Sponsored

Ford, PLEASE let us buy parts direct, sick of (some) greedy dealerships.

Hey Buddy

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base Model 2-Door 2.3L 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I guess you do not want to know how much my dumb ass paid to add my aux switches instead of checking the box for $195? :LOL:
The least expensive part of Bronco ownership is buying the Bronco.
The most expensive part of Bronco ownership is buying all of the stuff to do to it.....FOREVER!!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

roadwarrior

Big Bend
First Name
claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
IMO, another prime example of why the third-party dealership model is broken and we should be able to buy vehicles and parts directly from Ford.

So, I broke my driver's side CV this weekend wheeling. I'm on 37's with a Eibach Coil-over lift. I think I hurt it on a super hard trail where I had to bump it over several ledges, finished it off on a super steep downhill where I was wedged against a tree with my rock rail and had to try and reverse under load. Broke off right at the wheel bearing but the stub in that end had enough to keep the wheel bearing pre-loaded, left the stub shaft in the diff side. I was able to drive home almost 3 hours (with no ABS, traction control, or cruise).

Anyway, got home and was looking at replacement parts on Tuesday. Warranty was almost immediately denied by the dealership I use (didn't really push it at all, I understand). Talking to them, they wanted $465 for the cv and the diff seal (which they suggested replacing as well). SO, knowing MSRP on the CV is $406 (Flip posted a screen shot of it last week on another thread), I asked if they could help me out on that price a little, this is how that conversation went:

Me: "Hey, I know MSRP on that CV is like $400, any way you could help me out on that a little?"
Parts guy: "No, we don't normally do anything like that."
Me: "It's an over-the-counter part, not sure why you'd charge me full retail. There are websites where I can order that part for like $280."
Parts guy: "Well that's what you should probably do then."
Me: "Really??? Ya, I'm not asking you to match that price, just asking for a little break given you're not having to do anything with the part but order it. Seems like you could meet me somewhere in the middle."
Part guy: "We're not getting labor on this either. The price is the price."

I ended up ordering it online for $280, $310 shipped. I'm guessing the cost for the dealer on that part is somewhere around $200. MSRP on the Ford Performance M210 CV Set (Part: M-3429-BR) is $495 and that is BOTH sides and they're painted.

I just don't understand why a dealership wouldn't work with a customer who spent $65k on a vehicle from them. I'm not an entitled person AT ALL but damn, NOTHING, they're out here trying to make $200 for a couple of mouse-clicks? I would have been happy with a 10% discount, didn't expect them to price match a whole-sale price at all. The other thing was the disrespect, guy couldn't be bothered to even have a full conversation, basically told me to F-Off without saying it...

My sales guy was awesome, I bothered the SHIT out of him waiting on my Bronco for so long. I told him I'd definitely do business with him again but wouldn't be using the dealership for service moving forward.

Ford Bronco Ford, PLEASE let us buy parts direct, sick of (some) greedy dealerships. 1685717737162
IMO, another prime example of why the third-party dealership model is broken and we should be able to buy vehicles and parts directly from Ford.

So, I broke my driver's side CV this weekend wheeling. I'm on 37's with a Eibach Coil-over lift. I think I hurt it on a super hard trail where I had to bump it over several ledges, finished it off on a super steep downhill where I was wedged against a tree with my rock rail and had to try and reverse under load. Broke off right at the wheel bearing but the stub in that end had enough to keep the wheel bearing pre-loaded, left the stub shaft in the diff side. I was able to drive home almost 3 hours (with no ABS, traction control, or cruise).

Anyway, got home and was looking at replacement parts on Tuesday. Warranty was almost immediately denied by the dealership I use (didn't really push it at all, I understand). Talking to them, they wanted $465 for the cv and the diff seal (which they suggested replacing as well). SO, knowing MSRP on the CV is $406 (Flip posted a screen shot of it last week on another thread), I asked if they could help me out on that price a little, this is how that conversation went:

Me: "Hey, I know MSRP on that CV is like $400, any way you could help me out on that a little?"
Me: "It's an over-the-counter part, not sure why you'd charge me full retail. There are websites where I can order that part for like $280."
Me: "Really??? Ya, I'm not asking you to match that price, just asking for a little break given you're not having to do anything with the part but order it. Seems like you could meet me somewhere in the middle."

I ended up ordering it online for $280, $310 shipped. I'm guessing the cost for the dealer on that part is somewhere around $200. MSRP on the Ford Performance M210 CV Set (Part: M-3429-BR) is $495 and that is BOTH sides and they're painted.

I just don't understand why a dealership wouldn't work with a customer who spent $65k on a vehicle from them. I'm not an entitled person AT ALL but damn, NOTHING, they're out here trying to make $200 for a couple of mouse-clicks? I would have been happy with a 10% discount, didn't expect them to price match a whole-sale price at all. The other thing was the disrespect, guy couldn't be bothered to even have a full conversation, basically told me to F-Off without saying it...

My sales guy was awesome, I bothered the SHIT out of him waiting on my Bronco for so long. I told him I'd definitely do business with him again but wouldn't be using the dealership for service moving forward.

Ford Bronco Ford, PLEASE let us buy parts direct, sick of (some) greedy dealerships. 1685717737162

Hey, I had a similar situation in Feb. 2022. I had just ordered my 2022 Big Bend 2 door w/ sasquach package. I wanted running boards included in the order however I was told I would have to order separately and install when the vehicle was delivered. Went to the parts dept. / they wanted $799 for the part / went online and found a Ford dealer in Michigan that charged me $473 for the identical genuine FORD part. Called my dealer parts counter and they refused to budge on the price. Go figure!!

