Sponsored

F150, Ford, Rachael Maddow Dont get mad, give it a watch [Off-Topic / Political posts will be deleted - Administration]

How many who viewed this actually watched the video?

• Total voters

JDisFlip

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
Your Bronco Model
Base
So please just leave our politics off the table for 10 minutes and watch this report by Racheal Maddow. Whether you like her or not she reported on a company we all support and love here. It made alot of good points and I hope will help center us as distinctly car centric country. Alot of us already know everything she says, but some dont and may be suprised. So please give this video a chance for a minute.

In all fairness I dont always find her reports or style great and she can have a tone I dont prefer. But honesty and fairness is important in journalism and she often shows it.

Remember this is about Ford, our future, and our country.
šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘ everyone likes better.
Sponsored

Bronco2021RV

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Base
i Wonder if are great great grandchildren will look back at F150 lighting and say that was the turning point ? maybe some of you will be able to find out. Arguing about any of it right now is pointless.

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Interesting replies... you can tell who watched the video and who didn't.

The point was if something has better numbers in every category, people will buy it without regard to its green bona fides. Yes, there is a bell curve of people who will adopt or be able to adopt certain technologies like EVs. It's not a silver bullet for every person. Someone in rural WY won't be able to consider one in the next 2 years, no. However, most of the miles driven in F150s are to and from work with nothing in the bed. An EV F150 would handle that with flying colors and need next to no maintenance.

For those saying battery tech isn't there yet or complaining about battery disposal or referencing how power is generated in 2021... we're in version 1.0 right now. 100 years ago planes barely were off the ground. We've got rovers on Mars as you read this. I have zero doubt new batteries, gen4 nuclear plants or some other new tech will come along and change the game in a positive direction.

It's a great time to be alive. Enjoy it.
Stop teasing us. I'm still waiting on the Jetson tech, or better yet Star Trek. :love:

BFizzy

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Iā€™m not a rocket scientist, but whatever technology we ultimately turn to for electricity production should be built into cars. Right now, weā€™re slowly transitioning from coal to natural gas. Why not just power a car with natural gas rather than having to compensate for all the inefficiencies of storing and distributing electricity on a grid?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
i Wonder if are great great grandchildren will look back at F150 lighting and say that was the turning point ? maybe some of you will be able to find out. Arguing about any of it right now is pointless.
I can pretty much guarantee Bronco will be the final gas vehicle most of us own. Itā€™s pretty clear there is a paradigm shift coming, and especially when solid state cells become feasible... game over. If you have an electric vehicle that recharges in 20-30 minutes and has 400+ miles of range there just really wonā€™t be any need for gas vehicles.

My personal reason for wanting this to happen ASAP is to save oil for air travel, long haul freight, and keeping the ā€œlegacyā€ gas vehicles on the road. There just really isnā€™t any way to have either of those first two things realistically going electric only, so Iā€™d rather convert everything we can to electric and leave oil cheap for stuff where it truly isnā€™t replaceable.

I also think that electric swaps are going to be hugely popular down the line.... Iā€™d bet my life savings that there will be more 2021 Broncos with electric swaps than V8 swaps in 20-30 years.

Sponsored

Deleted member 3063

Change can be hard. Sometimes harder emotionally that in actual practice.

Coal powered electricity, less than 20% of the total this year and shrinking.
Nuke powered electricity, holding at 20% of the total.
Renewable produced electricity, at 17% and rising.

Rural charging? Anywhere there are power lines and a parking lot, though 480VAC is preferred. Charging station prices start at $6,000 and I expect existing gas stations to be the main locations.

Battery recycling, the lithium is recovered and reused, sort of like lead acid batteries today. In fact the majority of your ride is made to be recycled.

Ah for the good old days when the only pollution was horse/cow farts and the dried/ powdered manure you breathed while on the road.

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only reason I would have to buy a F150 is to tow a boat. I don't think I'd want to be dipping an electric truck into the ocean at the boat ramp.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
The only reason I would have to buy a F150 is to tow a boat. I don't think I'd want to be dipping an electric truck into the ocean at the boat ramp.
I would have zero qualms
Ford Bronco F150, Ford, Rachael Maddow Dont get mad, give it a watch [Off-Topic / Political posts will be deleted - Administration] D82306CA-CFBA-40B6-A2D2-1EF0EC261D38

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The point of all this is that when the market speaks, manufacturers react. But conditions change, resources change, and better things come along. An electric vehicle held the land speed record until ~1900. Porsche felt electric autos would be specialized vehicles only, right up until a 4 door sedan ate the 911's lunch for acceleration.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

As she states in the reporting, IF Ford makes a compelling vehicle that people CHOOSE because it is actually BETTER, then the market force of the F-series trucks could substantially tip the scale to drive infrastructure, demand and pricing to make this mainstream. Every day we read about battery technology advancement for capacity, re-charge time, and cost reduction. As those find their way to market viability, and as the cost structure tips toward BEVs costing less to build than ICE vehicles, then you will see a mass wave.

