Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra GT Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a math nerd, I decided to calculate the cargo area geometry of a 2021 2-Door Bronco with the rear seats folded down. I then compared that to overall door length and optimal storage orientation. This calculation is based on image reference geometry analyzed in Photoshop and known specs posted on the Ford website.

UPDATE: For a more accurate calculation, I changed the reference dimension from tire diameter to wheel base, per @Fly by Nite recommendation. Thanks!

Ford Bronco Ford Bronco Cargo Space Calculation with Rear Seats Folded Down 2DOOR BRONCO CARGO ANALYSIS-2

There's a few things to note:
  1. In Photoshop, I measured the wheel base in pixels and set that scale to 100.4". The wheel base is the reference dimension for all other measurements.
  2. The overall length (with tailgate tire) does not match the Ford advertised length of 173.70". In fact, it's off by almost a foot. Perhaps the concept models are smaller than the final vehicle. Or, Photoshop messed something up in it's measurement (highly unlikely). I double checked all my work. I also made sure to account for perspective of the vehicle in the image when measuring the lengths.
  3. The back plane of the front seats is marked based on other images I've seen of the vehicle. The back seats and center console seem to end about half way through the separation beam between the first and second row.
  4. The plane of the tailgate is a judgement call. I couldn't find a thickness reference anywhere. I think it's pretty close.
  5. This model doesn't account for the inability to lay the second-row seats fully flat.
Let me know your thoughts or if anything should be adjusted!

UPDATE: See below for the 4-door reference calculations. It felt wrong leaving the big beauty out of the mix! Feedback appreciated!

Ford Bronco Ford Bronco Cargo Space Calculation with Rear Seats Folded Down 4DOOR BRONCO CARGO ANALYSIS
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Set your scale to the wheelbase, 100.4". Should be an accurate spec, unlike tire diameter, which may not be accurate in the 'artists rendering' you're scaling to.

Afro

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The general consensus was there was never a doubt about fitting the doors in the rear with the seats folded down. The concern was fitting them in the back with the rear seats up which we know doesnt work since the 2Dr doors are longer.

OP
OP
SHLYGRR

SHLYGRR

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra GT Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The general consensus was there was never a doubt about fitting the doors in the rear with the seats folded down. The concern was fitting them in the back with the rear seats up which we know doesnt work since the 2Dr doors are longer.
Good point. I think it’s good to see how much wiggle room there actually is back there with the seats down. Seems like you won’t be able to fit much else if the doors are back there.

BroncoChicken

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 Lexus GX, ‘75 Bronco Sport “Buddy”
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Everyone's been asking "do you think we can fit the doors in the 2-door?". Generally the consensus has been "most likely". As a complete nerd, I decided to find out for myself. I calculated the geometry a 2021 2-Door Bronco trunk with the seats folded and compared that to door length and optimal positioning. This is based on image reference geometry in Photoshop and known specs posted on the Ford website.

View attachment 27858

There's a few things to note:
  1. I measured the tire diameter and set Photoshop pixel scale to 156 pixels to 34.36". This is the base measurement for all other measurements.
  2. The overall length (with tire) does not match the Ford advertised length of 173.70". In fact, it's off by almost a foot. Either these aren't actually Sasquatch tires or the concept models are smaller than the final vehicle. Or Photoshop messed something up in it's measurement (highly unlikely). I tried to account for perspective of the vehicle in the image when measuring the lengths.
  3. The plane of the front seats is marked based on other images I've seen of the vehicle. The back seats and center console seem to end about half way through the separation beam between the first and second row.
  4. The plane of the tailgate is a judgement call. I couldn't find a thickness reference anywhere. I think it's pretty close.
  5. This model doesn't account for the second row seats inability to fold all the way down.
Let me know your thoughts or if anything should be adjusted!
The doors are right at 48” long. From the front of the door to where I guessed the back of the cargo area is, it’s about 100”. I agree that you might get close measurements using the wheelbase as the reference point.

1FCF2A09-CF9B-4DB3-BBF2-A03BA9492822.jpeg

1D77EC9B-66B0-41C0-8A94-C677895E33F3.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The overall length (with tailgate tire) does not match the Ford advertised length of 173.70". In fact, it's off by almost a foot.
that's a nice piece of work. But damn - a 10" variance in LOA is pretty surprising. That's a measurement you'd expect Ford to have nailed.

cal jammer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
63.48 inches. thinking sleeping in the back of the 4 door prob isn't gonna work for me.

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
people should keep in mind these shots are taken with various camera lenses from various distances so getting accurate measurements from photographs would be difficult

Sponsored
OP
OP
SHLYGRR

SHLYGRR

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra GT Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is called parallax error. You can see this in the tires on the backside of the vehicle.
I fully agree. When I first started the calculations, I was concerned about the perspective throwing off the calculations. However, I was surprised that the measrument was off by a whopping 10%. The car isn’t skewed that terribly in the picture. Perhaps the camera had a specific fish-eye-esque lens as well?

OP
OP
SHLYGRR

SHLYGRR

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra GT Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

people should keep in mind these shots are taken with various camera lenses from various distances so getting accurate measurements from photographs would be difficult
Great point. This would definitely explain some of the discrepancy with overall length of the vehicle. However, since the door storage calculation is all based on reference geometry, I can image this is still accurate for cargo space fit.

OP
OP
SHLYGRR

SHLYGRR

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra GT Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

63.48 inches. thinking sleeping in the back of the 4 door prob isn't gonna work for me.
The pitfalls of being tall. I feel ya :confused:. Hopefully that 83” diagonal can be used for sleeping length. If you’re too tall for that as well, I think you’ll have a problem with the vehicle head room even with the roof off :ROFLMAO:

cal jammer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The pitfalls of being tall. I feel ya :confused:. Hopefully that 83” diagonal can be used for sleeping length. If you’re too tall for that as well, I think you’ll have a problem with the vehicle head room even with the roof off :ROFLMAO:
haha I'm 6'2" so I'll fit diagonally, but with my fiance back there as well may be a little tight. thankfully she's only 5' so we'll give it a shot.
Sponsored