Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT PP1/2023 Ford Bronco HPR
Your Bronco Model
Base
Seems kinda shady, either from the dealership or owner?!

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My local dealer had my 2.3 for misfire for 3.5 weeks. Ended up replacing the injector. Problem fixed. Running well. Be patient. Give them time to fix properly. I had a spare vehicle so I didn’t push.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My local dealer had my 2.3 for misfire for 3.5 weeks. Ended up replacing the injector. Problem fixed. Running well. Be patient. Give them time to fix properly. I had a spare vehicle so I didn’t push.
I have 2.3 and 2.7. They do not sound great when you first start them but so far they have both worked while I have not pushed them hard yet.

Cmptn845

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 pilot, 16 frontier, 10 maxima
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So my Bronco has been in the shop the past week. Took a drive from Texas to California and back. No problem whatsoever the whole trip.... no heavy revving or driving crazy or anything like that since I had my family in the car. Had done an oil change not too long ago either.

Took it to Ford because it felt wrong as soon as I got back into my driveway and then the engine check light comes on. Sure enough, Ford tells me it's misfiring. It's been in the shop for a week now and they said they plan to install a new oxygen sensor (not sure how that works?), rerun the tests, and drive it on the road to see how it functions. But he said more than likely, they'll need to replace the engine. I have 20k miles on it and I got this back in July 2022 so yea... a little high when I think the usual is ~12k mi to ~15k mi per year.

The service department is telling me though, if I get this new engine, they are telling me that I seriously need to consider selling this (not to them in particular, just sell it in general). They said they've had so many Bronco owners return their vehicles for engine issues.

So what's the general consensus? With a new engine, should I just hold on to it? Do we have any evidence that the Bronco engines have a high failure rate?
New engine, no problems. If you get the latest engine then you got the one that has all the crap issues worked out.

Sponsored

Bugkillah

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
I also have the Ranger with the 2.3, and just a couple days ago the check engine light came on and it was running like crap, sputtering. 46k miles, took to my local mechanic, it was misfire on cylinder 1, replaced the coil pack and she’s as good as new. We had some bad gas at a couple of gas stations in town, it could have also been culprit, but who knows.

Just wondering, is the mechanic asking to buy it from you also a salesman? They’re always asking to buy or trade my vehicles in

ScottyC

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Your service department is nuts....
SD - Uh, you have a misfire, we'll replace an O2 sensor
Also SD - ya know what? We are going to replace the motor to correct the misfire....but make sure you sell it afterwards.

Maybe they should try changing the front seat headrests while they are at it.

Juiceisloose

Big Bend
First Name
JAY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco BB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had a 22 BB 2.3 with similar issue, instead it was 2 cracked injectors. Took Ford about 6-7 weeks to replace due to backorder. That was between Nov 22-Jan 23 less that 5k miles.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol, Ford is not going to replace the motor because of a misfire.

I see you are in Houston. I would be curious to know which dealer this is that had so many bring their Bronco back due to engine issues.

Gregb2771

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150, 2023 bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So my Bronco has been in the shop the past week. Took a drive from Texas to California and back. No problem whatsoever the whole trip.... no heavy revving or driving crazy or anything like that since I had my family in the car. Had done an oil change not too long ago either.

Took it to Ford because it felt wrong as soon as I got back into my driveway and then the engine check light comes on. Sure enough, Ford tells me it's misfiring. It's been in the shop for a week now and they said they plan to install a new oxygen sensor (not sure how that works?), rerun the tests, and drive it on the road to see how it functions. But he said more than likely, they'll need to replace the engine. I have 20k miles on it and I got this back in July 2022 so yea... a little high when I think the usual is ~12k mi to ~15k mi per year.

The service department is telling me though, if I get this new engine, they are telling me that I seriously need to consider selling this (not to them in particular, just sell it in general). They said they've had so many Bronco owners return their vehicles for engine issues.

So what's the general consensus? With a new engine, should I just hold on to it? Do we have any evidence that the Bronco engines have a high failure rate?
Keep it and make sure the new engine has a warranty.

Sponsored

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

they are morons take it to another reputable dealer fix it under warranty and rock on

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Why are they giving you ownership advice at the service department over a repair? That makes zero sense.

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why are they giving you ownership advice at the service department over a repair? That makes zero sense.
Maybe they meant to say we ll rotate the tires and see if that does the trick 
. Honestly not sure I d want those particular clowns working on my rig
 ??

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My first reaction was that replacing the O2 sensor(s) is like replacing your toilet paper because you crapped your pants ;)

but, the O2 sensors are what detects a misfire so they might be thinking they should make sure they are working first ;)
Actually the crankshaft position sensor detects misfires. The O2 sensors will detect the unburned oxygen from the misfires.

There really isn’t a connection between a bad O2 and any kind of engine failure. If a miss is detected, the PCM shuts off the injector(s) for that cylinder, so unless a badly leaking injector caused the miss the cylinder won’t get washed down with fuel.

I wouldn’t worry about any engine problems, and even if one were to develop, the engine is covered 6-60.

I’m constantly amazed at some of the crap people hear from dealer service departments, really amazed!

Freebird32

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F150 4x4, 82 Toyota 4x4 orig owner, 08 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The 2.7 historically has issues with coils/plugs misfiring. It is used on F150s so there is a lot of history since 2015. 2nd gen came out in 2018, with some fixes. Did you ask what codes were read? Unless you have a bunch of metal in the oil from a spun bearing, or they can get a new engine easier than the needed parts, I would question why the engine needs replacement. They didn’t identify a failure mode/cause? Try another dealer if they can’t answer basic questions.
Sponsored