First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For those that are flat towing....tell me about getting setup for it and actually doing it. I may buy a Bronco and switch from the Rubicon I'm currently flat towing. The Rubicon is easy, well supported by aftermarket, and.....easy. How is the Bronco?
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I formerly towed an 05 Rubicon. Really the only bad thing on the Bronco is you are relying on the tow mode (transfer case neutral shift) to engage electrically with no means to verify opposed to the Jeep which is mechanical and verifiable. Hardware is available. Brake set up with the 2.7 needs special attention.

OP
OP

aknavy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Can you use the mechanical Ready Brute surge brake, or does it require an electronic brake?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP

aknavy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for the confirmation. Seems like an easy switch then.

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We also use the Ready Brute set up. Tow bar and their brake system.
The brake is a little tricky to find a route from the brake pedal to out the front of the Bronco.
But, the system works well. We have Black Diamond skid plates and found a route after a bit of looking/trial and error.

Ranbronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We also use the Ready Brute set up. Tow bar and their brake system.
The brake is a little tricky to find a route from the brake pedal to out the front of the Bronco.
But, the system works well. We have Black Diamond skid plates and found a route after a bit of looking/trial and error.
I routed cables thru the shock tower, couple holes in there that make an almost straight shot

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Follow up on those with the Ready Brute, can you show us how you left the brake cable and break away cable at the front of the Bronco? Are they sticking out past the bumper, tucked in, other?

Also what did you use for brake lights? Separate or did you buy something to tie into and use the Bronco's taillights? Any need to keep a charge on the Bronco battery while underway?

Last item, how often do you double check the Bronco is still in neutral mode? At the beginning of each towing day, at each stop? Just curious your routine once underway.

Sponsored
OP
OP

aknavy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't know the first few questions, as I haven't purchased a Bronco yet...but as far as checking that it's in neutral, we check every day when we start moving. The wife observes the tires turning. With the Bronco being electronic vice a manual transfer case, I'd probably check it at every stop until I got comfortable with it. Cheap insurance.

Ranbronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Flat Towing - the good, the bad, the ugly please PXL_20230414_181154808
Follow up on those with the Ready Brute, can you show us how you left the brake cable and break away cable at the front of the Bronco? Are they sticking out past the bumper, tucked in, other?

Also what did you use for brake lights? Separate or did you buy something to tie into and use the Bronco's taillights? Any need to keep a charge on the Bronco battery while underway?

Last item, how often do you double check the Bronco is still in neutral mode? At the beginning of each towing day, at each stop? Just curious your routine once underway.
Lights I use, either strapped to the lift gate or bolted to my bike rack, I charge with a portable USB pack.
Agrieyes Wireless Trailer Lights Kit for Towing Truck, Rechargeable LED Tow Light with Super Magnetic,7 Way to 4 Way Transmitter for Boat Trailer, Caravan, Camper, RV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0936C6SCZ?ref_=cm_sw_r_apann_dp_M6R7M089ZB3T7N3NHWG7

Towing I opened the door and the scree will say tow mode and verify the wheels turn.

Rock hard 4x4 bumper with NSA cable in the middle, e brake cable when no in use is clipped to a wire harness behind bumper when in use comes out under bumper.

Also use 5/8" shackles vs 3/4" cause the safety cables didn't fit the bigger ones. One of those in the picture is laying in Moab somewhere, pin will work loose so remove them if not using.

Last edited:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't know the first few questions, as I haven't purchased a Bronco yet...but as far as checking that it's in neutral, we check every day when we start moving. The wife observes the tires turning. With the Bronco being electronic vice a manual transfer case, I'd probably check it at every stop until I got comfortable with it. Cheap insurance.
Since the transmission is also in neutral it will roll freely even if the transfer case is is not in tow mode. No way to know other than screen display. I sometimes crawl under a feel transmission for warmth, but that may be too late.
Sponsored