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ya, I knew this was going to be a big argument of opposing opinions...

I guess it just pisses me off that I have to waste my time to shop around and find a dealership that's going to give me a decent deal to order a part from Ford. They're making a profit off of the transaction for clicking a few buttons, no expertise needed, I had the part number.
I like your post and the responses. ”Two Clicks” and poof nothing but profit?? What about all of the overhead and handling costs, employee salaries and BENEFITS, inventory tax, property lease?

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

There are different level of dealerships when it comes to parts, there are a couple nationwide ones that usually have fairly good part prices. Example Tasca Ford does pretty well, last OEM part I actually bought was a spare tie rod end and it came from them. When I need something I shop around a bit to see which site has the best deal.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford can't get enough parts to build cars, let alone supply dealers with in-stock items.

Ford disincentivizes dealers for providing warranty work by having the ability to stick the dealer with the repair bill.

For disincentivizes dealers from hiring / keeping quality technicians by paying way below value.

Dealers are refusing or delaying work on Broncos not purchased from them.

It sounds to me like they're both in on destroying the current dealer model. I'd be happy to see them replaced by local parts stores and local service centers.

The Bronco is my first Ford. I love my Bronco. I won't recommend Ford to anybody asking me about it. I got better service from Audi with a used, $4k TT that I didn't buy from a dealer.

Only buy Ford for their specialty vehicles; Mustang, Bronco, Raptor and if you have enough money to assume there is no warranty.

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So you're blaming the DEALER, while stating the problem is really the IGNORANT people? You are lost.
I think you missed the context of that statement. It was a reply to the fact that some dealerships sell on-line for a heavily discounted price but when someone walks in the door, they charge full MSRP for the same part. People just accept that as the only price because they don't know (which is the definition of the word ignorant, not knowing). And YESSS I blame dealerships for that shady shit, 1000000%.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not sure how this shows the dealership model is broken. This is exactly how most businesses work. Dealerships try to make money off things they sell just like any other place. If they sold everything at cost or discounted, you’d have no dealership to begin with 🤷‍♂️
This.

I really hate the fact that you are required by law to buy a new car from a third party dealer, but this has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Sounds like a normal and sound business to me.

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like your post and the responses. ”Two Clicks” and poof nothing but profit?? What about all of the overhead and handling costs, employee salaries and BENEFITS, inventory tax, property lease?
Yup, they have operating costs, fully get that. My point is that I am fully equipped to find the part number and order it myself (from Ford). Don't need them to do that, it's a service I shouldn't need them to provide. They make plenty of money selling and actually servicing cars, this is an ordered part, not something they stock or have to handle.

The other thing you obviously skipped over was that I said I wasn't expecting them to sell me the part at cost. I NEVER said that was what I was asking. I said I would have been happy with a 10% discount. They still likely would have made $100+ profit on the part even after their overhead costs. When you have another dealership selling the part for $280 ($310 shipped) AND making money (they wouldn't sell it for a loss), you'd think a 10% discount from $406 leaves PLEANTY of meat on the bone for profit.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Look, I'm not saying dealerships should go away, I'm just saying there are SOME things I wish you could go directly to Ford on.

I think dealerships should stock and sell new and used cars. If someone wants to buy something off the lot, look at different options, test drive something, THAT is the main function of a dealership. Second is to service cars. If I need an alignment or it's something complicated that I can't do, I'll take it in.

I think you should be able to custom order a new car directly from Ford, 1000%. The dealership shouldn't touch it, no profit, no service, nothing. Ford could find some company to ship it directly to the customer, and it would still probably be cheaper than a dealer taking their profit too. The current model is you have to order and HOPE the dealer doesn't decide to sell that car to some else. You have no control. Secondly, I think you should be able to order parts from Ford. I normally don't need someone to tell me what I need, I should be able to find the part myself and verify the VIN on a website. There is NO need to have the dealership take money out of my pocket in that case. If I don't know what I need, then yes, I'll call the dealer and have them help me (then pay they for the expertise).

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Part of me feels like it's time to unload most of my vehicles. The Bronco if it shows up for me, might be the last vehicle I buy in a long time.
DM me with your BRZ info...... 🍻

Axil

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150, Ducati, Harley Davidson
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
All dealerships were once owned by an independent owner or partners. They cared more about a long-term relationship and selling multiple cars to their customers and their families. Now the majority of dealerships are corporate owned by large investment groups that have dozens or even hundreds of stores. They may buy out and use a familiar family name in a particular area but the original owners are usually no longer involved.

I was a dealer parts manager for over 40 years, managed 11 car brands from 7 different countries including 10 years with Ford. Outside of a few special parts programs, Ford, like all vehicle manufacturers will determine MSRP for an individual part and then discount the dealer off of that. A dealer can legally sell at whatever price they want. For years dealers have created their own parts matrix with 10-20 cost ranges for additional profit. I have created at least a dozen parts matrixes for several different makes, some stronger than others. Mainly because of the corporate dealer groups, matrix pricing has gotten out of control. For example, if a clip costs a dime and the mark up is 400%, no big deal. The problem comes in when a part costing $30.00 that has an average MSRP of $52.00 (40% margin), now gets marked up to over $100.00. Price ranges get the most aggressive where there is no aftermarket competition. Many parts departments are forced to care less about sales and more about margins because that’s what they are graded on. They now have a national or regional fixed operation directors that never see customers. They live by spread sheets where it seems only margins matter. They have to justify their non-productive positions somehow.
Sponsored