Sponsored

Ford Performance Tune for WT or should I pass?

Nickhick

Black Diamond
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 xtr, vw passat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Heard lots of great reviews about the Ford Performance Tune - not sure if I have heard anything bad - but, wanted to check..
Was at dealership in Morristown, NJ today - asked if they would install the Ford Performance Tune for me (going to order from Lethal on BlackFriday Sale). They said they could not install it....and that I should check other dealerships for the install. Ok, can do.
Now the questions - and all perspectives are welcomed and appreciated.
1) I am getting 18+mpg in the 4 door WT - in non-highway driving. I dig the performance (usually in Sport). But, more is well....more. Should I not rock the boat? Has anyone had a bad experience with the Ford Performance Tune?
2) Does anyone know if it would void the extended warranty?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts. Appreciate it!
This thread helped me to makeup my mind and just buy one already. Ordered through Lethal so all good. The problem now is I can't find a single aftermarket, or dealership that will install this damn thing so I don't void any warranties. WTF. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Auto 2.7 here. Noticeable power gain. If there is better $/hp out there idk what it is. I also later did larger intercooler and the seat of my pants swear that also gave noticeable gain combined with tune. I will probably keep throwing dumb money at the more is more concept. Having a vehicle that is superbly capable offroad and points its nose at the sky when you punch it on pavement is too much fun.

Never dyno'd of course, bc who cares. Also haven't done science on mpg, bc I was sad about that before i drove it off the lot.

The choice is yours my friend. But you already went wildtrak...you kind of have to do the tune(?)
Any luck with eliminating the turbo lag from stop? I've installed throttle booster, K&N and soon to be intercooler and still have a huge dip when smashing gas from dead stop. If it still lags, I'd probably pass.

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah it's primarily for downshifting.

For on-pavement travel it isn't necessary at all. Makes driving a little more fun I suppose but that's about it. It does help a lot with off-roading. Your shifts become a lot smoother and it prevents you from "upsetting" the Bronco when going through an obstacle. If you make a rough downshift while off-roading you might accidentally break traction and cause a lot of wheel spin. The rev-matching just helps keep everything smooth. Smooth is steady and steady is fast (or however that saying goes ;)).
Smooth is fast, but I think you're going for loose is fast. Both smooth and loose is NASCAR fast.o_O

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Any luck with eliminating the turbo lag from stop? I've installed throttle booster, K&N and soon to be intercooler and still have a huge dip when smashing gas from dead stop. If it still lags, I'd probably pass.
Harder to gauge/wasn't looking for that before I modified. Lag surely seems minimal, but there's always going to be some spooling/never going to be eliminated.

Drive your truck to Vegas and we can take it to the drag strip to compare?

Sponsored

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This thread helped me to makeup my mind and just buy one already. Ordered through Lethal so all good. The problem now is I can't find a single aftermarket, or dealership that will install this damn thing so I don't void any warranties. WTF. Thoughts?
Call ford performance, tell them where you are and ask them for a dealer that has a clue as far as installing their stuff.

I had to go to 3 in Vegas- Gaudin flat out admitted they didn't know how to do it. I think it was Ford Country or Team that told me it would void my warranty (with a big schpiel about saving every receipt of 91+ octane, etc quite the fear trip).

Friendly Ford took it right in and loaded it while I waited. Even bought me a coffee. Too bad they wanted +11k for their Lux badlands last year or I would have been a customer sooner.

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just my 2 cents. I installed mine in about 15 mins. Instructions are 5th grade level. Plug in save current settings so you can always go back, download and install tune. Done. In my opinion if you follow instructions and install the only tune that is available how can they void the warranty if you push the same button as a Ford tech. Not an attorney but I think it would be tough to defend. Have not seen a post yet of the Ford Tune blowing up a Bronco. Ford would probably not blame the tune they installed and fight the claim anyways. Just my thoughts.

OP
OP

973to802

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, landcuiser x2, suburban, 72 alfa, JD 2032r
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you all for your feedback!
I am going to give it a shot. Additionally, I spoke to the rep from FidelityWarrantyServices (CarefreeCarWarranty) - very helpful and professional. I got the all clear for the tune *not* violating the extended warranty. If you have one of those warranties too, I hope it is helpful.
Excited to get this installed by our fellow forum member in NJ.
Thanks again!

