is that something that I have to pay for? Why isn’t Ford going to stand behind their product? I didn’t do anything to cause this problem, it must have been a factory defect”. Well sir the manufacturer is not responsible mostly because your vehicle is almost 7 years old has 120,000 miles. It’s your baby at this point. The factory warranty covers defects for 3 years or 36k whichever comes first, not forever! & “But I’m still making payments” doesn’t mean your warranty gets any longer I’m afraid.

You don’t have to buy an extended warranty. You might get lucky and never need it. If you aren’t going to keep the vehicle longer than 3/36 (or 5/60 Powertrain) then it’s probably not be a good investment. You CAN get ripped off buying one if you pay too much or get wonky terms. It pays to be an informed consumer.

But if you have a history of or are planning to keep the vehicle long term it’s not a bad idea. I had a customer a few weeks back who had his transmission overhauled under Ford warranty on his 2008 Mustang Bullitt! A 13 year old car still under warranty! I’d say he got his money’s worth out of that policy!

Feel free to gamble and skip it as long as you are willing to take a little personal responsibility for your decision in the event of an unexpected failure down the road. If you are unwilling to or can’t afford to take on that kind of risk then I’d say get the warranty. Just make sure you get the best price you can on the warranty (again they are negotiable) and make sure the time AND mileage fit your realistic needs.

Sorry for the long post
/rant off
Seems like some positing opinions on here are dealers. I would like to know how much dealers make on the sale of these warranties?

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I had a bad experience with a Ford extended warranty in the later 1980’s and haven’t purchased one since. Long story short, new Tempo needed a valve job at 18,000 miles and service dept cobbled together some excuse why it was my fault and therefore warranty didn’t apply. ...

(Edit: just remembered their excuse. Yes, valve job would normally be covered, but it was caused by something in vacuum advance which wasn’t covered so therefore…burnt valve not covered.)
Yep, I hated my ESP I got in 1990 on my Taurus SHO. It was a hard sale tactic, and "bumper to bumper" was thrown out enough times I relented and bought it to get out of there. But in the 10 years I owned the SHO, Ford never paid a penny on several expensive repairs. Always had excuses why it was not covered. I wrote letters and called Dearborn, to no avail. They laughed all the way to the bank. I vowed, now 30 years later, to NEVER BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY AGAIN.
...Modern cars easily last 100,000 miles without major repair work and require little maintenance other than oil changes.

For the Bronco, I'd say if you actually use it to ride trails, if anything breaks after the factory warranty, the warranty company will not cover it due to excessive use...
Agree, and even during the 3 year factory period they may try to blame "rough use" for any power train repair, and make you pay.
After 2 years or so, I'll know if I want to A) keep the Bronco longer, or B) trade it in before the warranty expires. We bought a Mazda 3 in 2012, now at 240,000 miles. It has a "new" engine, a high compression "eco" type. I didn't buy any extended warranties, and it hasn't had any problems. The one thing that went wrong was in the first year, the rubber dashboard started warping. And at under 1 year, Mazda replaced it for free.

If I'd bought an extended warranty on ANY of my vehicles after the SHO, Including my F-150 with 235,000 miles now, I would have lost that money. The people quoting all their engine failures and expensive repairs must be extremely unlucky to continually buy vehicles that always oddly break down when new. But again, if new (within 3 years), what's the concern?

RJC

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m hoping someone with knowledge (someone who works at a dealership) will give the 6g Bronco community the “low down “ on extended warranties.
I’ve read where some have already purchased. Would really like the real story on whether they are worth it and what a good deal is. Pros/cons and pitfalls.
Not worth it if you read closely all off road activity is excluded from service contract and road hazard

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My friend recently had a bad experience with a Chrysler extended warranty on a powertrain where they did not honor it because there was language that said he had to have it inspected annually by the dealership. His bad for not abiding by the terms, their bad by putting that kind of stuff in there as a "gotcha". I've always heard there is a lot of profit (and commission) in warranties, must be so for a reason.
Sponsored