yelirny

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Brand extensions are ubiquitous; walk down the grocery aisle & see that once a product catches on, it becomes surrounded by same-brand variations. Look at what Ford's doing with multiple Bronco products. It's not difficult to imagine Ford segregated into truck/van, Mustang, & Bronco silos - even enables many corporate structural/financial options.
What ford is doing is essentially creating sub brands under the Ford name. Look at Chrysler. They have the Chrysler brand for more general cars, Jeep for their off road SUV brand. Ram for their Truck brand and Dodge for their sporty car brand essentially. Ford has an established Off Road SUV brand name in the Bronco and an established Sports car brand name in Mustang. When Jeep launches the Renegade, a Unibody cross over that looks "rugged" they are using the image that the Jeep has built over the years (with the Wrangler mostly). Ford wants to launch their own little rugged crossover with the Baby Bronco. They could give it a random name with zero name recognition to back up the image they are trying to convey, Or they could pair it with an established name that consumers know. Same goes for the Mach E. They want to convey the sporty aspect of the car. Mustang is the brand name they have that does this. So now Ford is the Master Brand, and essentially the sub brands will be "Ford" for the every day consumer cars, "F-Series" for their truck line, "Mustang" for their sports cars, "Bronco" for their Offroad line and "Lincoln" as their luxury brand. You can make the argument that a baby bronco isn't a bronco and the Mach E isn't a Mustang, just like a Jeep owner could argue a unibody small cross over in the Renegade isn't a Jeep. I know it's not apples to apples because they didn't call it a "Wrangler Renegade", but Ford needs to anchor these new cars to something and an established brand name is likely the best way to do it.
Sponsored

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What ford is doing is essentially creating sub brands under the Ford name. Look at Chrysler. They have the Chrysler brand for more general cars, Jeep for their off road SUV brand. Ram for their Truck brand and Dodge for their sporty car brand essentially. Ford has an established Off Road SUV brand name in the Bronco and an established Sports car brand name in Mustang. When Jeep launches the Renegade, a Unibody cross over that looks "rugged" they are using the image that the Jeep has built over the years (with the Wrangler mostly). Ford wants to launch their own little rugged crossover with the Baby Bronco. They could give it a random name with zero name recognition to back up the image they are trying to convey, Or they could pair it with an established name that consumers know. Same goes for the Mach E. They want to convey the sporty aspect of the car. Mustang is the brand name they have that does this. So now Ford is the Master Brand, and essentially the sub brands will be "Ford" for the every day consumer cars, "F-Series" for their truck line, "Mustang" for their sports cars, "Bronco" for their Offroad line and "Lincoln" as their luxury brand. You can make the argument that a baby bronco isn't a bronco and the Mach E isn't a Mustang, just like a Jeep owner could argue a unibody small cross over in the Renegade isn't a Jeep. I know it's not apples to apples because they didn't call it a "Wrangler Renegade", but Ford needs to anchor these new cars to something and an established brand name is likely the best way to do it.
So we may get a Mustang van?! Or Truck?! Or toaster?! Sweet! Can't wait!

yelirny

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So we may get a Mustang van?! Or Truck?! Or toaster?! Sweet! Can't wait!
Well that's not what I was saying at all... if Ford is smart, and I believe they are, they will establish clear brand guardrails around each of their new brands. You and others will argue the Mach E doesn't fit in your perceived guardrails for Mustang, and it is a valid opinion to have. I don't entirely disagree with that position. But I would be confident a Van or a Truck would be far outside the guardrails Ford would put on arguably their most prestigious brand name. Now a Toaster, that's another story. I can see it now!

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ah yes, yet another thing to frustrate me... forged wheel options for this thing, but all we get for the real mustang is cast...

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So your wife, who owns an EV, is buying this purely for the name?
Her Fusion is a Lease, and it is Hybrid EV. She wanted a Tesla, but the lack of dealer support was too out front for her.
The Mustang meets her needs to:

1. Go Full EV
2. Be in a brand she has a positive experience with
3. Get back into an enthusiast vehicle. Yes, she sometimes buys to be "in" with a sporty edge. Miata, Mini-Cooper, etc... have been in her past

Sponsored

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Being on my 5th and 6th mustangs currently I can see why people are upset that this thing is called a mustang...
They did not commit suicide over the Mustang II?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
But it WAS a 2 door sporty coupe.............
Sorry but I’m not going to call anything larger than a SxS “sporty” with only 90 horsepower and a 13 second 0-60.

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sorry but I’m not going to call anything larger than a SxS “sporty” with only 90 horsepower and a 13 second 0-60.
Well you’re simply wrong here. A Miata has about the same power and an even slower 1/4 mile, yet is the epitome of a sporty roadster

Sure, on only the limited production top spec trims that’ll run you $100k at a minimum because of markups