SoDak1623

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F150, 2022 Badlands MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Short answer is yes.

other benefits to the tune is ability to calibrate speedometer for tire size and ability to disable auto start stop without having to do it every time you drive. .
And you only have to run premium to get the extra power. Not required for the other benefits.
This is not correct. Premium is required with the tune as specified on the ford performance page. The tune advances the timing and allows for more boost earlier in the rev range. Running less than premium with the tune will likely result in knock under load.

Taltyman

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Rubicon, Ford F350, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I've seriously considered it. It is not a money thing, but rather a utility thing as in, "would I benefit?"

Base Sas, auto with 2.7. A tick under 20mpg. This is my summer driver. the nearest spec of pavement is at least 20 miles if I take a R out of the driveway. 2 hours and over a 12,500' pass the other. No one is driving fast here.

If I dropped the vehicle of for scheduled maintenance, and they brought it up - making it super easy - I might have it done. But it is not worth a trip to the shop for me.
Where near Durango are you? Dang that's a ways to go to get to pavement. We have a summer home in Ouray and love the area. Usually go through Durango coming and going. Is your winter driver a snocat?

Sponsored

Nickhick

Black Diamond
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 xtr, vw passat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Call ford performance, tell them where you are and ask them for a dealer that has a clue as far as installing their stuff.

I had to go to 3 in Vegas- Gaudin flat out admitted they didn't know how to do it. I think it was Ford Country or Team that told me it would void my warranty (with a big schpiel about saving every receipt of 91+ octane, etc quite the fear trip).

Friendly Ford took it right in and loaded it while I waited. Even bought me a coffee. Too bad they wanted +11k for their Lux badlands last year or I would have been a customer sooner.
Just got home from the hour drive back from the only dealership that would install it. ASS is off 🍻, shifting seemed smoother, and definitely more juice! Money well spent

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is not correct. Premium is required with the tune as specified on the ford performance page. The tune advances the timing and allows for more boost earlier in the rev range. Running less than premium with the tune will likely result in knock under load.
I've heard the same thing, that the computer controls timing based on gas features, and the tune changes the parameters the computer uses when there's higher octane gas. So using lower octane "tunes out" the change, because the timing returns to what it would be without the tune.

Not an expert by any means, but that's been discussed several times on B6G. Now wanting to know definitively what the real situation is?

OverlandingPastor

Heritage
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I agree with most folks here, you feel the power (even if you used premium previously). The major benefit of the tune for me is the shifting. After the tune my 23 WT is no longer searching for the correct gear either on or off road (after the break in of course, kind of wonky for the first 500-1k miles similar to early mileage in a stock Bronco as it learns).

I average 11-14 mpg before the tune lol, but the tune seems to have improved it a smidge and also remembers the auto start/stop setting which I like to have turned off.
Did you wait to install the tune until after your WT was broken in a bit or did you do it immediately? My 24 HE 4DR will be at dealership around 2nd week of February and I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and buy the Performance Tune, CAI, and exhaust and have them install it before it leaves dealership OR if I should wait and put a few thousand miles on it first. I'm also not sure if they do any real tuning or if they are just install a pre-configured Tune which has me wondering if I need to make sure they install the CAI and Exhaust first and then the tune.

SoDak1623

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F150, 2022 Badlands MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've heard the same thing, that the computer controls timing based on gas features, and the tune changes the parameters the computer uses when there's higher octane gas. So using lower octane "tunes out" the change, because the timing returns to what it would be without the tune.

Not an expert by any means, but that's been discussed several times on B6G. Now wanting to know definitively what the real situation is?
If you are running a bronco without the performance tune installed then yes, the engine will compensate for running regular, and premium will give you the full performance of the stock tuning.

However, the performance tune changes that. The engine will not automatically revert to the stock tune based on fuel octane level as the performance tune changes the base map, and it was designed to run on premium. The only way to revert to stock tuning after installing the performance tune is to use the procal tool to do so. That is why the tune requires premium for a minimum.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you are running a bronco without the performance tune installed then yes, the engine will compensate for running regular, and premium will give you the full performance of the stock tuning.

However, the performance tune changes that. The engine will not automatically revert to the stock tune based on fuel octane level as the performance tune changes the base map, and it was designed to run on premium. The only way to revert to stock tuning after installing the performance tune is to use the procal tool to do so. That is why the tune requires premium for a minimum.
Interesting. The FP ProCal webpages state "* Premium fuel required*" (sic), so that doesn't seem to disagree. I know I've seen multiple people referring to the computer compensating even with the tune, and I haven't seen any threads about knocking. I know I ran 87 once by accident on a full tank and just seemed to lose some power.

@Ducati1098 You have any insight here?
Sponsored