People clinging onto the past who want the vehicle with the most torque, speed, range and at the lowest cost will start to find that electric (of some sort) is likely going to be the answer to a lot of that. Compressed Natural Gas has been around a long time - I remember having a rental in Canada many years ago with it. Hydrogen has some promise, but the electric infrastructure issues are there too. Advancements in the carbon reduction for fossil fuels is great, and hopefully will let us keep our vintage vehicles going into the future. I'm excited to see what gives us great performance. Not so much a fan of the "canned" exhaust sounds - let me be stealth fast, I don't need noise to prove anything... YMMV

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can make a thousand arguments about why electric cars will never work and debate them FOREVER. But one argument no one can deny. Fossil based fuels will eventually run out. If we don't find an alternative source for fossil fuels then civilization will cease.

Looked what happened last week when the pipeline just stopped for 1 week.
Not to be a debbie downer, but what do you think batteries are made from? Heavy metals in the earth have a limited quantity as well. So in a couple hundred years, or less, we could still be having a limited resources debate on lithium and other rare earth metals that make batteries. Politicians will argue for more digging, deeper digging, etc. and people will complain about it. How are we going to charge all the world's batteries? Wind, solar? Nuclear seems to be the best and only option if the whole world goes electrical. In the end, we're going to be faced with the same problem as fossil fuels: How much metal do we have in the earth and how far are we willing to go to get it?

Sponsored

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Itā€™s only ā€œgreenerā€ if you never stop to consider that, for many (if not most) of us, electricity is coal-generated. So, at the moment, ā€œelectric vehicleā€ is generally a euphemism for ā€œcoal-powered vehicle.ā€ Sort of shoots the ā€œanti fossil-fuelā€ argument right in the nuts. By all means, innovate. Increase efficiency. But we arenā€™t there right now and anyone that says we are is... trying to be charitable here... a bit under-informed regarding the operations of the world around them.
Coal only supplies about 20% of US energy now- less than green energy sources.

USASAIL

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo S90, Chevy Suburban, Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not everyone lives somewhere sunny, so there's that...
Not everyone lives somewhere sunny, so there's that...
Is there no sun where you live? FL (where I live) is actually terrible for solar, but it works. I see a ton of solar in the NE US, crappy dreary winters, and it works. Personally I like making money with the panels on the roof. I can't understand why people wouldn't go that way. Financially it makes all the sense in the world.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Human civilization will crumble under its own weight. And that will be that.

Not to be a debbie downer, but what do you think batteries are made from? Heavy metals in the earth have a limited quantity as well. So in a couple hundred years, or less, we could still be having a limited resources debate on lithium and other rare earth metals that make batteries. Politicians will argue for more digging, deeper digging, etc. and people will complain about it. How are we going to charge all the world's batteries? Wind, solar? Nuclear seems to be the best and only option if the whole world goes electrical. In the end, we're going to be faced with the same problem as fossil fuels: How much metal do we have in the earth and how far are we willing to go to get it?

OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Itā€™s only ā€œgreenerā€ if you never stop to consider that, for many (if not most) of us, electricity is coal-generated. So, at the moment, ā€œelectric vehicleā€ is generally a euphemism for ā€œcoal-powered vehicle.ā€ Sort of shoots the ā€œanti fossil-fuelā€ argument right in the nuts. By all means, innovate. Increase efficiency. But we arenā€™t there right now and anyone that says we are is... trying to be charitable here... a bit under-informed regarding the operations of the world around them.
The part you are missing is that coal is greener than gasoline or diesel. And is being supplemented every day by cleaner and cleaner energy sources. Also if x amount of people use x amount of coal today the 1.2x amount of people 10 years from now will use 1.2x amount of coal. How much is there? Innovation is the only solution outside of genocide and Im not going to Vormir to get the Soul stone for Thanos. That dude is nuts!
Shhhhh..... we're not supposed to know this. It may allow for the ICE to survive and it must not. All choices are binary nowadays ya know:)
As long as it can run on a carb. I want EVs and loud stinky engines.
Think about all the real estate solar panels and windmills take up compared to oil.
Who wants to look at all that ugly stuff!
I donā€™t know why everything has to be so black-and-white with each administration!
One is all about oil! One is all about green!

Just a little bit at a time each step forward is all we need.
Other than roofers and that ass in the neighborhood complaining about lawn maintenence guidlines looks at roofs?
Eh, well most of it gets recycled every time the sun sets.
Um no.
I can't. Not enough sun where I live. ;)
Where do you live Nova Scotia Because the norther US states have similar latitude as spain.
I think the irony here is that electric vehicles are absolutely terrible for the environment and we donā€™t have the infrastructure to support the current trends as is. Texas was a great example - itā€™s incredibly hard to ramp up production of electricity and we donā€™t have the technological means to store electricity on a large scale.

Ford (and everyone else) is pushing electric vehicles because the money is in electric (artificially). Between tax credits for manufacturers and consumers, itā€™s easy money. Ford gets to charge more and it comes out of the coffers instead of the end users pocket. Ford makes more money. Yay Ford.

The tech is really cool. Can it ever replace petrol engines without major advancements in power generation and storage? No.

I tried to buy a Mach E.. Iā€™m not exactly a hater, but letā€™s keep it real here. Electric vehicles are more of a stopgap measure being embraced for tax credits. A novelty for the middle class, as it were. Youā€™ll never support a nation full of electric vehicles with green power, either. You likely wonā€™t see it in your lifetime.. the battery tech just doesnā€™t exist.
Our grids can use pumped water storage batteries and run off wind or solar by day. Water power at night. Just redam the dams.
Sponsored