Allie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey guys!
I am going to be a new Bronco owner! I ordered a 2024 outer banks non sas, 2.7, lux package. I’m So excited! I am not familiar with axles and all that stuff so I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on which one would be good for me. I really don’t have any intention on using the car for off road stuff. I’d rather have a nicer every day driving feel. However, I maybe wanted to add slightly bigger tires than the stock ones one day because….. well it looks awesome. BUT I also may not haha. I guess it’s just nice to have that option if I do…. For now, I’m thinking of just powder coating the stock wheels. So my question is, If I did want to upgrade my wheels to a slightly bigger one, is the 3.7 axle enough?
Sponsored

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey guys!
I am going to be a new Bronco owner! I ordered a 2024 outer banks non sas, 2.7, lux package. I’m So excited! I am not familiar with axles and all that stuff so I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on which one would be good for me. I really don’t have any intention on using the car for off road stuff. I’d rather have a nicer every day driving feel. However, I maybe wanted to add slightly bigger tires than the stock ones one day because….. well it looks awesome. BUT I also may not haha. I guess it’s just nice to have that option if I do…. For now, I’m thinking of just powder coating the stock wheels. So my question is, If I did want to upgrade my wheels to a slightly bigger one, is the 3.7 axle enough?
if you are just going to run 33s eventually on the road mostly, you are good to go

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Always go as low as you can. No one ever wished for higher gears on an off road vehicle.

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST | 23 Challenger SP 1320
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Echo the others. Lowest gear you can get.

Worth considering SAS in your case. It’s $5k but you don’t get charged the $2k for auto on the 2.7. So really a $3k add to you. When you factor in you’d spend $800 to get 4.27’s you are now down to $2,200 to get 4.7’s, front & rear lockers, bigger front axle, better & taller suspension and 35” wheel and tire package.

Depending what you do to upgrade your wheels, you could easily spend that or close to it on wheels alone. In your case, SAS is a lot of bang for the buck even if you don’t use it to full capacity.

If you want to pinch pennies, then at least add 4.27’s for $800. What’s that saying? Spend a dollar to save a penny.

Seriously….doing it now is a drop in the bucket compared to adding later. Plus it’s all under factory warranty and available for day 1 to aspire from mall crawler to certified bad ass. 😜

Last edited:

Sponsored

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Based on what OP is looking for, I would absolutely not add SAS. More noise, weight, fuel consumption, etc. for a 100% on-road vehicle.

OP
OP

Akiick218

Outer Banks
First Name
Allie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I may just upgrade to a 4.25 axle and call it a day. I really didn’t want the sas package as it’s so expensive and I really don’t think I’ll end up switching tires. If I do, I still wouldn’t want them as big as the Sasquatch ones. Based on what I’m reading it seems the 4.25 axle is the best of both worlds

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I may just upgrade to a 4.25 axle and call it a day. I really didn’t want the sas package as it’s so expensive and I really don’t think I’ll end up switching tires. If I do, I still wouldn’t want them as big as the Sasquatch ones. Based on what I’m reading it seems the 4.25 axle is the best of both worlds
I think you'll be mighty happy with your OBX and up to 32-33" tires if you later decide to switch them. If you're doing a lot of highway driving, I'll bet you won't.

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST | 23 Challenger SP 1320
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I goofed up earlier. Forgot the 2024 OBX has auto included in the model pricing so you don’t get dinged that normal $2k upcharge for auto transmission upgrade when selecting the 2.7.

Also SAS pricing is $6,665 on 2024 OBX, which is $1,600 more than used in previous calculations.

Those 2 things negate my previous logic as it’s not just a small premium you are paying for lots of stuff you may not use but instead you are paying quite a bit more for stuff you may not use.

That said I would do your OBX w/o SAS but make sure you get the 4.27’s and rear lockers for $800. That’s a deal!

Other things I would consider. Dual tops for $2,500 is a good deal (only +$700 above hard top premium), unless you are looking at soft top only. And the modular bumper is $1,000 add on the OBX. Up $300 from 2023 but guys that are buying parts to swap is spending $1,600+ if new from dealer as you have to buy all bits & pieces separately. The other option is buy a used takeoff but that too has some headache. Obviously lots of aftermarket options but those will likely be more costly.

Oh yeah, and aux switches for $195 is a no brainer as well.

OP
OP

Akiick218

Outer Banks
First Name
Allie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I goofed up earlier. Forgot the 2024 OBX has auto included in the model pricing so you don’t get dinged that normal $2k upcharge for auto transmission upgrade when selecting the 2.7.

Also SAS pricing is $6,665 on 2024 OBX, which is $1,600 more than used in previous calculations.

Those 2 things negate my previous logic as it’s not just a small premium you are paying for lots of stuff you may not use but instead you are paying quite a bit more for stuff you may not use.

That said I would do your OBX w/o SAS but make sure you get the 4.27’s and rear lockers for $800. That’s a deal!

Other things I would consider. Dual tops for $2,500 is a good deal (only +$700 above hard top premium), unless you are looking at soft top only. And the modular bumper is $1,000 add on the OBX. Up $300 from 2023 but guys that are buying parts to swap is spending $1,600+ if new from dealer as you have to buy all bits & pieces separately. The other option is buy a used takeoff but that too has some headache. Obviously lots of aftermarket options but those will likely be more costly.

Oh yeah, and aux switches for $195 is a no brainer as well.
I got the hard top!l and the aux switches as well. Yes, the sas seems excessive for me considering I am not going to use it for off roading. I am looking to maybe add 33’s so the 4.27 should be plenty!

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2013 F-150 XLT HDPP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I helped a friend order a OBX for herself, she said she'd never take it off road, most likely, but might tow with it. I said either way, get the better locking rear axle, not only better for off-road, if she ever goes, but better for towing as well. I also talked her into the aux switches, to me, they are a great addition at very little cost, only issue is you lose the sunglasses holder, oh well. I'm a little biased, I ordered a Badlands, but I think if anyone asked me about ordering a Bronco, I would always opt for the locking rear axle. It comes with a 4.27, vs 3.73 and you never know when you'll need at one axle that can lock, best to have two if you go off road a lot, but rear is good enough for occasional/rare off road use. But to each his/her own, you get the Bronco you want.
Sponsored