Murf

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'94 F150. '15 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Base
Never experienced anything flying into my old FJ40. And we would drive with the top off, doors off, and the windshield down (sometimes)... I think you're overthinking this whole thing,
Sponsored

MaxLD

Outer Banks
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I own a 2019 Mustang convertible with almost 43k miles, mostly driven top off. I've driven from Boston, Massachusetts to LA and back with the top of most of the way, and Boston to Miami and back the same way, and I have never had any problems with any debris flying into the interior. Just don't park under a tree with the roof off and you'll be alright...

JeebusCripes

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜94 M998, ā€˜89 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've owned a jeep for over 20 years and now an open top humvee. I've never had trash or debris fly into my vehicle. I've had the occasional pebble or things fly up and hit me in the face because I've rarely ever had doors on my vehicles. And the old jeep had a rusted out floorpan. If I didn't place my foot just right it was like sprinkler was inside my car during drives in the rain.

I think your friend has bad luck.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Convertible ownership.... such a double-edged sword.

-The first time you get caught in the rain will not be the last time.
-Don't get lazy and park it outside overnight with the top down and then fall asleep if you have a perfectly good garage. That's how you wake up with a soaked interior.
-Leave a top down long enough and a bird will hit its target. It is what it is. Just make sure you clean it up quick because they can be acidic depending on what they ate.
-Sunscreen on long days.
-If you're in a bad neighborhood, don't lock your soft top and take everything you don't want stolen with you.
-As far as being the traveling trash can, it sounds like someone was a pretty slow driver. I've never had that issue.

All-in-all, it's totally worth it. Top-down driving simply cannot be matched, especially when you can take the doors off and rest your feet outside the door. That fresh breeze going up your pants to the nether-regions is oh so sweet.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Convertible ownership.... such a double-edged sword.

-The first time you get caught in the rain will not be the last time.
-Don't get lazy and park it outside overnight with the top down and then fall asleep if you have a perfectly good garage. That's how you wake up with a soaked interior.
-Leave a top down long enough and a bird will hit its target. It is what it is. Just make sure you clean it up quick because they can be acidic depending on what they ate.
-Sunscreen on long days.
-If you're in a bad neighborhood, don't lock your soft top and take everything you don't want stolen with you.
-As far as being the traveling trash can, it sounds like someone was a pretty slow driver. I've never had that issue.

All-in-all, it's totally worth it. Top-down driving simply cannot be matched, especially when you can take the doors off and rest your feet outside the door. That fresh breeze going up your pants to the nether-regions is oh so sweet.
Amen to all of this! Plus, donā€™t park under utility wires where birds like to hang out, or under/near Crepe Myrtles - they are constantly dropping stuff.

Iā€™ve been hit by a bird bomb once (šŸ¤ž) in my Z3, but around here my bigger (literally) with is a deer jumping in. We have a LOT and in certain seasons they are a constant. In the Bronco Iā€™ll only be on the lookout for the birds, but at least itā€™s a washout interior (just wear a hat).

Sponsored

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

kje22kje

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 4Runner TRD Off Rd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Off topic, but oddest convertible thing I ever saw. A convertible flew past on i290 out of Chicago, with a bride and groom in the back. Bride's white dress flapping all over.

Suddenly all the cars hit the brakes, as I see a white blur fly out of the convertible to the pavement. I think to myself dang, that bride lost part of her dress. No, it was the bride, she flew out of the convertible!
Photo evidence
flying-nun-main2.jpg

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the main reason I wear a full face helmet, can't count the times I have been hit with windshield washer fluid from the car in front, (normally right after cleaning the bike) and on clear sunny days, so it was intentional. If this was back in the 70' when I rode HD's I would get in front and toss a ball bearing over my shoulder.
I have been guilty of using my wiper fluid on a clear sunny summer day, to get bugs off my windshield, or whatever else is obstructing my view.

It honestly never would have crossed my mind that someone would take that as an intentionally malicious action on my part.

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You'll be fine in this vehicle as far a debris. We've never had any issues top and/or doors off in our wrangler. As many posters have mentioned, being higher off the ground helps, but another major factor in preventing debris from entering the vehicle roof/doors off is the flat-ass brick windshield. This forces debris coming at the car up and way over the vehicle, unlike a more aerodynamic convertible windshield. The cons to this are obviously poor highway mpgs and more chips in the windshield as rocks take more of a direct rather than angled hit.

AZBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Growing up in Idaho (a/k/a the Gem State), topless cars were prime targets for leaving fresh zucchini from the garden. Everyone had extra zucchini, and everyone was trying to give it away. So anyone with a convertible, and without a bag of zucchini from there own garden to distribute, obviously needed some zucchini. Easy to put your bag in their car. I guess it would hold true for any vegetable that grows like a weed.

Sponsored

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really don't want to have to unload half a clip on anyone, but I will.
Using an M1 Garand is a horrible choice for this application.

Empty the magazine in your sidearm and go full slide lock.

• Haha
Reactions: abe

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks like I'm moving to Arkansas. Never really considered it before today.

Just remember the height of the lift corresponds with the athletic ability of the girls jumping in. Some folks drive around on 40s while others have lowered suspensions. All depends on what you're fishing for.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After reading some of the stories in this thread, I'm just thankful that I will have a washout interior.

jdvz411

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had a grasshopper that happened to be the size of a small cat fly in the rear window of my F-150 yesterday morning. All my windows were no more than 1/3 of the way down.

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This also concerns me just a bit as I live in the Toledo, OH area where the Jeep Wrangler is built. There are A LOT of Jeep owners and employees where I live who may demonstrate a bit of spiteful envy. At least that's what I'll call it!
That reminds me of when I was interviewing for a position with Ford one time. I said, "I currently drive a Jeep Cherokee. Will it survive in the lot?" They said, "As long as it's American, you'll be okay." :)
Sponsored