First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Lariat, 2006 Harley Ultra, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I just performed a test tow of my 2021 Ford Bronco Base. This is an 2.3L automatic. It has 2400 miles.

I followed the neutral tow procedure and everything was fine there. I use the RVI Brake supplemental braking system. I ran an always hot 12 volt outlet under the dash to power the RVi brake. I plaugged in the breakaway as well. My umbilical cord/cable has the charge line to keep the battery of the Bronco charged while being towed.

My test tow was about 5 miles through town and then on the 4 lane running about 60 MPH.

When I returned home and went to disengage neutral tow, my brake light was on. And there was a warning that said check brake system. Everything seems fine, brakes are working. But obviously there is an issue.

I am leaving for a family vacation with the motorhome and Bronco in tow on Friday. I need to figure out what the issue is and a solution asap.

The primary reason I purchased the Bronco was to replace my Jeep as my motorhome tow vehicle.

Please help a currently very frustrated RV’er and Bronco owner.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JJBulldawg

JJBulldawg

Base
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Update:

Just went out and cranked the Bronco after letting it sit for about 20 minutes and no warning light. No “Check Brake System” warning.

But that is still not ok. Any thoughts on what caused this and the issue at hand? I have been running this RVi Braking system for years with multiple vehicles (two Jeeps, Explorer, and GMC Terrain) never with a single issue like this.

I need to have a better understanding of what is happening here before setting out on a 6 hour RV trip towing this vehicle.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Are you referring to the BRAKE light on the dash?

OP
OP
JJBulldawg

JJBulldawg

Base
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, the BRAKE light (on dash was on) and remained on once I started the engine, though the emergency brake was not nor was ever set in the process of hooking or unhooking the tow bar.

Also, I had a notification/alert that said “Check Brake System”.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had pretty close to the same think happen to me back in April. The BRAKE lite came and service brake message was on. I finished disconnecting, turned the key off then on and backed up and the lights cleared. Has not happen since.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JJBulldawg

JJBulldawg

Base
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you for the reply. Appears there are very few owners who use their Bronco s a Toad.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes, and I came from towing a Jeep Wrangler for the last 12 years. Taking a bit to get used to getting in and out of tow mode.

Genjuro

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Bronco BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used the search function to find this older thread as I am having the same experience. Did anyone find out why this is happening?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I also tow a 2.3 with the RVI Brake. I sometimes get that warning after leaving tow mode. I believe it is from the RVI system set up which requires you to bleed of vacuum from brake system. When taking out of tow mode and restarting the Bronco senses no vacuum and displays the warning, it disappears sometime after it verifies vacuum is restored. In other word, normal. I've towed a couple dozen times, all good.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have not had any more problems. Find it is best to go slow and follow my cheat sheet so that I don't miss a step. Have noticed that the message about going out of tow mode does not stay on the screen very long, I just watch for the 2H to light up on the Mode knob.
A couple of my friends on other threads have towed a lot this summer and they have not mentioned an issue.

Sponsored

Genjuro

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Bronco BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The vacuum line makes sense, as when disconnecting the bronco after a flat tow, the brake pedal is firm.

Fwiw, I am towing a 2.3 manual badlands using the blueox braking system.

Berggie

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The vacuum line makes sense, as when disconnecting the bronco after a flat tow, the brake pedal is firm.

Fwiw, I am towing a 2.3 manual badlands using the blueox braking system.

I run the blue Ox system with 2.7 auto follow manual and tsb, have 18 different days of towing and unhooking without a single glitch.
I did print instructions and follow each step.
I have talked to few fellow RVers that were surprised it works as they have read from too many doms dayers on this forum that had them believing you cannot tow with brakes.
Let the flaming begin again. 😆

pbryan

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I also tow a 2.3 with the RVI Brake. I sometimes get that warning after leaving tow mode. I believe it is from the RVI system set up which requires you to bleed of vacuum from brake system. When taking out of tow mode and restarting the Bronco senses no vacuum and displays the warning, it disappears sometime after it verifies vacuum is restored. In other word, normal. I've towed a couple dozen times, all good.
I have had this happen a few times too... The times I've checked it's been a code in the brakes about lack of vacuum. It always goes away after starting and driving. I haven't nailed down exactly when it sets the code, but it doesn't seem to be anything of concern.

OverDavidLand

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I experienced the same exact thing doing a flat tow test with the 2.3 over the weekend and using the RVI brake.

I came over here to see if I should be worried and the very first post I found was PBryan saying what I think is the same thing.

In my case, after doing a little practice flat-towing, the dashboard Brake warning light stayed after leaving the flat tow mode even though the brake wasn't on or engaged. Additionally, the dash said "Check Brakes" with the "Ok" button.

No amount of restarting the vehicle or enabling/disabling any breaking components would turn off the light.

However, the brake light went out after driving for a bit but only after restarting the vehicle after a maybe 5 mile drive from my flat tow practice location back to the house.

The "Check Brakes" dash message did not show up again after the restart. It's been driven an additional 30ish miles since then with no appearance or the warning light, dash message, or any weird behavior from the brakes.

Genjuro

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Bronco BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder if this can be recreated by turning off the vehicle and just pumping the brakes over and over until they start to resist
Sponsored