buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Due to the ongoing semiconductor shortage, Ford is reducing or halting production on multiple models including Bronco, as of next week.

Does anyone within FoMoCo have any Intel on whether Bronco production is being scaled back or halted, and if so, for how long? Auto evolution confirms that production is halted through the 7th, but no word on after that.

[Edited: swapped in Auto Evolution article, which has more concrete delay info and production figures across the North American auto market]

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ction-downtime-over-chip-shortage-180841.html
Sponsored

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Does this mean all future chips will go to ice mountain Broncos?

OP
OP
buck_6G

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does this mean all future chips will go to ice mountain Broncos?
One would hope, as it'd clear out space and generate revenue. It wouldn't really impact Ford's overall liquidity, so they don't actually have to do anything. But hopefully they'd be able to secure production time for the specific components needed to finish Ice Mountain Broncos.

I wonder if Tesla will be hard hit, or if they booked manufacturing time far enough in advance that they'll have a comparably adequate supply for another quarter or two.

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
2024 models for everyone without a current build date.

About Time

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Supertduty 7.3, 59 Custom 300, 78 550 Backhoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored

TXscooterguy

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Corvette Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I got an email this evening from Ford saying that my build got pushed back two weeks - now the week of February 28th. I did not read that the Lima engine plant got idled. If the push back meant that the Lima plant has more time to resolve the 2.7 issue I don't think I'd mind. If the Lima plant is churning out engines that will sit in a warehouse for months, I'm not so happy.

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone within FoMoCo have any Intel on whether Bronco production is being scaled back or halted, and if so, for how long? Auto evolution confirms that production is halted through the 7th, but no word on after that.
Not within Ford, but we already know the news since yesterday. Bronco plant is shut down through the week of the 7th. That means all of next week, starting back up the 12th at the earliest.

When modules containing chips arrive, we suspect the procedure is to put them in whatever is rolling down the line, and if there are any left over, backfill with Ice Mountain. Yes, this means the IM Broncos might be delivered after Broncos that haven't even started production yet, and yes, that sucks. But that's how they keep the line moving, and that's how they handled Dirt Mountain.

I did not read that the Lima engine plant got idled. If the push back meant that the Lima plant has more time to resolve the 2.7 issue I don't think I'd mind. If the Lima plant is churning out engines that will sit in a warehouse for months, I'm not so happy.
Lima Engine is not shut down. Ford has not acknowledged anything about the 2.7L engines, and if they did find an issue, it's possible they fixed it months ago.

The 2.7L engines won't sit in a warehouse for months. They'll be put in Broncos that will then sit outside for months.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.7L engines won't sit in a warehouse for months. They'll be put in Broncos that will then sit outside for months.
Awesome!
Comment of the day!!!

What this means is a glut of Base models requiring fewer chips will be hitting the dealers as stock units, also eroding dealer allocation for higher trim builds.
So yeah, higher trim reservation holders will need to start start looking at 2023 order guides.

Long live the mighty and easily produced Base!
Much like the original 1G Bronco!

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So yeah, higher trim reservation holders will need to start start looking at 2023 order guides.
Yeah after a week of mostly negative Bronco production news, I'm thinking I'm more likely 2023 than not. Even if I got scheduled in the next round -- and Ford actually kept to that schedule -- I wouldn't be seeing it until May. Then 4-5 months later Ford is building MY23s. Given that I have a mega constrained model, an October reservation, and now there are even some MY21s that won't be in garages before late spring, it's looking bleak.

Also I do a lot of semiconductor procurement in my job. Shit's a total mess. And I think my employer is typically higher up in the silicon food chain than auto parts suppliers, so if we're having trouble getting parts, they're REALLY having trouble.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also I do a lot of semiconductor procurement in my job. Shit's a total mess. And I think my employer is typically higher up in the silicon food chain than auto parts suppliers, so if we're having trouble getting parts, they're REALLY having trouble.
All the deniers really crack me up.
What do they do for work? Obviously not buy or use anything?
I'm an electrician. The boxes used for holding switches and receps are in short supply .... Covers for your breaker boxes are short, oddly enough, you can get the panels, not the covers.

I asked about white Decora devices the other day(nicer swithes and outlets) and the supply house guy literally laughed!
"We have some, not many ..."
Canned dog food....
Bacon :oops:

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Due to the ongoing semiconductor shortage, Ford is reducing or halting production on multiple models including Bronco, as of next week.

[Edited: swapped in Auto Evolution article, which has more concrete delay info and production figures across the North American auto market]

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ction-downtime-over-chip-shortage-180841.html
It seems industry-wide, and no one can say for sure, "how long." American auto manufacturers adopted the "just in time" supply chain, cutting down on supply storage, saving money, a much smarter way of doing business. Until it wasn't!
Sponsored