First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As the only EV truck that looks like a regular truck, I prefer the "boring" design. I think the light bar around the grill and headlights is hideous though.

I'm not sure I could make it work for me though, but a gas F150 isn't right for me either. When I tow I tow heavy. My wife could probably make it work, but she doesn't need a bed so it would be hauling around a lot of mass for no reason.

As EV sales continue to slow I expect more legislation to force people into them. Our overlords know what's best for us.
I think that front end design is what your attention goes towards and itā€™s boring plus ugly.
Sponsored

Mike_D

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4D Bronco BD, '23 2D Bronco Base Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I like how everybody says the infrastructure isn't there for EVs you do 99% of charging at home and if you don't have a means of charging at home it doesn't make financial sense and your going to be paying up to 6 times as much to charge it and waste time sitting at a charger.

I bought a Lightning in January (it wasn't 70k lol) and use it like I used my prior F150 commuting to work, projects around the house and towing my boat to and from the lake.I guess I don't fit the mold of gas vehicles that the drivers drive over 300+ miles daily without stopping and constantly towing šŸ˜‚ I went from pay $80 a week in gas to $60 a month towards my power bill
I think a more common scenario that makes the truck problematic is a 350 mile drive each way 2 times a month, after work on Friday and home on Sunday night. Not many chargers on the route (Northern Michigan and U.P.).
So yeah, 10% of the rides during the spring/summer/fall are problematic. We buy vehicles to cover 100% of our needs

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

OP
OP
MLRey

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
"Maybe once solid state batteries are common place"
I've read about the development and physics/chemistry behind solid state batteries. They've got a long way to go to ever be an affordable solution. Many companies and researchers have worked on them for over 50 years. Being able to make them at a price point that would viable for general use is doubtful anytime soon. In many ways solid state batteries are like fusion power, always 30 years away.

At this point there's too much hype about them and very little about how genuinely difficult it will be to make them work.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford failed to make a lightning in standard work truck spec in the $40-50k price. Price and options are not geared towards middle income who buy trucks for work. The other issue is at 100k I want some form of autopilot that is standard and not a subscription.

Sponsored

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm not going to get into the lack of practicality for all electric cars to the majority of people, nor their stupid prices. That has been proven enough. But specifically about the Lightning itself. Ford marketed it wrong. Completely wrong. They marketed it as an electric replacement to your gas truck. It couldn't be further from that. As a truck it is horrid. As a cool toy or short commuter car it's awesome.

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think it works in certain situations. Starting to see some fleets trying out the Pro version which can make sense for local tasks needing a truck.
We had one on order pretty early on, but let it go when some of the real world numbers came out. We tow a travel trailer and when I saw the dip in range when a decent load was on it, I paused. Then someone mentioned if I wanted to charge while towing distances out of battery range, I would likely have to unhook the travel trailer in order to charge (most charging stations are attached to a single parking space, or otherwise not setup so that the trailer would be out of way from the rest of the driveable part of the parking lot). After that revelation, I was out.
Good friend's wife got the Mach E and loved it. Until she had to travel hours away. Would try to plan stops to charge in her trip plans, only to find the charging station was out of order, charging stations were full with other cars, stuff like that. It meant she could no longer reliably determine when she could be somewhere.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I like how everybody says the infrastructure isn't there for EVs you do 99% of charging at home and if you don't have a means of charging at home it doesn't make financial sense and your going to be paying up to 6 times as much to charge it and waste time sitting at a charger.

I bought a Lightning in January (it wasn't 70k lol) and use it like I used my prior F150 commuting to work, projects around the house and towing my boat to and from the lake.I guess I don't fit the mold of gas vehicles that the drivers drive over 300+ miles daily without stopping and constantly towing šŸ˜‚ I went from pay $80 a week in gas to $60 a month towards my power bill
A standard garage is about 2-3 ft shorter than an F-150 crew cab. Most folks who charge at home want to charge in a garage, not have someone trench buried cables to a post charger. This is why my Boss (who now drives an electric Mercedes) passed on the Lightning he ordered.

Do you have an extra deep garage, or did you install a 240VAC outlet on an exterior wall?

I could get away with an electric, so long as it was no bigger than a Mustang. But half of homes in the country don't even have 200A service.

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just like the Bronco's did. The first year the price was Awesome, and now...

up up up

Would like one, but can't feel good paying what they want for one.
I was a first night reservation holder. Wanted to get the unicorn 40K Pro or I would be okay with the 50K XLT. I was not ā€˜invitedā€™ to order until wave #8 which was December 2022. By then there was no Pro model and the XLT was 63ishK. Needless to say I passed.

Sponsored

TheBlunden

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lightning āš”, 2024 Big Bend order in
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
A standard garage is about 2-3 ft shorter than an F-150 crew cab. Most folks who charge at home want to charge in a garage, not have someone trench buried cables to a post charger. This is why my Boss (who now drives an electric Mercedes) passed on the Lightning he ordered.

Do you have an extra deep garage, or did you install a 240VAC outlet on an exterior wall?

I could get away with an electric, so long as it was no bigger than a Mustang. But half of homes in the country don't even have 200A service.
I keep my boat inside the garage because like you said no full size truck fits in a standard garage. That being said my charger is mounted inside my garage and passes through a dryer vent setup (no exposed metal to the charging cable) I saw on a forum to prevent the cord being constantly smashed by the garage door and have a treated 4x4 post that my holster mounts to. Lucky I have a 200a service to my house that was built in 1997.

Screenshot_2023-12-24-00-40-55-24_ee002f73533d8fc6b657d0be9af85636.jpg

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Keep supply low and you can create an artificial demand, maximizing per unit pricing.

Ozbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands 4 door, 2.7 litre, cactus grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same thing is going to happen to the Scout being only available as all electric.
I disagree.

I've actually never heard of the electric Scout till now. I went to their website, where all I found were flowery pronouncements about how they will change the world and create a better society. So, I think by the time they actually field a vehicle (if they do) we'll have instacharge stations every 5 miles on the Rubicon. ;)

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Love my R1T and "lemon" Mach-e. Have the wife's Bronco and Flex for long trips. It simply is knowing what you are buying and use case. Agree for one vehicle it's a no go.
If Rivian can give me V2H, Iā€™d buy one tomorrow. Iā€™m waiting for the 400mi, 3 row, V2H car.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If they had been able to keep that original MSRP they probably would be the most popular EV on the road.

I donā€™t see too many out here in Central CA - more Rivians than Lightnings (tons of Teslas though).

Not sure if this is chicken or the egg - if itā€™s soft demand that is resulting in a scale back, or if itā€™s corporate wanting to keep the margins fat and prevent oversupply dilution (which Tesla is already contending with)
Sponsored